Going to Purchase Voltage 3950 Epic II - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #21

California
Very, very nice. I'm really happy for you. I kind of wish I'd been able to get a '14, but the '13 was in our budget range, and my wife likes the seating arrangement in the living area better in the '13 anyway.

It would be great if you could take some video of the leveling system in operation. Hydraulics are faster than electrics, but I'm sure both work.

Really looking forward to picking this up in August! Thanks for the posts, glad you aren't having any issues with yours.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #22

Washington
Will take video when I get the chance. At work in Alaska right now. Went to your site, added some comments. That site would have been helpful some months ago for me. When you get it filled out more anyway. Good luck on your purchase, I truly hope it works as well for you as ours has for us. We couldn't be happier so far, has only been a short time, but looks good.

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #23

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Will take video when I get the chance. At work in Alaska right now. Went to your site, added some comments. That site would have been helpful some months ago for me. When you get it filled out more anyway. Good luck on your purchase, I truly hope it works as well for you as ours has for us. We couldn't be happier so far, has only been a short time, but looks good.
Saw your comments. Good stuff. Thanks for that. Working in Alaska. Quite the life.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #24

Florida
Congratulations! I love my 3950 and have a few minor issues but overall has been a quality unit. My A/C in the bedroom tends to drip water if I don't keep the fan on all the time but that is because of the extreme humidity here in Florida. Other than that a few cosmetic problems I am working on but its all good.
hitman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #25

Oklahoma
About the ladder, if you decide to use it be sure and check the screws holding the rungs in the rails. I found mine to be loose a few times.

After discovering the ladder is only good for getting on the roof I gave it away. An extension ladder will let you work anywhere on the rig, plus the roof. Also, an extension stows better than the OEM ladder.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #26

New York
this is what we carry

Xtend & Climb 785P Aluminum Telescoping Ladder Type I Professional Series, 15.5-Foot - Amazon.com

My mothers neighbor was moving and asked me if it would like an extension ladder....well thinking I had a few items on Mom's "honey do list" that I needed a ladder for - I said yes - needless to say I was pleasantly surprised as to the ladder he wanted to give me......
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #27

Washington
That is very similar to the ladder we also carry. The telescopic ones I at first thought were a scary waste, until I had to borrow my FIL's. I was instantly sold, bought one and haven't looked back. Yes we spent a bit of money on it, but much better than many other options.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #28

California
Extension ladder

That ladder you linked to on Amazon is really slick. My biggest problem right now is there's no lack of cool stuff to spend money on. Soon I won't have much left!

I have a Little Giant ladder. It's not too heavy, and makes either an A frame or an extension ladder. Costco had them for $179. Just saw them again marked down to $139 with the $40 instant rebate.

I'll document all this stuff once new new rig is sitting in the driveway and we take our first trip. Think I'll find a countdown timer and start it. We'll be doing the PDI at 10 a.m. Saturday, August 10th. Yea baby! Really excited.

Oh yea, the ladder... I think the ladder the rig comes with make a great flag pole holder. I have one that attaches to the ladder. Got to fly my Ford and Amerian flags high!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #29

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
That ladder you linked to on Amazon is really slick. My biggest problem right now is there's no lack of cool stuff to spend money on. Soon I won't have much left!

I have a Little Giant ladder. It's not too heavy, and makes either an A frame or an extension ladder. Costco had them for $179. Just saw them again marked down to $139 with the $40 instant rebate.

I'll document all this stuff once new new rig is sitting in the driveway and we take our first trip. Think I'll find a countdown timer and start it. We'll be doing the PDI at 10 a.m. Saturday, August 10th. Yea baby! Really excited.

Oh yea, the ladder... I think the ladder the rig comes with make a great flag pole holder. I have one that attaches to the ladder. Got to fly my Ford and Amerian flags high!
When you do your PDI - make sure you have EVERYTHING that you think you should have; ie. the pins for the HappiJac bed system (to hold the upper bunk in a permanent up position) - we are having a heck of a time trying to get the dealer to provide them. TV remote controls, Fantastic Fan remote - you will find that the "manual" provided is lacking to say the least - I went thru and listed every appliance with a model # and the good ole internet provided all the manuals I need....carry around a 3" 3 ring binder with all the info in it!

Also the ladder in the Amazon link is not necessarily the one I would buy today - same one much cheaper on other sites - I just did a quick search to show you what we have!!!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #30

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
When you do your PDI - make sure you have EVERYTHING that you think you should have; ie. the pins for the HappiJac bed system (to hold the upper bunk in a permanent up position) - we are having a heck of a time trying to get the dealer to provide them. <snip>
If you decide to give up on the dealer coming through with the pins, they are not that uncommon. Here is a link to the actual pins from Happijac, but I'm sure you could find them in a hardware store. In Lowe's, those drawers with all the specialty bolts/screws/pins/etc comes to mind.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #31

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
When you do your PDI - make sure you have EVERYTHING that you think you should have; ie. the pins for the HappiJac bed system (to hold the upper bunk in a permanent up position) - we are having a heck of a time trying to get the dealer to provide them. TV remote controls, Fantastic Fan remote - you will find that the "manual" provided is lacking to say the least - I went thru and listed every appliance with a model # and the good ole internet provided all the manuals I need....carry around a 3" 3 ring binder with all the info in it!

Also the ladder in the Amazon link is not necessarily the one I would buy today - same one much cheaper on other sites - I just did a quick search to show you what we have!!!!!
Good advice. It's going to be something we take our time with. No way are those guys going to rush us through this. It's a once-in-a-lifetime event, and time to make sure everything is as it should be.

I've heard from others that they've been happy with this particular dealership, so we're going in with positive expectations.

I'll use the Internet to find the proper manuals. It still amazes me how much you can find with a decent search of the web. The missing parts are being filled in by me on the blog. It's growing daily. myvoltagerv.com
Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #32

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
If you decide to give up on the dealer coming through with the pins, they are not that uncommon. Here is a link to the actual pins from Happijac, but I'm sure you could find them in a hardware store. In Lowe's, those drawers with all the specialty bolts/screws/pins/etc comes to mind.
Thanks - I finally made contact with Dutchmen and they will send me the pins.....still no word from the dealer - oh by the way if anyone is trying to reach Dutchmen - their phone system is down.....I reached them via email!

Also the pins from Happijac are 11.00 and 19.64 to ups them to me.....NOT!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #33

Virginia
Hello all,

We just ordered our new 3950 about 3 weeks ago. They are saying it will be Feb. when it is delivered to the Dealer. We ordered every option including the two Voltage recliners but we did not order the double pain windows because we are not full timing it and the dealer also stated that there was an issue with them fogging up. We also ordered the unit with the Full Paint option in Black base and Blue graphics. Needless to say we are very anxious! Wife is buying things for the inside and I am researching every possible weak link! lol

Upgrading the truck and making sure all fluids are changed and ready to tow this beast. This is our very first 5th wheel of any kind. We are happy to read that most everyone has had good experiences with the Voltage Toy Hauler, some of the reading I have been doing about other manufactures has really worried us!

The only thing we have been disappointed with thus far is the lack of specifics from the Manufacture on what is being used for things like the Brakes, Axels, tires, etc. It is like pulling teeth to find out what they are. The Dealer sent us a link to LCI and said they are putting on 12" electric brakes but did not say if they are on all 3 axels and are they the self adjusting type? Has anyone had any issues with the brakes on these units or have you upgraded to the disc brakes?

Things we are doing thus far;

Toppers over 2 bump outs on left side. Dealer to install when it arrives
14.5" brake upgrade on front brakes of truck.
Onboard air compressor and tank
B&W 20K Companion hitch
Back up camera with 7" screen (hope to tie to Camera on back of RV)
Oh yea, BIG AIR HORN!

Looking into exhaust brake.

Look forward to being a part of the RV'ing world and the future adventures, also reading about all the adventures that are posted on here.
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #34

Indiana
I cannot speak for Voltage specifically, if a trailer is over 2000 lb. GVWR it has to have brakes on each axle.

Sounds like a nice unit.........hope all goes well.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #35

Arkansas
It would be good if you could get them to install "Never Fail" bushings on the shackles and wet bolts on the Equa-Flex Equalizers. The Never Fail Bushings would not fit the hole on the Equa-Flex Equalizers. Here is a picture of mine after about 5000 miles. We brought the Voltage July 22, 2014 and replaced the bushings myself and a friend in October. I found that the factory forgot to put bushings in two of the shackles.

See also the Forum Topic I started on Never Fail Bushings:
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ings-1185.html
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #36

Wyoming
You're mentioning upgrades to your tow vehicle... what exactly have you got?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #37

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
You're mentioning upgrades to your tow vehicle... what exactly have you got?
I'm sorry but I'm not sure who or exactly what you are referring to.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #38

Florida
I also am interested in what you are doing to upgrade your truck. It seems to me either the truck is rated to tow a fully loaded 3950 or not. As far as I know upgrading brakes and tires will not cut it if the tow rating is too low. You may need a new truck. I use a 2014 F-450 to tow my loaded 3895 (and my previous 2012 Voltage 3950) and I would not want anything less pulling that monster.
2012 EZGO Custom Cart
hitman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #39

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
I think his question was to Moto4play and the tow vehicle upgrades he mentioned.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #40

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
Yeah, my mistake... I was addressing Moto4play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman007 View Post
I also am interested in what you are doing to upgrade your truck. It seems to me either the truck is rated to tow a fully loaded 3950 or not. As far as I know upgrading brakes and tires will not cut it if the tow rating is too low. You may need a new truck. I use a 2014 F-450 to tow my loaded 3895 (and my previous 2012 Voltage 3950) and I would not want anything less pulling that monster.

EXACTLY! This is why I was asking. If you have a truck capable of pulling the rig you ordered... seems like a lot of unnecessary upgrades.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote