Heat Relief... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #1

Wyoming
Heat Relief...

Thought I'd post a little tip. Wasn't quite sure what to name this thread... but did something a few days ago that has really provided some relief.

I've been out here on the AZ-NV-CA border for the past month. Daytime high temps have been well over 100 everyday, with no shade trees, few clouds, and no rain. The sun is just brutal, and my LR slideout box just bakes in the sun everyday.

All 3 of my AC units run all day, and manage to keep the rig comfortable... but the LR is still the warmest room in the RV.

Deciding to try almost anything except major construction to get relief, I've been trying a few things. One of those things was buying a couple of jumbo windshield shades from the local auto parts store, and placing them between the slideout windows and the pleated day/night shades on both the large double window, and the smaller side window facing south.

Well, they REALLY help! The sun doesn't radiate thru the shades, and the slideout box is much cooler... which in turn keeps the entire rig cooler.

Not bad for a couple of $12 items.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Thought I'd post a little tip. Wasn't quite sure what to name this thread... but did something a few days ago that has really provided some relief.

I've been out here on the AZ-NV-CA border for the past month. Daytime high temps have been well over 100 everyday, with no shade trees, few clouds, and no rain. The sun is just brutal, and my LR slideout box just bakes in the sun everyday.

All 3 of my AC units run all day, and manage to keep the rig comfortable... but the LR is still the warmest room in the RV.

Deciding to try almost anything except major construction to get relief, I've been trying a few things. One of those things was buying a couple of jumbo windshield shades from the local auto parts store, and placing them between the slideout windows and the pleated day/night shades on both the large double window, and the smaller side window facing south.

Well, they REALLY help! The sun doesn't radiate thru the shades, and the slideout box is much cooler... which in turn keeps the entire rig cooler.

Tom,

Good tip, but if you have double glazed windows you should have the shades on the outside of the windows.

My owners manual cautions against the use of anything, including window tint film on the inside of the windows. They say that by blocking the sun from the inside can raise the temperature between the glass panes to the point where the glass can explode or blow out the seal.

Our Airstream had single glazed windows, so we used limo tint film made all the difference. With the BRICK on wheels the double glazed windows helps some to keep the heat out.

Jim

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #3

Wyoming
Yeah, no double-glazed here. Just the single pane frameless windows thst are common on the Voltage models.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 09-14-2015, 01:53 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I have used Reflectix for years, first in my pop up, then Airstream and every unit since then. You buy it in rolls from Lowe's or Home Despot. Cut to size and have at it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:35 AM   #5

Arizona
ATC, do you have fully ducted LR a/c ? I found that the two intake vent ducts, on my 3600, were semi collapsed and restricting air flow to the a/c. I got a short piece of 1" pvc and put it in the middle of the vent opening (on both vents) to force the duct open and it dramatically increased air flow to the LR a/c. Something like that is all you might need.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:55 AM   #6

Wyoming
Yeah, I'm ducted... and yeah, I found the same thing when I redid all of my ductwork last year.

I've got good cold air blowing from the roof. No issue there. And the other 2 AC units keep those rooms so cold that I can hang meat in both the bedroom & garage.

I'm convinced that, at this point, the issue is just the uninsulated slideout box.

Running all 3 AC units, I can maintain 70s in the main room. But as I sit in my chair in the slideout, I can just FEEL the heat radiating from the slideout walls & windows. I don't feel that on any of the other walls in the rig. Just the slideout... again, because it's uninsulated.

Keeping the sunlight out of the windows with those car/truck windshield shades help quite a bit though...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 09-14-2015, 04:05 AM   #7

Arizona
I've been considering putting awnings over the slide windows, like they do on the Class A's. Be about $600 to do a 12' awning to shade the two huge windows on my LR slide.

We currently use a car sunshade on our bedroom window so the DW can sleep in and also to keep out the sun/heat during storage. Seems to work.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #8

California
I'm having serious problems keeping cool too, not much air flow from vents so we purchased a plug in portable ac from Costco. Sucks having the exhaust vent connected to window but it works better than built in AC
robertparker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #9

California
How do you check the ducting with it built into the ceiling I have very little air flow.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #10

Virginia
Remove the air return grill and reach your hand up inside. I found the side closes to the Main slide was collapsing. I used a piece of 1x2 and slid it in along the sides then taped it. I also increased the size of the return to 12x12 and purchased directional vents. Keep one pointed at the door and this really helps when the door is opened and closed all day!

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #11

Arizona
When I fixing the intake ducts I also examined the ceiling outlet vents. Like most of us, my 3600 has the 360* Aireport vent. I pulled the bottom portion off the vent and a strong stream of cold air came out of the vent. Next I ordered and installed Spaceport vents that direct the downward flow of air or can be totally closed off. The Spaceport, according to the company, is the next generation to the Aireport. Spaceport works so much better than the Aireport. Venting Products / AC Vents / "Spaceport" #8841 Fully Adjustable RV AC Ceiling Vent - DW Inc.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #12

California
Tom
Best heat relief advise I have for you is DON"T RV in the desert at this time of year.
Snowbirds come down here about in October & leave in April. That's are nicest weather.
Us "Desert Rats" head to the beach or mountains when we get time off in the summer. That's why wife & I went to Glacier N.P. for vacation.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #13

California
Thank you, I will give that a try.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

awesome idea!
BJ&AnaCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #15

Arkansas
I was having a problem with my LR AC unit on my 3905. I went out and bought a floor fan at Costco and put it in the bedroom and blew the air out into the LR. It made a nice difference, so I would turn down thermostat a bit cooler and run that fan. Now that I have all 3 of my AC units working fine the rig is nice and cool. I agree withe OP that the LR is the hardest to keep cool for sure.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:59 AM   #16

California
Thank you, I put in a portable a/c in the LR and vented through the floor behind the fireplace. Now that I have to a/c s in the LR it was able to freeze us out at AZ bike week.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:03 AM   #17

Maryland
Tom,

Last summer on our move across country, we ran into some heat like that in TX. We had stayed for a week visiting family...at first it was miserable, however, like you, we made shades for ALL the windows, using the Reflectix from Home Depot/Lowe's as mentioned above. That, alone, made a huge difference.

Next, I changed both living room intakes to 12x12, vice 6x12, and added a house filter, this increased airflow quite a bit, as more air in gave more air out...

A few weeks ago, in preparation for this summer, I added one more vent in the living area, right in front of the slide you are talking about. I have directional vents on order so I can direct air in that direction.

Another thing I had done, removed the garage vents and used expanding foam to seal off the back of the trunk, as they did not do a very good job...which allowed cool air to escape into the space between the ceiling and the roof.

My next project is to figure out why I have cold air flowing from two of my ceiling lights....that project is going to be interesting to say the least...

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #18

Arizona
RE: air from ceiling lights. Voltage did a poor job of taping the plenum under the living room a/c. The plenum connects to the two ducts that feed air to the trailer. Voltage didn't vacuum the saw dust in the plenum and the metal tape didn't stick. Many of us pulled the LR a/c and re-taped the plenum, which fixed the problem of a/c leaking into the ceiling.

The other thing I did to the living room a/c to increase air flow was to put a short 1" diameter pvc pipe in the mouth of the intake ducts to hold it open. Seems the material the intake ducts are made of isn't stiff enough to keep it from collapsing.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #19

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
RE: air from ceiling lights. Voltage did a poor job of taping the plenum under the living room a/c. The plenum connects to the two ducts that feed air to the trailer. Voltage didn't vacuum the saw dust in the plenum and the metal tape didn't stick. Many of us pulled the LR a/c and re-taped the plenum, which fixed the problem of a/c leaking into the ceiling.

The other thing I did to the living room a/c to increase air flow was to put a short 1" diameter pvc pipe in the mouth of the intake ducts to hold it open. Seems the material the intake ducts are made of isn't stiff enough to keep it from collapsing.
I did pull the middle AC when I brought it home...that was the first thing I had done. I should probably pull it again and have a look to see how it has been for the last 17 months. Supposed to be mid 60s and sunny all weekend...I know what I will be doing.

By making the intakes 12x12, I essentially rectified the sagging intake problem. I think the air leaking through the lights is a problem deeper in the ceiling and has something to do with the install.

Cale
Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #20

Maryland
Pulling up this thread again. Using the vents in post #11 (Don also used them I believe), I replaced all my vents for $40. All I have to say is WOW. You can walk through the living space a get cold. It was 90 yesterday and the AC cycled on/off throughout the day with it set on 70...the kids complained about being cold.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around