Is everyone having schwintek issues? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you experienced slide problems?
Too many to count, run away 2 7.14%
Yes, a single major problem 4 14.29%
Yes, a single minor problem 6 21.43%
No problems 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #1

Texas
Is everyone having schwintek issues?

My family and I have found an awesome 2014 Voltage 3950 that we will full time in for the next 3 years. It's a beautiful coach that exceeds our requirements. However, I've read a lot of rants about Voltage owners being very unhappy with the Schwintek slides. So I wanted to know if everyone is experiencing slide issues, even if following the recommended "hold the switch down for and additional 10 seconds after the slide is completely out/in".

Thanks!

drock512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

Texas
My large slide (kitchen and entertainment center) operates very slow, but has always worked. I was cautioned by the dealer to always level the RV before operating the slides.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #3

Texas
No problems with mine so far, Three rules I follow...

1. Level
2. Use shore or generator power so the motors have 12V from the converter
3. Lubricate

Schwintek issues I've read about...

Improper installation from the factory, ie misaligned gear racks, this problem will be evident right on/off the dealer lot.

Warping of the slide box from water penetration binding the slide.

Older Models with under powered motors, I was told this was corrected in 2014

Operating slide motors on a weak battery

Can anyone add to this list???

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #4

Michigan
HornedToad - everything you say applies. Only thing I have done differntly in our first year was not to use the generator or shore power. WIll I this year? Maybe. I have 4-6 volt deep cycle batteries and 400-watts of solar so I can only assume this is why I have not had a problem.

Only issue I had was the front motor on the bedroom slide errored out once and we discovered that the slide out frame screws had broken during a trip when it rained. Apparently the motor got wet and shorted. Over ride allowed us to extend it and stay for the trip as well as close it for the trip home. Dried it all up and the warranty covered replacing the screws and resealing it.

No other slide issues on our rig (knock, knock , knock)
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #5

Texas
Don, I don't trust my single stock 12V battery, that the overhead lights will dim yellow after a few hours, to power my slide motors.

With solar you can depend on your batteries. I just don't think I'll ever add solar which keeps the batteries charged up, just about year round I have to run the generator for enough watts to power the ACs.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:08 AM   #6

Delaware
Not a toy hauler but I have a large Schwintec slide in my Aerolite. No problems after 1.5 years. I lubricate the seals, bought that special ($$) lube Schwintec says to use on their YouTube Videos, and also hold the button for a full 10 count after (EVERY TIME) after the slide stops when I go in and out. This tip was also in one of their videos. Finally, I don't go halfway and then start again. It's all or noting.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:49 AM   #7

Louisiana
Have not had any issues with my Schwintec slides. I have the Voltage 3600, which I think has a longer slide than most of the other Voltage models. As others have said, try to operate only when on shore power or generator, only use when level or when hitched (no landing gear down), and keep it lubed.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:25 AM   #8

California
We have a 2014 Voltage 3895. It will be a year old in April. We have not had any problems with the slides. We always make sure we are level before opening them, and use shore or generator power when we do. We were told this by the service department.
Bmxboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:26 AM   #9

Arizona
My main slide had a wheel on the side wall track fail. Took many months for parts but was rebuilt and no further issues. Still, I wouldn't buy another RV with a Schwintek slide.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Don, I don't trust my single stock 12V battery, that the overhead lights will dim yellow after a few hours, to power my slide motors.

With solar you can depend on your batteries. I just don't think I'll ever add solar which keeps the batteries charged up, just about year round I have to run the generator for enough watts to power the ACs.
Agree 100%. If I had not upgraded my 12v storage capacity, I'd be doing the same!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #11

Tennessee
My baby slide is still working. Fingers and toes crossed.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:40 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Two major problems with the large slide culminating in seven months of dealership prison, four motors, two sets of tracks, complete removal (once) of the entire box and out of pocket lodging expenses.

My confidence level in the ****tek slide system is so low that I purchased a small house to use as a home base because I don't trust the system to work when I need it to work.

I'd stay away from this system and I wouldn't jump on the new cable system as of yet. Albeit, the cable system has worked better than the ****tek system but I feel it's in its shake down stage. I'd wait a year to see if the manufacture managed to get it right, we know the ****tek didn't work, hence the return of the cable system.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #13

Texas
We have only owed our 2014 3990 Voltage for a little over a year. Have had nothing but slide issues every time we use it. On our recent trip main slide only went 1\4 of the way out and stuck. Managed to get it pushed back in. Got it back out, got it in with some pushing. Bounced open on the way home, enough that it's not sealed. Won't go in or out now, even with the over ride. Going for the lemon law with it. It has been nothing but a nightmare!
Old 03-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
I would be interested to see an industry wide post mortem of this slide system. I know a couple of manufacturers that are using it with minimal issues. My gut instinct is that the system is okay as long as it is sized correctly and installed correctly. From what I have seen is has very narrow allowable operation parameters. Unfortunately Dutchmen is unable to build anything to a close enough tolerance to meet those requirements. Slides have gotten bigger and heavier, as they do the systems need to be re-engineered.

I know this isn't helping anyone that has issues, but given the fact that most of the issues seem to be contained to a couple of manufacturers with known QC issues and mainly on the larger slides, to me is a huge red flag.

I hope the new system will work better for people, but given the industry track record I wouldn't hold my breath.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #15

New Jersey
V 3105 Bedroom Slide Failure

When we went to retract the bedroom slide to leave FL last November, it would not come it. Showing a wiring fault. Fortunately, a local service tech was there within 45 minutes on a Saturday morning. Said one motor had gotten wet and shorted. He popped the motor out, and he pushed that side while I ran the power to the other motor and we were able to work it back in. I thought the poor guy was going to have a heart attack, and that's the smallest slide. Not having a manual crank system is crazy.

We got back to NJ just before Thanksgiving, and the RV has been snowed in the driveway until last week. I finally got it into the local RV service center. Service writer called and asked if I was sitting down. He said the slide seals failed, and water got in. Not only is the motor shot, but the column that supports everything is rusted and binding. Total parts, shipping, and labor is about $1,200. Oh by the way, the other column is showing signs of rust, and they suggest we replace both motors and columns. Combined shipping and probably not much more in labor, it's only $1,700. Double ouch. Not to mention they can't get the parts for us to leave on schedule in two weeks.

They are recommending we put slide toppers on all 3 slides to protect the motors. Says it's cheaper than replacing the failed top seals. Cost for that, $2,200.

In the meantime, they are going to see if they can clean things up for us well enough to get it working with a motor they have, good enough to run the slide in/out 4 - 5 times to get us to FL and back, when we can have the major repair done. Since we took delivery in 3/13, all is out of warranty. Now I wish I'd bought repair coverage.

It get's better. We've had the brakes fail twice on the unit. First time on 95 on the way to FL. I was able to figure out one brake was humming, cut the wire, and got rid of the brake short. Three brakes are better than none. Not being able to take the unit into service and leave it for days as we were living in it, we had local on-site tech come. He removed the wheel, it was full of grease, and a brake wire was cut. He cleaned it all up, put a new magnet in, and said we were good. Had the unit at CW after getting home for some work, and go to pick up the trailer and brakes shorted again. I tell the tech to look for a wheel that is humming. He pulls the wheel, full of grease, and wire cut. Cleans it all up, solders, wire, and we're good to go. Was a different wheel this time.

I relate the story to the local service center, and he tells me they've had 50 cases in the last year where the clips to hold the brake wires were not installed, and caused the wires to short. Told him to pull the wheels, check, make sure there not full of grease, wires are good, etc. They tell me all wheels are full of grease. Dutchman used cheap seals, grease leaked out, bearings need to be replaced. They're recommending new backing plate assemblies, seals, magnets, and bearings. At least we can reuse the drums. Another $1,600. At least they are willing to knock the hourly labor rated down as there's so much work, and seeing what they can do on the parts. Not a fun week. Fingers crossed they can get the slide working so we can got to FL, and have the big slide repaired when we get back.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #16

Idaho
Schwintek slides...alternatives?

So, if one has problems with the Schwintek system, is it possible to retrofit with a different type of mechanism? So far, knock on wood, ours is working ok, but this post is giving me pause.
PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #17

Texas
Schwintec 10 second rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
Not a toy hauler but I have a large Schwintec slide in my Aerolite. No problems after 1.5 years. I lubricate the seals, bought that special ($$) lube Schwintec says to use on their YouTube Videos, and also hold the button for a full 10 count after (EVERY TIME) after the slide stops when I go in and out. This tip was also in one of their videos. Finally, I don't go halfway and then start again. It's all or noting.
Good morning & thanks for the advice...i haven't had any issues with mine yet & this is the 1st time ive heard this great advice....my question please: Ive been at an RV park for (6) months - should i go in & hold the slide buttons in the "out" position until i hear the motors re-set?
Also, is there anything maintenance wise that i should be doing before in the meantime please.
thank you

2014 3970 Epic III
2015 GMC Denali HD 3500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1918  
bmonk1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGento View Post
So, if one has problems with the Schwintek system, is it possible to retrofit with a different type of mechanism? So far, knock on wood, ours is working ok, but this post is giving me pause.
You might be able to retrofit, but I suspect it would be cost prohibitive, if you could find someone to do it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 AM   #19

Colorado
How and where do you lubricate the slides? What do you use for lubricant?

Thanks,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:35 AM   #20

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
How and where do you lubricate the slides? What do you use for lubricant?

Thanks,

Pirate
Look here

Watch this also

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote