Is there some kind of RESET for the garage bunks? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #1

Washington
Is there some kind of RESET for the garage bunks?

Howdy All,

I have a 2014 3818 Voltage toy hauler, in the six years I have owned this trailer I have NEVER had any trouble with the bunks in the garage. However today I wanted to lower the bunks to get some stuff that is stored on top of them and the bunks didn't go down or up. I shut all the circuit breakers off, then turned them on, tried again, bunks didn't work, checked all the fuses, tried again, the bunks didn't work.

So I was wondering does anyone know if there is a control box, circuit breaker, reset like there is for the sides hidden someplace?

I am an electrical idiot, don't have any electrical test equipment or the skill to use such things, any help or suggestions you can make will be greatly appreciated, thank.

Dave

Old 11-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #2

Florida
Did you remove the safety pins? Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked.

Do the motors make any noise or clicking sounds?

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:35 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Did you remove the safety pins? Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked.

Do the motors make any noise or clicking sounds?
Howdy Thom,

The bed in the front of the garage doesn't have any sort of safety pin, the bed in the rear has two beds, one on top of the other, there are pins to hold the top bunk in place if you only want to use the bottom one, the bottom one has no safety pins.

When I push the switch I get no noise, no movement on either bed, I could understand one switch going bad but the chances of both switches going bad at the same time is pretty slim. It acts like there is no power getting to the switches but I have no idea other then circuit breakers of fuses on what to check. I did take on switch out and looked at it, it receives power through what looks like a telephone cord-jack, I have no idea how to trace that wire back to the power source. Thanks for your post and suggestion.

Dave
Old 12-01-2020, 12:03 AM   #4

Arizona
I had to replace the wall switch once.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:24 AM   #5
RDJ

Washington
On my nephews toyhauler, if I remember right, there are fuses on the motor, might want to also check that if you have power at the switch...
Old 12-01-2020, 12:28 AM   #6

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
On my nephews toyhauler, if I remember right, there are fuses on the motor, might want to also check that if you have power at the switch...
Howdy RGJ,

I'll have to get a ladder out and check the area around the motors for fuses and such, I will have to figure out some way to check for power at the switch, I don't have such equipment.

Dave
Old 12-01-2020, 12:34 AM   #7

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy RGJ,

I'll have to get a ladder out and check the area around the motors for fuses and such, I will have to figure out some way to check for power at the switch, I don't have such equipment.

Dave
Get yourself a cheap Klein tools multimeter. You'll get a lot of use out of it and they're not really expensive.
2016 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
MarylandIUEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:45 AM   #8

California
The bunks won’t have a circuit breaker with the others as they run on DC so only a fuse possible. Given they make no noise at all in either direction I would guess wiring or motor including the switch could be bad.

My guess is when you find it that it will be an easy fix.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #9

Idaho
Power is supplied to the motor first. The small wires to the switch are just signal wires for the operation of the bunks. Check power from the supply wires to the motor first.
littlemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:22 PM   #10

Washington
Howdy All,

Thanks for your suggestions, I am in the process of checking out the electrical components.

Dave
Old 12-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #11

Arkansas
Your problem happened to us twice in our 2014 3905. I had to manually lower them a bit with a socket wrench, once they were lowered the bed started working again. I also remember disconnecting the motor. Dutchman put it in the worst place possible IMO. I try to never raise the beds all the way up and haven't had the problem. I recall reading there is a limit switch somewhere (could be wrong).
Old 12-15-2020, 02:25 AM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Your problem happened to us twice in our 2014 3905. I had to manually lower them a bit with a socket wrench, once they were lowered the bed started working again. I also remember disconnecting the motor. Dutchman put it in the worst place possible IMO. I try to never raise the beds all the way up and haven't had the problem. I recall reading there is a limit switch somewhere (could be wrong).
Howdy EricW,

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried it, still nothing I just don't have the electrical knowledge to trace this down, I do know now that I have 12 volts at the place where the motor plugs into the control box with all the wires running into it, other then that I know nothing.

Dave
Old 12-15-2020, 02:58 AM   #13

California
I would be surprised if the motor completely quit. If it froze you would likely hear a buzz or the lights would dim or flicker ever so slightly when you hit the switch. And if the bunks were jammed somehow I would think the same thing would happen.

I don’t have any other ideas but there are some pretty sharp electrical guys on here that might have some.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #14

Alberta
This has happened to me on more than one occasion. I always got it to correct itself by toggling the switch up and down very fast repeating and it seemed to work and lower the top bunk.
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:17 AM   #15

Texas
HapiJac is now owned by Lippert/LCI. Call them and they will walk you through troubleshooting 801-544-2585.

I would bet it is a limit switch, probably came loose or got caught on something and ripped out. Ask me how I know?.

Good luck.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:33 PM   #16

Florida
Look up happy Jack bed installation it will show all the components and where they go includingLimit switch and troubleshooting there’s a few websites with basically the same information Hope this helps
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #17

Texas
Did you ck the GFI plugs
Ir breakers ?

Scalemaster is offline   Reply With Quote