Help with stink - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Help with stink

What are some good ways to get rid of the stink in one side of my freezer.? We had CW replace an Air Conditioner which was to take only 2 hours. They then advised they had ordered the wrong AC unit and would have to reorder another which would take about a week to get. They kept the unit but no power was left on and the battery was turned off thus the lp would not light off automatically.. My wife had left a tube of breakfast sausage in the freezer which we forgot about. That sausage swelled, leaked and the most horrible odor was released into the freezer. Remember this was to be a two hour job by CW so we were not concerned about what was in the refrig or freezer when we first took it in.
Now after bleaching, scrubbing, washing out the freezer compartment the odor persist. We put a box of baking soda inside but still the odor smell terrible.

Anyone have any tricks for getting rid of the odor.. ????

Now the freezer is frozen again its not as bad but the odor is still there on that side. This is a double door double freezer.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #2

Arizona
Had the same thing happen to me. I hadn't noticed the box of Brown and Serve sausages sitting on the floor of the freezer when I put the rig in storage and forgot to leave the door open. Sure enough between the condensation and the perishability of sausage it raised a stink.
I pretty much did the same things you did with similar results. However rest assured the smell will go away in time.
I learned my lesson from that experience.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
What are some good ways to get rid of the stink in one side of my freezer.? We had CW replace an Air Conditioner which was to take only 2 hours. They then advised they had ordered the wrong AC unit and would have to reorder another which would take about a week to get. They kept the unit but no power was left on and the battery was turned off thus the lp would not light off automatically.. My wife had left a tube of breakfast sausage in the freezer which we forgot about. That sausage swelled, leaked and the most horrible odor was released into the freezer. Remember this was to be a two hour job by CW so we were not concerned about what was in the refrig or freezer when we first took it in.
Now after bleaching, scrubbing, washing out the freezer compartment the odor persist. We put a box of baking soda inside but still the odor smell terrible.

Anyone have any tricks for getting rid of the odor.. ????

Now the freezer is frozen again its not as bad but the odor is still there on that side. This is a double door double freezer.

Other than the large box of baking soda and time you are stuck with the smell. If you can leave the door open that will help. It will go away, eventually.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote