Going to Purchase Voltage 3950 Epic II - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #1

Washington
Going to Purchase Voltage 3950 Epic II

I have some questions maybe someone here can answer. I am unsure about the dual pane windows. What do they look like? Anyone have pictures? I have been told by several dealers different things. All the ones I have gone to see did not have that option.
Should I bother with that option at all? I live in northwest Washington State, we do camp in the spring and fall.
I am so far looking at buying thru Windish RV in Colorado and have read some threads on them in other forums. Does anyone have any recent experience with them, and buying a Voltage there? What about their PDI, any good? Do they really go over the unit with you as well as the salesman said they do?
Any other comments or suggestions about the 3950 is welcome.

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

British Columbia
You may wish to look at the budget $ vs days you camp in the late fall and late spring..my budget couldn' justify dual pane ...if I was full timing different story...just my 2 cent.

Welcome Neighbour..can' t comment on the 3950 but heard lots of good things....remember " buyer beware" have a list.......some one the forum has a great list

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I agree with Cooper on the budget $. I just could not justify the dollars for the amount of time I camp in spring and late fall. I also agree full-timer would be different.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #4

British Columbia
Sorry MikeB missed your other question about buying local...in my humble opinion...I like to deal local ...if the price is reasonable.... i don' t mind paying a little bit more but don't gouge me and they have the product.
I just find if u buy from a dealer that is a significant distance from you....your out of sight and out of mind.....if you need warranty work it is much easier to take it to the local dealer. You can deal with people face to face instead of over the phone.
We bought our unit an hour away and it was a bit of a hassle ..we needed some work...by the time I hooked it was a whole day shot....hope this helps.
Coops
Canada
Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I missed the second question also. In most cases I always try to buy local no matter what I purchase unless there is a huge difference in price or a bad reputation. Buying local allows you to build a relationship and helps your own community. However when I purchased the V3200 I went out of state 110mi versus 50mi due to the fact the closer dealer has a terrible reputation on service and was $3500 more. I felt I woudl never go to him for service and $3500 is substantial.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #6

California
Cooper, are you talking about the walk through checklist? if so, I saved those links...

Sunline Coach Owner's Club - View Single Post - Check List for New Sunline Buyers

RV Inspection Checklist
Old 03-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #7

British Columbia
Imsteck...Yup..thanks ....your so well organized ( been camping yet?)

Here you go MikeB.

Coops
Canada
Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #8

Washington
Thanks, I appreciate the replies, and will be downloading the lists.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #9

Wyoming
Double pane windows do more than insulate for warmth. If you use the air conditioner they help to keep the cool in too. They also work wonders for sound control. Go to a dealership, preferably one alongside a highway and sit in a unit with and without them. You'll hear the difference!
Typically, units with double pane windows are also insulated in the walls as well which also helps for all the points I made. I think it's well worth it!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #10

Michigan
Depends on how you plan to use your RV also. If your outside all the time except to sleep, probably not worth it. But ---- we didn't op for the dual pane windows and hit a cool spell in Florida for the 5 weeks we were there. Sitting in the main slide out without them was almost cold, we set the thermostat higher to compensate but you still felt the chill coming thru the windows and wall. So no dual pane windows means we used more propane, (30lbs every two days), and were still uncomfortable.
Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #11

British Columbia
Aaron when we are in civilized areas mosts if not all of the spots have unmetered electrical sites, so we bring and use 1500 watt electrical heaters. Granted our trailer is smaller so it is easier to heat. The heater has variable heat and fan settings and isvery quiet.It also has a tip over safety feature. It sure saves on my propane costs as the electrical cost is includes with the daily/weeks rate that we already pay. Just my 2 cents.

Coops
Canada
Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

Michigan
Yes! Your absolutely right Coops, an electric heater is a great option to control heating costs for short term campground camping. By short term I mean up to a months stay in one spot. In past years we have stayed on the same site longer than that and the electricity was metered. Still would probably be cheaper than buying propane in 7gal lots. This time thou we were in FLORIDA!! We went there because it's suppose to be WARM there. Senior moment, didn't think to take an electric heater along, have used them in the past, didn't foresee the need for one this time. Didn't think to go buy one either, after all it was suppose to be WARM!! Every day it was, "it's got to be warmer tomorrow". Yes, there were a couple of days in there where the weather sent us a teaser but then it would turn cool again.
Wow! Long way to go here to say I agree with you on the use of electric heaters. But ------
Electric heaters, or on-board propane, we didn't opt for the dual pane windows and on cool evenings mama and I set in our rockers with our blankets over our laps, sip'en our toddy's and lament ---- "Dang -- We should have got the window option!!"
Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #13

Indiana
We did not order our coach. If we had, we probably would have ordered it with dual pain windows. Not only are they more effective in warmer and cooler temps they are also nicer looking.
Patty and I went to Florida in December and stayed through last week. We have propane, an electric fireplace and an infrared tower heater that we purchased at Sam's Club.
We turn the electric fireplace on early in the morning and on cooler mornings we would turn the infrared tower heater on, also. Our furnace works really well in our forward bedroom & bath. We keep the bedroom cool anyway so we use very little propane. We paid for electricity and used approx. 62.00/month.
Anyone can say what they want about the lower temperatures in Florida. One thing I do remember, is that I didn't have to shovel snow once in Florida this year .

