Hydraulic Levelers - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

Texas
Hydraulic Levelers

I got to see the hydraulic levelers operate this weekend on a friends Voltage 3990.

Even though this was our first trailer of any kind, I knew the electric auto level was a nice thing to have. Man, that hydraulic system is really nice. So much faster and there was no pulling pins and dropping a portion of the leg down.

Unless someone says there is a serious downside to hydraulic levelers, I will have them on my next trailer.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #2

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
I got to see the hydraulic levelers operate this weekend on a friends Voltage 3990.

Even though this was our first trailer of any kind, I knew the electric auto level was a nice thing to have. Man, that hydraulic system is really nice. So much faster and there was no pulling pins and dropping a portion of the leg down.

Unless someone says there is a serious downside to hydraulic levelers, I will have them on my next trailer.
Out of all the issues that I've had with my 5er........the hydraulic leveling system has not been one of 'em.

We're not hearing any negative chatter about them, either.

I love 'em.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:43 AM   #3

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
Out of all the issues that I've had with my 5er........the hydraulic leveling system has not been one of 'em.

We're not hearing any negative chatter about them, either.

I love 'em.
Ditto... Same here.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 AM   #4

Arkansas
My hydraulic levelers work fine but the display quit working yesterday. I can still turn it on and raise the front to disconnect the truck from the trailer. I can hit auto level and the unit levels just fine. I just can not see any display. The display lights up but there are no words to read. It's just a blank lighted display. I have to operate the controls based on memory. Does anyone know anything about this kind of problem? I would like to reset the unit.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #5

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
My hydraulic levelers work fine but the display quit working yesterday. I can still turn it on and raise the front to disconnect the truck from the trailer. I can hit auto level and the unit levels just fine. I just can not see any display. The display lights up but there are no words to read. It's just a blank lighted display. I have to operate the controls based on memory. Does anyone know anything about this kind of problem? I would like to reset the unit.
You'll have to check with Lippert (or dealer). Unfortunately, I believe, you'll have to replace the pad.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #6

New Mexico
Mine failed shortly after purchasing the trailer. I have several posts about it on this site and from what Lippert had posted their was a wiring issue from the factory (2012 models) that could fry the control board. CW fixed it under warranty but it was a PITA to move the trailer using a drill to raise and lower the legs. The system is great when its working!
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:20 AM   #7

Arkansas
Quote:
My hydraulic levelers work fine but the display quit working yesterday. I can still turn it on and raise the front to disconnect the truck from the trailer. I can hit auto level and the unit levels just fine. I just can not see any display. The display lights up but there are no words to read. It's just a blank lighted display. I have to operate the controls based on memory.
A few weeks later the display started working again and has worked ever since.

Yesterday evening I was setting up here in New Jersey and when the Hydraulic Jacks were about half way down they just quit. Not matter what I did they would not move up or down. It just made a clicking sound when I pushed a button. This morning I started checking with my meter and found that the 12 volt DC Circuit Breaker was tripped and would not reset. I moved the big red wire going to the hydraulic control to a spare circuit breaker and now the system works. See Photo below.

I have noticed that the circuit breaker trips pretty often during the past few months and I have to wait for it to auto reset. I assume it's not big enough to carry the load for the hydraulic pump. I can not find anywhere how much current the hydraulic system should pull. Does anyone know how much current the hydraulic level up system should draw? I think I need a bigger circuit breaker. Does anyone else have a problem with the level up circuit breaker?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
A few weeks later the display started working again and has worked ever since.

Yesterday evening I was setting up here in New Jersey and when the Hydraulic Jacks were about half way down they just quit. Not matter what I did they would not move up or down. It just made a clicking sound when I pushed a button. This morning I started checking with my meter and found that the 12 volt DC Circuit Breaker was tripped and would not reset. I moved the big red wire going to the hydraulic control to a spare circuit breaker and now the system works. See Photo below.

I have noticed that the circuit breaker trips pretty often during the past few months and I have to wait for it to auto reset. I assume it's not big enough to carry the load for the hydraulic pump. I can not find anywhere how much current the hydraulic system should pull. Does anyone know how much current the hydraulic level up system should draw? I think I need a bigger circuit breaker. Does anyone else have a problem with the level up circuit breaker?
Is the circuit breaker you moved the wire to the same amperage? If so is it also tripping?

The draw should be shown on the pump motor if you can see the tag.

I suggest that you try the system for awhile and if you are not having a problem with the spare breaker, then just replace the dead one.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #9

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Is the circuit breaker you moved the wire to the same amperage? If so is it also tripping?

The draw should be shown on the pump motor if you can see the tag.
I can not tell what the amperage is for the breaker I moved the wire to. It is tripping also.

I can not find a tag on the pump motor. The owners manual also says nothing about the amperage.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:21 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
I can not tell what the amperage is for the breaker I moved the wire to. It is tripping also.

I can not find a tag on the pump motor. The owners manual also says nothing about the amperage.
Sounds to like you may have a short circuit then.

You may have to remove the circuit breakers to find the amperage.

I had this happen to me on my bike riding down I5, I could hear the circuit breaker clicking off and on. When I pulled into a rest stop and had a look I found that I had squashed a wire between the frame and the seat. Wrapped the wire with electrical tape, made sure it wasn't caught between the frame and the seat, problem solved.

Take a look at the wiring paying attention to any place where the wire passes around, near, or through frame members or anything that can cause a short.

The OEM web site may have the info on amperage required for your pump.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:

In the absence of a tag or data sticker maybe the data is stamped into the body of the motor.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #12

Colorado
If you have a multi-meter with an amperage clamp you can read the current in the red cable from the circuit breaker.

To test, I would manually screw up the auto level. But have all six jacks carrying some load. Thus the hydraulic pump will have to build pressure to pump fluid to the max number of jacks at one time.

Probably best to have someone with you. You clamp the amperage ring around the cable from the circuit breaker to the pump.

Then have someone press the auto level button. As the system is moving multiple jacks, that's going to be the max current the system is liable to see.

You can then compare that current to the rating of the circuit breaker and figure out if you have a possible short, or just a bad circuit breaker.

Just some thoughts,

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote