Hard Start Kits - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2015, 03:34 AM   #21

Arizona
I would love to see the pictures.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #22

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I would love to see the pictures.
Sorry for the delay...yesterday was pulling tires to install metal valve stem day...

The install was very straight forward, though I had to make it difficult. These are the SUPCO SPP6 Capacitors. Got them off Amazon for $13 a piece, though they are cheaper from other sellers, I chose Amazon for the free Prime shipping.

There is one capacitor readily accessible behind a cover on each AC. The capacitors themselves do not care about polarity, just be sure that the wires go onto the RED and WHITE terminals. There is a third terminal on the capacitor (the ground), a brown wire, if you hook to that, the fan will not operate unless the AC is running, which got me it deep trouble, since I did not catch that until late evening and the fan would not turn on (we sleep with the fan on for white noise).

The directions say to remove all power from the coach, I only secured the three AC breakers, and verified no power by trying to operate them...

This is the front AC, remove the four shroud screws and the capacitor box is on the left with four screws. The compartment has enough room to put the capacitor under the cover (must break the tabs off the SUPCO Capacitor), a little deformed when installed, but the cover is only there to keep from accidental touch of the capacitor terminals if doing work under the AC shroud. This is the one I installed wrong...remember, RED and WHITE wires, or the black and white capacitor terminals.

This is the middle AC. Once the cover is removed, the capacitor is on the left, but it cannot be stored with the other capacitor, there is a circuit card in here too, I currently have it zip tied to the wire bundle out side the box, but I may change that, I am afraid that the weight of the capacitor on the wires will cause constant movement riding down the road and eventually break the wires....this is a clear picture of the terminals. This capacitor had all the black terminals used (the white wires), the SPP6 has a piggy back connector, now there are five (5) wires connected to that terminal.

This is the aft AC. It as a ridiculous amount of screws to remove just to get the shroud off. The capacitor is on the right side of the unit. There is a nice size box that holds the capacitor really well, I broke the tabs off the SUPCO Capacitor here also, so it would fit in the cover.

Once everything was buttoned up, I turned the generator on and fired up all three AC units with no problem. The startup of a third unit would cause the power monitoring system to shed power and could never get all three AC units on at once.

Also, we can now run two AC units on the 30 amp site where we are currently staying. The AC compressors seem to start immediately, which means less stress to the system.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #23

Arizona
Thank you for the post. I appreciate the work you put into it. This will help when I get ready to do my unit.

I did check mine yesterday to see how many amps were being used by each generator. I had never tried to run the 3 AC units off of the generator. They all ran. I When I started the main AC I saw a spike to about 27 amps and it settled out to around 20 amps.

With all three running the highest amp draw I saw was 46 amps. Then in settled to 42 amps. Turning off one AC at a time my amp draw was 42/31/18.

We are leaving for an extend vacation on Wednesday and at one place we well stay I know there is only a 30 amp service.

Thanks again. I wish all this would have come about last winter.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:00 AM   #24

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Thank you for the post. I appreciate the work you put into it. This will help when I get ready to do my unit.

I did check mine yesterday to see how many amps were being used by each generator. I had never tried to run the 3 AC units off of the generator. They all ran. I When I started the main AC I saw a spike to about 27 amps and it settled out to around 20 amps.

With all three running the highest amp draw I saw was 46 amps. Then in settled to 42 amps. Turning off one AC at a time my amp draw was 42/31/18.

We are leaving for an extend vacation on Wednesday and at one place we well stay I know there is only a 30 amp service.

Thanks again. I wish all this would have come about last winter.
I wonder if the amperage draw is also heat dependent...meaning, that if it is super hot out, the systems will electrically spike. Until the other day, I have never intentionally tried to run the AC when it was comfortable out, only when it is butt crack sweat dripping hot, at which point, all the ACs running seems to make the generator a little unhappy.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #25

Michigan
Got SUPCO's installed today. Only got a pic of the center AC installed. The front and center ones I screwed onto the outside of the electrical box, the rear fit inside as Cale's did.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #26

California
My son & I installed them this weekend on my Voltage & his Wilderness. Did have to mount them outside of the stock capacitor cover as they were too tall.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote