Greasing & brake check???? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #1

British Columbia
Greasing & brake check????

2013 3005v

Hello everyone, is there a written procedure or youtube video for repacking the wheel bearings and brake check?
I am millwright so I feel confidant to do this myself, but I always like to have as much info/specs before starting.
My hauler is currently in the storage yard under 3' of snow, but once the snow clears I got to get this taken care of before our season starts.

thanks

Larry710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:15 PM   #2

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry710 View Post
2013 3005v

Hello everyone, is there a written procedure or youtube video for repacking the wheel bearings and brake check?

I am millwright so I feel confidant to do this myself, but I always like to have as much info/specs before starting.

My hauler is currently in the storage yard under 3' of snow, but once the snow clears I got to get this taken care of before our season starts.

thanks

Not a tough process, it took me a couple of hours. Most of the information is in your owners manual as well as on the Lippert website. You can also search YouTube for Lippert components, there are several videos. Here is a link from the website. Good luck and safe travels!

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ers-Manual.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTripp0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:00 AM   #3

Arizona
There's plenty of how-to videos out there.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #4

North Carolina
If it has factory lube and this is 1st time I suggest pulling bearings, new seals and a full clean, imsoection and repack with new known good grease.

My original grease in my 17 model was like water amd seals leaked which wiped brakes. Took me an hour per wheel and that was as described above plus I installed new loaded backimg plates, wired solenoids and cleaned drum linings.

After that youcan use the through hub greasing scheme if you like.

Thats just my opinion
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #5

Arizona
If you pump grease into the zerks that can also push grease past the inner seal and onto the brake shoe. I never used the zerks and had still had plenty of good grease in the bearings when I did the first bearing re-pack 2 years past new.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:09 AM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
If you pump grease into the zerks that can also push grease past the inner seal and onto the brake shoe. I never used the zerks and had still had plenty of good grease in the bearings when I did the first bearing re-pack 2 years past new.

Well if you think about it, trailer wheels/bearings are no different than front hubs on a vehicle. Most go 100/200 thousand miles without issue...do they not? I don't understand the why of this set up on our trailers. Do you re grease your truck front hubs every year?
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Well if you think about it, trailer wheels/bearings are no different than front hubs on a vehicle. Most go 100/200 thousand miles without issue...do they not? I don't understand the why of this set up on our trailers. Do you re grease your truck front hubs every year?
true fact ..but aside from that ... I have 4 trailers... Camper...Motorcycle...snow mobile and Utility/4 wheeler... all have grease zerks or bearing buddies...
my theory is why not 2 or 3 quick pumps at the start of the season .. and 2 or 3 pumps at the end of he season before storage .. to keep water out of bearings to prevent rust ... just my method ...
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #8

Arizona
Dexter says, "A complete bearing repack is recommended every 1 year or 12,000 miles". My trailer is 4 years old and I've done the bearings once. I plan on doing the bearings soon when I replace the manually adjustable brakes with self-adjusting brakes. Why trailer builders do not install self-adjusting brakes is beyond me.

For the OP: here is Dexter's video on repacking bearings https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...ng-maintenance
Old 03-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Trailer brakes and bearings are not nearly as good a quality as what is used in cars and trucks. They usually are barely adequate for the load they are carrying.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Dexter says, "A complete bearing repack is recommended every 1 year or 12,000 miles". My trailer is 4 years old and I've done the bearings once. I plan on doing the bearings soon when I replace the manually adjustable brakes with self-adjusting brakes. Why trailer builders do not install self-adjusting brakes is beyond me.

For the OP: here is Dexter's video on repacking bearings https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...ng-maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Trailer brakes and bearings are not nearly as good a quality as what is used in cars and trucks. They usually are barely adequate for the load they are carrying.

Aaron

It's all about the $$$. they could do alot of things but then they would make less profit or they would charge us more than the market could bear.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #11

Tennessee
I had a 99 S-10 pickup that had the "old school" spindle with the small trailer type bearings on it. They made it 220,000 miles before one welded itself to the spindle.
I'm really good with the oil change and most other maintenance, but completely ignored the bearings.

My 2005 GMC Sierra had the big sealed front bearings that were part of the hub, I drove the truck for 485,000 miles and sold it to my neighbor. It now has 550,000 miles on the original front hubs. He claims they still have zero play and don't make any noise
Old 03-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I had a 99 S-10 pickup that had the "old school" spindle with the small trailer type bearings on it. They made it 220,000 miles before one welded itself to the spindle.
I'm really good with the oil change and most other maintenance, but completely ignored the bearings.

My 2005 GMC Sierra had the big sealed front bearings that were part of the hub, I drove the truck for 485,000 miles and sold it to my neighbor. It now has 550,000 miles on the original front hubs. He claims they still have zero play and don't make any noise
Conversely, I had a 1997 Dodge RAM 1500 that wanted new wheel bearings every year. Granted the roads were terrible but I finally found a good set that lasted for many years. The OEMs were junk but the Timkens were the bomb.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #13

California
I have my bearings checked, repacked, at schwab tires store and balance the tires at the same time (life time balance). That also give me free flat repair. Since we travel mostly west coast good to have the flat repair have used it twice already.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
It's all about the $$$. they could do alot of things but then they would make less profit or they would charge us more than the market could bear.
I checked with Dexter's web-page and the difference between self-adjusting and manual-adjusting brakes is $3 per wheel retail. I guess they want the mechanics to make extra money adjusting brakes every 3000 miles.