I finally found something I don't like about the voltage 3950 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #1

North Carolina
I finally found something I don't like about the voltage 3950

Having had some really bad experiences with several other brands, I was really weary when we bought the voltage 3950. We've had the voltage for almost 90 days and other than a piece of trim we found at per delivery inspection, the only thing we've had defective is the microwave. (It goes on and off by itself...going to call dealer)

Other than that, I'm absolutely thrilled with the trailer and its quality..... Exceeeeppt for one little thing. Can anyone tell me why in the hell did voltage make the control center door that covers the lower belly panel and controls one piece without leaving an access hole for city water hookup???

I mean seriously? You can't close the door because the hose is attached. It's one thing to have to leave that door open because on some models it's just a little flap but the 3950's door incorporates the control panel and under belly access in one door.... So not only am I leaving my under belly open, I'm leaving the door free to be slammed by the wind.

I'm going to cut a hole in the door and install some sort of trim on it but I'm just surprised how silly this design is since the rest if the trailer is almost perfect in design.

I'll post pics when I figure it out.

Mark

orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

Oklahoma
There should be a 6inch round cover at the bottom of the compartment that unscrews. you run your hose up under the trailer through the hole so you can close the door.

macman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
There should be a 6inch round cover at the bottom of the compartment that unscrews. you run your hose up under the trailer through the hole so you can close the door.
I hope he catches this before drilling holes in the door.

If the opening mentioned above isn't there, it should be. All of the Voltages I've looked at are set up this way.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
I hope he catches this before drilling holes in the door.
Ha! Yeah, really...

Ok Mark... here's what you're looking for. In the bottom of that compartment, you should see a round disk like this thing I'm holding in my hand:

Just unscrew it, and then you'll have the pass-thru opening for your water & cable TV umbilicals, so you can close the compartment door.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #5

North Carolina
LMAO.. This is embarrassing. I posted this while laying in bed while using the trailer this weekend at Carolina adventure world.

We loaded everything up and as I went to say good bye to a buddy, I noticed the raptor beside him had the same setup with his hose coming through the bottom.

I looked at my buddy and said "see, that's the way it should be" I went on to explain how I had to leave my door open all weekend because I left the Jose connected.

He just laughed and walked over to my trailer and said, you have the same thing.

Here the whole damn time I thought it was a drain for spilled water.

Well, that was embarrassing.

Thanks everyone. I'm so embarrassed. I guess I can officially say there is nothing I don't like about the trailer.

Mark
Old 01-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #6

Illinois
voltage 3950

i have a 3950 voltage it is the worst fifth wheel trailer i have ever had. the craftmanship is awful trim poping of every where freezes up at 32 degrees the rear entry door you can see out it both sides at the bottom and the rear loading door has a gap 2 feet long on both sides the all weather packages is crap there is no insilation in the underbelly i use my trailer all year because of my job at the corners of the slide the holes are so big i can almost stick my hand through then call about warranty and they dont warranty craftmanship also cant close bathroom door due to something in the wall falls down and wont let the door open cant get in there to fix it cant get the door off will never buy dutchmen again
michaelmadmike3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I'm so embarrassed. I guess I can officially say there is nothing I don't like about the trailer.Mark
Don't sweat it. We have all been there at one time or another.

Here is something I added to my city water hookup. I use a fairly stout water hose and never liked the way I had to bend it to get the door closed. I felt I was putting to much pressure on the trailer hookup.

I found this at my local hardware store. I think it cost 6 or 7 dollars.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Don't sweat it. We have all been there at one time or another.

Here is something I added to my city water hookup. I use a fairly stout water hose and never liked the way I had to bend it to get the door closed. I felt I was putting to much pressure on the trailer hookup.

I found this at my local hardware store. I think it cost 6 or 7 dollars.

Thanks, once my buddy finished laughing at me, he told me the same thing. Something else I learned this weekend…. I didn't know you can buy a heated water hose.

Also, has anyone tried one of those "as seen on tv" garden hoses that shrink up when off and expand when turned on? I bought one for my shop since the guys keep running over them and they crack figuring it might be more flexible and honestly, it works great.

I was going to try one of them on my trailer since they take up less space.

Mark
Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmadmike3 View Post
i have a 3950 voltage it is the worst fifth wheel trailer i have ever had. the craftmanship is awful trim poping of every where freezes up at 32 degrees the rear entry door you can see out it both sides at the bottom and the rear loading door has a gap 2 feet long on both sides the all weather packages is crap there is no insilation in the underbelly i use my trailer all year because of my job at the corners of the slide the holes are so big i can almost stick my hand through then call about warranty and they dont warranty craftmanship also cant close bathroom door due to something in the wall falls down and wont let the door open cant get in there to fix it cant get the door off will never buy dutchmen again
Man, that sucks… I know all the well the woes of having a crappy trailer. I guess everyone makes their shares of lemon but I have a suggestion…

On a previous custom made trailer I had, I had a LOT of issues. Since the manufacturer was too far away, I took it to a guy that works at a local trailer sales place and he went through everything. It cost me a few bucks on my end but when he was done, the trailer was the way it should have been from the factory.

I don't know if your trailer is still under warranty but regardless, at the end of the day, you want what you buy to work, whether it costs you money out of your pocket to fix it or you lose money trading it in.

I know that all too well also. Less than 2 months ago, I bought this 2013 GMC Denali HD 3500.

It has some sort of weird vibration which apparently after reading a 114 page thread on a diesel forum, I'm not alone.

At my age, I know better than to spend the next year trying to fix what GM can't so I bought this…

A 2014 F-350.

And after this weekend, I'm glad I did…. it's so much nicer than my Denali.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:

A 2014 F-350.
Nice truck. I just bought one myself.

Those tires look to be more of an offroad type than mine though. The tread looks pretty serious. What are those?
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:

Those tires look to be more of an offroad type than mine though. The tread looks pretty serious. What are those?
The tires are BFGoodrich KM2's. They are a mud tire but honestly, you can hardly hear them. I need them because some of the places we take the toy hauler are off road, grassy slopes. Been more than a few times I've had to pull someone out.

Mark
Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:

I can't see the tread at all in the pictures. I am guessing that they are the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A. I have the same truck.

Yes, it is a very nice truck.

Guess I posted my guess a fews seconds to soon. Wrong again. Oops.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I can't see the tread at all in the pictures. I am guessing that they are the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A. I have the same truck.

Yes, it is a very nice truck.

Guess I posted my guess a fews seconds to soon. Wrong again. Oops.
lol
Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Thanks, once my buddy finished laughing at me, he told me the same thing. Something else I learned this weekend…. I didn't know you can buy a heated water hose.

Also, has anyone tried one of those "as seen on tv" garden hoses that shrink up when off and expand when turned on? I bought one for my shop since the guys keep running over them and they crack figuring it might be more flexible and honestly, it works great.

I was going to try one of them on my trailer since they take up less space.

Mark
I came across one of those snaky hoses at a camp site last summer. The owner had wadded it up and deposited it in the fire pit.

It looked like it was fairly new, but it appeared to have blown a hole near the connector.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I came across one of those snaky hoses at a camp site last summer. The owner had wadded it up and deposited it in the fire pit.

It looked like it was fairly new, but it appeared to have blown a hole near the connector.

Hmmm, just wondering if his was defective. I own a bodyshop and I am constantly replacing a hose in the paint shop. I keep buying Lowe's INDUSTRIAL, COMMERCIAL, HEAVY DUTY hose and yet, I still have to replace it.

I've had the snaky hose on there for about 4 months and so far, so good. Guess it can't hurt to try.

Mark
Old 01-21-2014, 04:42 AM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Hmmm, just wondering if his was defective. I own a bodyshop and I am constantly replacing a hose in the paint shop. I keep buying Lowe's INDUSTRIAL, COMMERCIAL, HEAVY DUTY hose and yet, I still have to replace it.

I've had the snaky hose on there for about 4 months and so far, so good. Guess it can't hurt to try.

Mark
Interesting I assume that it is just being used to wet down the floor prior to a paint job.

The consumers reporter on our news channel does spots about the "As seen on TV" products. When she did the comparison on pressure and volumn of the snaky hose compared to a standard 1/2" hose, it looked a like little kid peeing against the wall.

The biggest concern that I would over and above the performance of the hose would be, is it suitable to use for potable water.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Interesting I assume that it is just being used to wet down the floor prior to a paint job.

The consumers reporter on our news channel does spots about the "As seen on TV" products. When she did the comparison on pressure and volumn of the snaky hose compared to a standard 1/2" hose, it looked a like little kid peeing against the wall.

The biggest concern that I would over and above the performance of the hose would be, is it suitable to use for potable water.
Yes sir, nothing more than wetting the floors down in the paint booth. Once they wet it down, they drain the water so it's just a limp piece of cloth laying there…

If the pressure and volume was less than that of a normal hose, then I'd think it would suck attaching it to a campsite water supply.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #18

New York
Quote:

According to info I read NO it is NOT suitable to use for potable water. And the reviews were not good at all.
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
According to info I read NO it is NOT suitable to use for potable water. And the reviews were not good at all.

Thanks for the heads up…

Mark
Old 01-27-2014, 01:29 AM   #20

Virginia
Talking

Quote:
The tires are BFGoodrich KM2's. They are a mud tire but honestly, you can hardly hear them. I need them because some of the places we take the toy hauler are off road, grassy slopes. Been more than a few times I've had to pull someone out.

Mark
How are those tires working out for you wear wise? Also, did you run them on your previous truck? I am looking to make a change. Thanks

Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote