Heating element for Rubicon 1905 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2016, 03:06 AM   #1

Georgia
Heating element for Rubicon 1905

Could someone possibly give me the part number for this part? We've had the camper 2 yrs now. But it didn't come with any kind of manuals?? I went up and de-winterized it today. But the water wouldn't get hot? All the wiring seemed ok. So the only thing I can think is maybe the heating element has gone bad? I've been searching the web for over an hour now. But can't positively find anything. This water heater is both electric, and propane. (Although I've never used the LP) Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Could someone possibly give me the part number for this part? We've had the camper 2 yrs now. But it didn't come with any kind of manuals?? I went up and de-winterized it today. But the water wouldn't get hot? All the wiring seemed ok. So the only thing I can think is maybe the heating element has gone bad? I've been searching the web for over an hour now. But can't positively find anything. This water heater is both electric, and propane. (Although I've never used the LP) Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
What we really need is the information on the water heater itself.
Did the exterior heater switch get turned on/off? Did you by any chance have the heater on without any water in it? That will kill an element in a heart beat.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

Georgia
Thanks for your reply. My camper is two hrs away. I went up yesterday to de-winterize it for vacation next week. And the water wouldn't get hot? It'd be warm for just a second and then cold.

As for the heater, I don't know much? I saw no literature on the unit itself. Or inside the service door? Maybe I overlooked it, but I didn't see a on/off switch either?

Its a 2012 Rubicon 1905. We bought it used in 2014. With no manual's whatsoever? I don't know if it's an Atwood, or Suburban? Or whatever other name there may be? I know, I'm not much help. But I was hoping someone could tell me what units they installed in this model from the factory? I "think" it's a 6 gallon unit?

I've searched for hrs. And all I can find is brochures...not a single manual? This is our first camper of any sort. And knock on wood, it's been our first problem.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Inside the exterior access door there probably is a switch that needs to be turned on, providing it was turned off in the first place.
It may be an Atwood or Suburban, a 6 or 12 gallon heater. The element is easy to replace and many can be found on Amazon at a good price.
However, with the statement that says the water is warm for a second sounds as if the water heater winterization bypass valve is still open.
Retrace what you did when you winterized and reverse the order. An element won't go bad from sitting over the winter. It will burn out but a 2012 should still be good UNLESS you happen to have drained it while the electricity was still on. A dry element will die very quickly without water to keep it from running away with itself.
One of those two would be my guess, a dry tank or the bypass valve being open may be the problem.
It's anyone's guess what the manufacture had that day for heater installs.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #5

Oklahoma
One additional thought, check the outside shower faucet. If they are open the hot water will be mixed with cold and the cold will prevail.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #6

Montana
Just de winterized? Water would get hot for a sec, then back to cold? My bet is water heater bypass valve left open (inlet and outlet valves open but the bypass also left open like in the "bypassed" configuration in the image below). That valve should be closed.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
Just de winterized? Water would get hot for a sec, then back to cold? My bet is water heater bypass valve left open
That's got my vote. The guy I sold my last camper to called me with the same problem.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
I would bet on a bypass valve also. Just for future reference I would make a list of ALL your appliances, include brand, model number and serial number. It will go a long ways in helping you out in the future. Also there a lot of manuals available on line, but you have to know what you have to look for it.

One thing I always do when I purchase an RV is to make a list of everything and it's numbers. Saves me time when something craps out.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote