Insulation spewing out in outside stereo & kitchen? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #1

Texas
Insulation spewing out in outside stereo & kitchen?

When I open my outside Stereo hatch there is little white particles, appears to be styrofoam particles from the side wall insulation. I cut a whole in the very front of my Voltage 3990 for the dryer vent last year is how I know what the walls look like.

The white stuff is also somehow seeping through the kitchen slide out and getting all over our cup towel. Not sure where it is coming from or how it is getting there. We live in it full-time band have not moved it in over a year at the state park, if that helps.

I did run the slide in and out the other day to see if I could see anything but nothing. Nothing on the sides, top or bottom that I could see obvious.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:06 PM   #2

Wyoming
Just a wild guess.... but maybe the air circulation system? Maybe a vent or 2 here & there aren't tightly sealed, and those tiny particles get sucked in or blown out from other places. Other than that, and since you have them in 2 completely separate places, I'd have no idea either.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #3

California
Do a really good check for ants. I have personal experience with ants chewing Styrofoam insulation AND sprayed in insulation. They chew this stuff and carry to an exit point. They then build a nest in the cavity they have created.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #4

Louisiana
I hope I am wrong but if it has not been moved in a while I would maybe suspect a darn mouse causing some damage.
T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:48 AM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
I hope I am wrong but if it has not been moved in a while I would maybe suspect a darn mouse causing some damage.
I second mouse.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #6

Texas
I initially thought mouse but I have a live in mouse catcher who is pretty good at showing off and brings them to me occasionally to prove her worth. She is getting old at 17 maybe I need a new cat?

That said, now how to rid an inside wall of a mouse or even ants? I spray regularly around the coach, we have none inside and seldom any outside. Is it time to call pest control? Will they know what to do with a travel trailer to spray?

Old 06-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #7

Illinois
Can't speak to mice, but we use Terro ant traps. We winter in Florida and most everyone down there uses them. I also spray Ortho Home Defense regularly around the outside of perimeter of the RV.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #8

California
I would think you or your cat would hear a mouse every now and then ? No?
I would try to do a little research. The particles are falling from above obviously lol. Take a piece of trim off or a light out in the ceiling ? Anything you can remove in your stereo compartment to look up ?

Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #9

Texas
Excellent suggestions. I have a drawer under the stove and fridge I can remove to look at. They are on the back side of the stereo/TV cabinet. I can also remove the overhead fixtures to take a look. Will also look for that stuff around here Rusty. Thanks.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #10

California
Hoping positive for you and that you dont find ants.
I discovered carpenter ants when I decided to remove a window and replace it with a door in my house. Didnt know they were there. Further research found that they were carrying some of the Styrofoam all the way around the house between the bricks and the stud walls. They were depositing the tiny particles out a vent hole in the bricks. I believe I had a leak in window sill which made the wood wet and attracted the ants. I have a home remedy for killing ants if you need it. Hope not. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #11

Ontario
I had the same thing in my trailer, it turned out to be ants. They dig into the styrofoam to build nests, they carry the styrofoam to an exit point and throw it out. In my trailer, they would throw it out of the light fixture above the table in my slideout. I just removed the light fixture and pumped a couple of cans of ant nest killer in there, waited a day or so and then sucked them out with a shop vac. It was amazing how many came out of there... Good luck.

stuart.m is offline   Reply With Quote