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

Florida
I have a a new 2013 Voltage 3950 and I ordered mine with the dual pane windows (and almost every other option) and very glad I did. The cost was around $2,200 for this option so it is expensive but since I was well over $110k anyway I wasn't going to cheap out on this important feature. Here in Florida we have oppressive humidity in the summer and my last RV had single pane windows that not only let the heat right in they would get so wet with condensation from the A/C I would have to put towels under the windows to catch the water dripping on the inside!
Another plus is they are spider web if they take an impact. We have children and I have seen a stray softball or rock hit a window at a campground and now the unit has shards of broken glass all over the interior. And finally they look really nice. They are frameless and tinted. I recommend you really consider this option. They will also insulate against cold where you live.
hitman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #15

Washington
OK, done, trailer ordered. Taking over another customers cancelled order so we don't have to wait 8 weeks. Other customer took one off the lots instead of waiting for delivery on this one. Already on line, almost completed, have VIN and all that already. There is no Dual Pane windows on it. Might regret it, but with what I am saving over buying local (see my other thread) I can add them later, even if it is pricy. Had some questions for new owners, now that I will be one!, but going to start a new thread to keep it simple and others can find it.
Hitman, I have had windows broken in the RV, and didn't think about that! I can see the logic in it just for that, have two little ones as well. Plus the sweating of the windows, although I have read on other sites about lots of them losing their seal and fogging internally. That was a manufacturer specific site as well, maybe a lone issue due to supplier from the number of complaints of internal fogging. Although most manufacturers use the same suppliers, I figure only so many make windows for RVs. Not talking about just the glass here, for those that were going to pipe up.
Wow, this is the most expensive item I have purchased, other than my house, and it's basically a toy! Don't flame me for saying that, I know all about the benefits of having an RV, and it is still just an extravagant luxury. Of course that doesn't apply to full-timers, for them it IS home. Only having tents when we started never stopped us from camping. So having the Voltage won't make us camp anymore than usual. I take that back, yes it will!
Looking forward to it, this is our first new RV, always had used, usually well used till the Avion, and it's 22 years old! Wife has already bought stuff for it! Just because the GVWR is 19K lbs, doesn't mean it needs to weigh that! I thank you all for the insight on the windows, but, turns out it's a moot point.

Thanks, Mike B.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #16

British Columbia
MikeB congrats on your purchase......enjoy it with your family.

Coops
Canada
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #17

Nevada
MikeB;
Congrats Happy Camping, are you going to have a tent burning party (LOL).
I pickup my 3200 Epic on Friday April 5 was told it arrived. Looking forward to having more room & a Garage.
IE: Same Denver Dealer.
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #18

Indiana
MikeB,

Congratulations!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new rig. The window deal is minor.

Happy Kampin'

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I have some questions maybe someone here can answer. I am unsure about the dual pane windows. What do they look like? Anyone have pictures? I have been told by several dealers different things. All the ones I have gone to see did not have that option.
Should I bother with that option at all? I live in northwest Washington State, we do camp in the spring and fall.
I am so far looking at buying thru Windish RV in Colorado and have read some threads on them in other forums. Does anyone have any recent experience with them, and buying a Voltage there? What about their PDI, any good? Do they really go over the unit with you as well as the salesman said they do?
Any other comments or suggestions about the 3950 is welcome.
I, too, am going to purchase the same rig. The bathroom in the garage sealed the deal, along with many more nice points. I'm glad I found this forum. Looks like a great place to get information and make some new friends.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #20

Washington
An update is in order here. I have been rather busy lately, but we ended up having the trailer delivered instead of going and picking it up as planned. Cost was just over $2000, but worth it, kinda. The delivery guy didn't seem to be very knowledgeable about trailers OR towing, not a very good driver in my eyes either. But, it made it. Other than the waste oil container that leaked from the back of his truck all over the front underhang of our brand new trailer, was not pleased, to say the least. Anyway....

Trailer was delivered on May 11, ended up spending a couple nights in it just before the movers left on June 19th. Then at the new house, the previous owners did not leave pleasantly, and it took some time to fix the issues. So we lived in it for three weeks as we fixed up and cleaned the new house. Not happy about that either.

The dealer had inspected the unit before sending it on it's way, but some when before it left the outside ladder disappeared. They sent a new one right away, so no big issue. Other than that, the unit has been great, not a single issue has cropped up yet. We put it to good use for the first month we owned it, without actually going camping. Our first real trip will be next month for two weeks, can't wait.

I was real nervous spending this kind of money, specially with all the horror stories out there. But so far I couldn't be happier, everything has worked well, and no issues as of yet. Have used and tested all systems, every thing has worked as advertised. No leaks, anywhere, and I have been looking. Had lots of heavy rain, with all slides open, closed, you name it, washing it, no leaks. All the piping I have checked, that I can reach with out taking to much apart, and all is well. The only downside was not doing the walkthru, and having someone show me how EXACTLY all the systems work. Had to make some calls to the dealer for ideas on things, but now I know it very well. The awnings are one thing I had to call on, of all things. They said "push the button that says out", I said no sh(t! But they would not go out, turns out the first operation you have to give them a little pull while someone is pushing the button. They worked fine, but until I pulled on the arms, the motor would struggle and stop, I didn't want to bend or break my new trailer so I made the call, all good.

We ended up getting a new '14 with some of the new updates, but mostly a '13 for features and the Epic II package, which I am told is no longer offered, either Epic or not. I hope you have as much fun and good luck as we have had with ours. Got it for about 65% of MSRP, was way worth paying for delivery and the small ladder hassle with the savings.

Here are some pics, one of the oil mess. Absolutely LOVE this trailer, was very worried, but it's all good. Has been great, but a bit of warning. They are HEAVY!! Squatted my truck more than I thought it would. I have airbags, so not an issue, but watch how you load it, lots of pin weight already. My is about 16.7K lbs. right now, ready to roll out camping. Minus some groceries and beer, maybe some more clothes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1257 (Medium).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	584   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1279 (Medium).jpg
Views:	270
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Issues To Address  (9).jpg
Views:	283