Kenwood Garage Setup - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #1

Maryland
Kenwood Garage Setup

I have a 2014 3950. I have a Kenwood double din deck with a subwoofer and speakers. The subwoofer works with movies being played through the deck, but not with Bluetooth music or radio. I pulled the deck out and there is a spaghetti plate of wires back there. Has anyone pulled all that out and cleaned it up and retired it? I also found that there is no antenna connected, which explains the absence of a radio signal.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #2

Michigan
My radio is fine, but have not tried the Bluetooth. I had issues with only one exterior and the opposite interior speaker working. When I pulled the radio to investigate, I found several wires were pulling away from their connectors and the birdnest back there convinced me to let the dealer handle it under warranty - they did fix it saying the speakers were incorrectly wired at the selector switches for interior/exterior. I plan to add Sirius to it at some point but what a mess behind there. You have me curious about where the antenna might be located...

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I don't know if it will apply to the fancy pants stereo systems you have...
But on mine the radio is connected to the television antenna. Turn the antenna amplifier on and the radio picks up plenty of stations. FWIW I seldom listen to radio, I use my iPod/mp3 player or Pandora most of the time.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

Wyoming
The Sony system in my Voltage 3200 is the same as Aaron's above. The antenna is plumbed into the TV antenna. If you're using RV park cable and wish to use the garage radio... you have to switch from the cable to antenna, which then means you have a bad TV picture if trying to use both at the same time.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #5

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
The Sony system in my Voltage 3200 is the same as Aaron's above. The antenna is plumbed into the TV antenna. If you're using RV park cable and wish to use the garage radio... you have to switch from the cable to antenna, which then means you have a bad TV picture if trying to use both at the same time.
Thanks for the info...that may have been their intent. The antenna does in fact have a coax cable on it, however, it is not connected to anything. I will have to explore some other options, as I have DirecTV and wouldn't be able to turn on the booster. I have the TV setup where I can use the antenna when I do not pull the dish out, though I have not seen what would happen if I am watching satellite and I flip the booster on, may try that today....

Is there any reason as to why the subwoofer only works when a movie is played, but no other sound source?

I did have feedback through the speakers, found that they wrapped the bundle of wires with a power wire, which was providing electrical feedback...unwrapped the bundle and separated everything and the feedback is gone.

Cale

Old 12-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #6

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I don't know if it will apply to the fancy pants stereo systems you have...
But on mine the radio is connected to the television antenna. Turn the antenna amplifier on and the radio picks up plenty of stations. FWIW I seldom listen to radio, I use my iPod/mp3 player or Pandora most of the time.

Aaron
Now that you mention it, I think that was their intent, but the cable is laying disconnected in the cabinet.

Cale

Old 01-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #7

Colorado
Cale, 2014 3950 does the same, sub doesn't work with bluetooth. think that might be a weakness in the Kenwood deck... and the incredible demand they put into using every single deck output to accomplish inside, outside, sub, tv sound, stereo sound, etc. The other thing I thought of, if the inside speakers are off and the sub is on for the speakers outside... kind of defeats the purpose of turning the internal speakers off as the sub is mounted inside. So maybe its intentional.
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #8

Mississippi
BT Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by splash View Post
Cale, 2014 3950 does the same, sub doesn't work with bluetooth. think that might be a weakness in the Kenwood deck... and the incredible demand they put into using every single deck output to accomplish inside, outside, sub, tv sound, stereo sound, etc. The other thing I thought of, if the inside speakers are off and the sub is on for the speakers outside... kind of defeats the purpose of turning the internal speakers off as the sub is mounted inside. So maybe its intentional.
No, go to BT settings on radio and change from front (which is factory default) to all. Have no clue why Kenwood has only front as default in BT mode. I also rewired mine and still had the problem until I googled it and found what I mentioned above.

Good Luck
David
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:22 AM   #9

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
No, go to BT settings on radio and change from front (which is factory default) to all. Have no clue why Kenwood has only front as default in BT mode. I also rewired mine and still had the problem until I googled it and found what I mentioned above.

Good Luck
David
Great, thanks for the info....will be trying out. I am kicking around retiring the speakers, I am not sure they have the speakers wired so that the impedance matches the Kenwood. At first sight, it is ugly, just need to pull apart and look.

Cale