Guttering on Voltage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Guttering on Voltage

I own a 2014 3895. Over the years the rain and condensation doesn't flow and run out like it used to and will build up in the gutters and run onto my slides, awning, or just down the side of the camper. Has anyone else had trouble with this? Can I fix it myself or do I need to take it in? Because of this water sitting on my awning my led strip that is underneath it isnt sticking so well anymore. Anybody had to replace it, and where did you get it? Thanks everyone!

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #2

Oklahoma
One more thing

Forgot to say, I've cleaned out the gutters many times. There is no blockage theyve just gotten worn from the weather and sag I'm guessing.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #3

Alabama
Can you take a picture down the side you are having issues with? That may tell a little more to the story. The gutter rail is attached to the side wall. It should not move or "wear out".
Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #4

Oklahoma
I'm new to this and not sure how to post a pic. The water just pools up in the middle instead of running to either end. I've tried cleaning it out. There may be some gunk in there but never any blockages big enough to stop the flow. Not sure if they didnt put enough slope on it when they installed it but I didnt have this much of a problem when it was newer. The back side of my camper does it more now and it never used to.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #5

Florida
Have you checked the leveling of your voltage?
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Yes. Its level right now with the auto leveling system.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #7

Alabama
Did you know that the Level Up system does not know what level is until you tell it what level is?

https://support.lci1.com/documents/t...l-upreg-system
Old 04-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #8

Oklahoma
I'll definitely check into that. I figured they did that before I bought it. I've lived in this camper twice and it's always seemed pretty level. If it wasnt level wouldnt that make the water run one way or another in the gutters? The fact that its pooling in the middle would make me think its level.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #9

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
I'm new to this and not sure how to post a pic...
https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...otos-8188.html
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:07 AM   #10

Arizona
I notice that when we're at the beach, with increased humidity, whenever the A/C shuts off there is a lot of water that runs off the roof, past the gutters, and onto the awning. Haven't figured this one out yet.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I notice that when we're at the beach, with increased humidity, whenever the A/C shuts off there is a lot of water that runs off the roof, past the gutters, and onto the awning. Haven't figured this one out yet.
You may want to see if you have a clogged drain port. The fan running may be keeping the water in the drain pan.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #12

Texas
Both my gutters are pieced together (3 on each side) and I have had to reseal the joints to keep from having drips on my slide toppers.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #13

Illinois
This is called, old age. The gutter is 6 years old, and made of plastic. Over time with the sun beating down on it, UV breaking it down, it loses it's shape, sags, and no longer allows the water to flow out either side. My 2014 Coleman does the same exact thing. Even sealing the joints, it is 3 piece as mentioned above, doesn't seem to help, water just pools in the middle.

Drop an end, front or rear, and then spray water on the middle of the gutter and check that it still flows out, then level it with a level on the roof by the gutter, and see if water pools or drains. If it pools, which it probably will, then it is sagging enough to prevent it from draining, but not enough to detect by eye, only a straight edge and feeler guages will show the sag. It really doesn't take much of a sag to stop it from flowing since the gutter really is only about 10mm wide and deep.

The fix is to remove it and realign or replace. If you can bump the center up 2-3mm it will start to flow again.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
This is called, old age. The gutter is 6 years old, and made of plastic. Over time with the sun beating down on it, UV breaking it down, it loses it's shape, sags, and no longer allows the water to flow out either side. My 2014 Coleman does the same exact thing. Even sealing the joints, it is 3 piece as mentioned above, doesn't seem to help, water just pools in the middle.

Drop an end, front or rear, and then spray water on the middle of the gutter and check that it still flows out, then level it with a level on the roof by the gutter, and see if water pools or drains. If it pools, which it probably will, then it is sagging enough to prevent it from draining, but not enough to detect by eye, only a straight edge and feeler guages will show the sag. It really doesn't take much of a sag to stop it from flowing since the gutter really is only about 10mm wide and deep.

The fix is to remove it and realign or replace. If you can bump the center up 2-3mm it will start to flow again.
This is the answer I was looking for. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #15

Alabama
Is this the profile of your gutter. I am assuming that you are talking about the trim that follows your roofline from front to back. It is not plastic, it is aluminum. The only way that this is going to move is if your roofline sags or it wasn't mounted correctly in the first place. The only thing that is going to happen to this aluminum trim over time is that it will fade or dent when hit by a big enough limb. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200424-081820_Chrome.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	6219
Old 04-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #16

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revere411 View Post
Is this the profile of your gutter. I am assuming that you are talking about the trim that follows your roofline from front to back. It is not plastic, it is aluminum. The only way that this is going to move is if your roofline sags or it wasn't mounted correctly in the first place. The only thing that is going to happen to this aluminum trim over time is that it will fade or dent when hit by a big enough limb. Attachment 6219

Interesting, mine has the same shape, but is plastic.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #17

Alabama
Quote:
Interesting, mine has the same shape, but is plastic.
I found 4 different gutters for the Coleman trailers. They were all aluminum with a plastic insert to cover the screws. Also if there is spouts on the end, those will also be plastic. I happen to have access to a dealer Catalog and I could not find any plastic gutters for any of the Dutchmen brands. That was why I was thinking that the sagging was either there when built or something else. If only we had pictures of the problem... lol.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #18

Illinois
Quote:
I found 4 different gutters for the Coleman trailers. They were all aluminum with a plastic insert to cover the screws. Also if there is spouts on the end, those will also be plastic. I happen to have access to a dealer Catalog and I could not find any plastic gutters for any of the Dutchmen brands. That was why I was thinking that the sagging was either there when built or something else. If only we had pictures of the problem... lol.
Does that include the 2014 Colemans? Now I have to go check again, pretty sure they are plastic because I was able to flex the middle one where the ends join and are caulked together.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #19

Alabama
Quote:
Does that include the 2014 Colemans? Now I have to go check again, pretty sure they are plastic because I was able to flex the middle one where the ends join and are caulked together.
Yes, the longest piece is 16' so there will be joints that need sealed. I was looking in the 2014 Catalog when I was researching.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:49 PM   #20

Illinois
Quote:
Yes, the longest piece is 16' so there will be joints that need sealed. I was looking in the 2014 Catalog when I was researching.
I was mistaken, they are extruded, but man are they warped. The one over the awning is rippled all the way down and bent down at each end. Easy to think they are plastic when you look at them, but I got up on a ladder and scraped it with a screwdriver, not plastic as I thought. Must have been the silicone they used originally that made it feel like plastic when I caulked the two pieces. They may have over torqued them when they were attached that is causing the ripples, but for sure it has a slight sag in the middle because water pools there, even with a slight tilt.

Tags
awning, condensation, gutter, led, rain