heard bad things about voltage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

Alberta
heard bad things about voltage

We are looking at a new (used) private unit, 2014 XLR Thunderbolt 300x12 that has never been used. He got it as replacement for insurance. We have looked at Voltage, Cyclone and Road Warrior as well. We really liked the Voltage. Just wondering if there is some feed back from owners or people with experience if I am making a good choice. Any feedback on comparison of quality in units and brands is appreciated.

Maddy1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #2

Arizona
We just downsized from a Class A RV, Country Coach (which is a good build quality). We looked at them all, and eventually settled on a Voltage. Why? Because of the layout, we liked it the best for our taste. Quality is about the same in all of them. They are manufactured by people who are in a rushed to push them off the assembly line. Hence, they will all have gremlins to work out. We had electrical issues from 2 a/c's being wired incorrectly. Expect to replace the tires and wheels to 17.5" to avoid blow outs, trim pieces will fall off here and there.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy1954 View Post
We are looking at a new (used) private unit, 2014 XLR Thunderbolt 300x12 that has never been used. He got it as replacement for insurance. We have looked at Voltage, Cyclone and Road Warrior as well. We really liked the Voltage. Just wondering if there is some feed back from owners or people with experience if I am making a good choice. Any feedback on comparison of quality in units and brands is appreciated.
Welcome Maddy, from your neighbor next door.

If you just go through the treads on this forum you'll find that there are many quality issues with Thor Industiers and Dutchmen products in general. There are horror stories of folks that have had thier rigs in the shop for weeks and months, waiting for Dutchmen to OK the work or supply the parts.

If you do choose to buy this unit, be sure that the factory warranty is still in effect for a goodly amount of time and that it is transferable (get it in writing).

As the unit has not been used, I doubt any of the problems will have been corrected.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #4

Virginia
I can only offer this tid-bit as have only had mine for a short time. I have researched before I purchased as well. I have read till I was blue in the face on the heartland forum and here mainly as I had a specific model I was looking at with voltage,cyclone and road warrior. In my opinion, this forum is more apt to call a turd a turd. Where as on the heartland they seem to have more loyalty for heartland products and protect to a fault. After you get by all that it boils down to they all have problems and the choice is layout, GVWR, options with the understanding that there will be work to do!
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboy View Post
I can only offer this tid-bit as have only had mine for a short time. I have researched before I purchased as well. I have read till I was blue in the face on the heartland forum and here mainly as I had a specific model I was looking at with voltage,cyclone and road warrior. In my opinion, this forum is more apt to call a turd a turd. Where as on the heartland they seem to have more loyalty for heartland products and protect to a fault. After you get by all that it boils down to they all have problems and the choice is layout, GVWR, options with the understanding that there will be work to do!
Sad state of affairs that we have to have "the understanding that there will be work to do!".

Should we pay $50-60k or more for our tow vehicles and have the same understanding?

There are campers on the market that don't have the kind of workmanship and quality issues that Dutchmen has.

I wish I would have listened to the salesman that told me that Dutchmen has lots of glitz, but is short on quality. I thought ya, your just trying to up sell me.

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice double shame on me.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

California
If you look long & hard enough you will here bad things about any & all brands. So if you listen to those you just need to go & buy nothing. Just don't listen to all the fun the rest of us are having with our RVs.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:31 AM   #7

Texas
Maddy1954,
Good luck with your decision. We went from an Allegro Bay Class A (which I think was probably a well built coach) to a Dutchmen Denali 5th wheel. We had a couple of problems (minor water leak, a couple of water fittings not being tightened, some loose trim, etc). I chose to let the dealer deal with a couple of them, but most of the issues I have had I have been able to fix on my own. My feeling is unless you are willing to step way up in price most units will have some issues that you will have to deal with.
Would we buy our Denali again?--absolutely!! We love the floor plan.
I doubt that very many RV's are trouble free.
Have fun with whatever one you go with.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

Colorado
We did a couple of years of looking before we chose our 2014 Voltage Epic III 3800.

We were looking for an RV that pretty much had all the comforts of home...while out in an RV.

The Epic III has that! We've only had ours out once. Problems are very few. One water seep, a torn screen, a loose piece of trim on the exterior and that's about it. Whereas our Jayco bumper pull was a work in progress from the time we bought it in 2009 until we sold it this past March.

So far, I'm impressed!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #9

Colorado
I offer a few of the criteria we used in looking for our new toyhauler.

Wanted a shower stall, not a tub and shower curtain. Got it.

Wanted a walk around bed in a well lit bedroom. Got it!

Wanted a large refrigerator so we didn't have to mess with coolers. Got it!

Wanted a nice living area with comfortable seating. Got it. Lighted and heated recliners? WOW

Wanted a garage big enough for future Polaris RZRs. Got it. 14 ft.

Want a large hot water heater so we can both shower. Got it.

Want enough fresh water storage not to have to worry about it. Got it 160 gallons.

Want enough black water storage not to have to worry about it. Got it. 96 gallons.

Want a Toyhauler really set up for the two of us. Got it. Kids are all grown and gone. But do have the happyjack bed/table in the garage as well as a nice TV in the garage.

So think about things you really want. And decide if this unit has enough of those to buy and not wind up with buyers remorse after the first outing.

Just thoughts,

Pirate
Old 06-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #10

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I offer a few of the criteria we used in looking for our new toyhauler.

Wanted a shower stall, not a tub and shower curtain. Got it.

Wanted a walk around bed in a well lit bedroom. Got it!

Wanted a large refrigerator so we didn't have to mess with coolers. Got it!

Wanted a nice living area with comfortable seating. Got it. Lighted and heated recliners? WOW

Wanted a garage big enough for future Polaris RZRs. Got it. 14 ft.

Want a large hot water heater so we can both shower. Got it.

Want enough fresh water storage not to have to worry about it. Got it 160 gallons.

Want enough black water storage not to have to worry about it. Got it. 96 gallons.

Want a Toyhauler really set up for the two of us. Got it. Kids are all grown and gone. But do have the happyjack bed/table in the garage as well as a nice TV in the garage.

So think about things you really want. And decide if this unit has enough of those to buy and not wind up with buyers remorse after the first outing.

Just thoughts,

Pirate
My thoughts are the same. look at the good with the bad and good won

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:20 AM   #11

California
I totally agree with Pirate and Eightydo. We sold our 40' Weekend Warrior to purchase a new Voltage 3895. We love the big shower. The living room seating area is inviting and so comfortable. And we love the big frig! Our kids are grown also, but now we have plenty of space for our grandkids to be with us. We have had a few very minor issues, but that's it. Not one regret from us!
Bmxboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #12

Mississippi
Left Raptor for Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy1954 View Post
We had a 36' Raptor which was nice, but had single door refrigerator, couch with no reclining (where do you rest your legs unless you lay down and take up entire couch) now 4 adults can sit on couch and recline and watch movies, built-in outside refrigerator and entertainment system. Also on our model when we pull long distances, we leave connected to truck and only open kitchen slide. then we can access both bathrooms daughter and friend can sleep in queen sized loft and we have access to MBR/mbr to sleep and clean up. Then hit the road in am running.

Dont get me wrong the Raptor was nice but had single bed sized loft. could not walk around bed in MBR and the deal breaker for me was the comfort of the 2014+Voltage couches.

David
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #13

Nevada
I'm pleased with our 3200, no major problems (yet...) and the layout is nice, it's just my wife and I, with occasional friends that crash in the garage. Build quality is as good or better than the competition I think. I checked out some comparable toy haulers recently, and I think Voltage is still top tier, especially for the price. A local dealership had some Cyclones that weren't loaded up, but still in the $60k and up range, that didn't add up compared to what comes standard on Voltages. You really can't get them without every option it seems like.
Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:27 AM   #14

Colorado
Sam,

Yup the Voltage Epic series come with just about every option out there.

We added the "all weather patio doors" instead of the pull down screen at the very back.

We passed on the third AC unit for the garage.

We passed on recliners for the garage.

But that's about it!

Pirate
Old 06-15-2014, 03:35 AM   #15

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Sam,

Yup the Voltage Epic series come with just about every option out there.

We added the "all weather patio doors" instead of the pull down screen at the very back.

We passed on the third AC unit for the garage.

We passed on recliners for the garage.

But that's about it!

Pirate
Hey Pirate, how easy was the install of the all wleather paito doors. Was thinking of that and saw them in some models. Not sure if i'm going to like the pull down screen very much since it is only held down with magnets. If you don't mind how much was it for the doors?
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:43 AM   #16

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazerdous View Post
Hey Pirate, how easy was the install of the all wleather paito doors. Was thinking of that and saw them in some models. Not sure if i'm going to like the pull down screen very much since it is only held down with magnets. If you don't mind how much was it for the doors?
Voltage rep said approx $800 is cost... Then freight and install responsibilities. Sales rep said closer to $1000
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:49 AM   #17

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash View Post
Voltage rep said approx $800 is cost... Then freight and install responsibilities. Sales rep said closer to $1000
Thanks for the info Splash, definitely think I'm going to do that.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Old 06-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #18

Colorado
I had them installed as an option at the factory. They were an $863 option.

They seem to work very well. But only had this trailer out once.

I think the top bracket needs some stiffening.

Pirate
Old 06-15-2014, 04:19 AM   #19

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazerdous View Post
Not sure if i'm going to like the pull down screen very much since it is only held down with magnets.
Hazerdous,

It only took me two months to realize the tinted plastic panels in the patio doors are held in place by Velcro and can be removed leaving the screens in the doors & side panels.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Hazerdous,

It only took me two months to realize the tinted plastic panels in the patio doors are held in place by Velcro and can be removed leaving the screens in the doors & side panels.
Awesome, that's good info.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950