Generator issues...again - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2015, 12:19 AM   #21

Colorado
I think when we leave Camp Verde, AZ...I'll start the generator, then the AC units and pull out. Then stop in few miles and see if the gen is still running. Repeat on several types of road surface and see if anything changes.

Yup, I'm an engineer and a test program to gather data is the way to go!!

More to come!!

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:14 AM   #22

Arizona
I figured out how to know if the generator is running while driving.

Sundancer87 got me to thinking and although I am not going about it his way he helped a bunch. Thank you Sundancer87. I had forgotten that in the cargo hold area there is a plug. It's not hot with no power to it. I have already got my wire pull rods in place from the hitch to the cargo area.

In the picture below is a 110 volt to 12 volt converter and an amber LED clearance marker . I forgot that I had it.

All I have to do is pull the wire, mount the converter cleanly in the cargo and decide where to mount the light. I know I can see the air bag "fill to here" mark on the shocks. So hopefully I will be able to mount the clearance marker on the nose of the trailer and be able to see it. If not I will have to an aluminum bracket and mount it lower.

If the light is not on....well I can stop talking now.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:32 AM   #23

Oklahoma
It's cool to find useable goodies in the goody box.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:39 AM   #24

Colorado
OK Arlan...now where can I get those two items?

More concerned about the 120V to 12V converter. Just getting started on my education with LED lights and 12V converters...so help me out!!

Thanks,

Pirate
Old 08-29-2015, 02:08 AM   #25

Arizona
Give me a couple of minutes.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:10 AM   #26

Arizona
Goofed up here. Try next post
Old 08-29-2015, 02:17 AM   #27

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
OK Arlan...now where can I get those two items?

More concerned about the 120V to 12V converter. Just getting started on my education with LED lights and 12V converters...so help me out!!

Thanks,

Pirate
LEDwholesalers 12 Volt DC Waterpoof LED Power Suppply Driver Transformer with 3-Prong Plug, 30W, 3207 - Indoor Lighting Low Voltage Transformers - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Grand General 77650 Amber Thin Line 6-LED Marker and Clearance Sealed Light: Automotive

I will know tomorrow if the LED is the correct light. Sundancer87 has a plan for an alarm in the cab but I not as ambisious as he is. This one is quick and I am getting it done in 107 degree desert sun. It's a dry heat though.

That little plug you see on the end of the converter is something I have used on tons of projects. Usually get them at the hardware store or Radio Shack.

Never know what to call them and I did not buy on Amazon as it is not Prime but here is a picture. They just make the installation easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47965-...iler+connector

I can take a couple pictures of the installation if you are interested.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #28

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerloco View Post
If oil is sloshing around crankcase during travel cause momentary loss of oil pressure shutting unit down this could possibly happen as well in an unlevel condition
Comparing an RV Generator to a Marine Generator... a Marine Generator is designed for the oil to be sloshing around and most have a two stage oil pump with one of them electrically driven... to avoid the loss of pressure???

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #29

Oklahoma
The Onan probably has a splash shield in the case to prevent oil turbulence and so on.
Having said that, I have a hard time with shut down caused by the low oil sensor. Based on my experience I know my Onan is good for at least an hour and a half of run time from Tulsa to my yard. The last part of my trip is an eight mile, two lane, curvy, uphill drag to get to my turnoff. From there it's a curvy rocky road with a dip that requires the truck to be in 4x to keep a steady pull up the other side of the dip. If it was an oil problem I'd think that's when it would happen for me.
Anything is possible but the idea of a monitor or alarm is a fine idea to see when and perhaps what caused the shut down.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #30

Arizona
Well the generator run light is installed and I believe it should work just fine. Pretty sure it is bright enough. It would most likely annoy me if driving at night.

I still have to finish the wiring inside but it will all be out of sight except where it plugs in and disappears over the basement wall.

All this work to know if your generator is running while you are driving. I usually don't need to run the generator unless crossing the desert in the summer. And that is not all that often.

I know my camper is filthy but it to damn hot to wash it. And I usually have some one do it for my lazy ass.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #31

Oklahoma
Looks good mister!
If I may suggest, the LED driver might get hot because of what it does so you might want to insulate it or stand it off from your mounting point. That would keep it from browning the mounting surface. Maybe the back side doesn't get hot but worth a touch to see.

Your camper looks clean compared to mine. That's a winter project for me this year.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:31 AM   #32

Colorado
Well....folks...

Started the generator and then the Living Area AC unit.

Left the Distant Drums RV Park in Camp Verde, AZ. Pulled over a couple miles up I-17 and the gen was still purring along. Drove on up to Flagstaff, about 48 miles and a good bit of "asphalt washboard" so things were well shaken, not stirred. Pulled over about 10 miles East of Flagstaff. Generator still just purring along. So shut off the AC unit and shut down the Generator.

Drove on across I-40 to 60 miles from Albuquerque, pulled over. Started the gen and then the Living Area AC unit.

Arrived at the Bernalillo, NM KOA. The gen still just purring along, the AC unit cooling the interior.

So passed that test. The Generator will run just fine rolling down the Interstate with one AC unit on.

Tomorrow's test will be two 60 miles sections at the start and finish of a 380 mile day and see if the gen will run with both AC units on.

Wife, er BOSS, is big on Ancient Aliens, we've been to the 60th anniversary celebration in Roswell. And she has a book say there is a "vortex" in the Sedona area.

Hmmm....the generator wouldn't stay running. My iPod froze up, and somehow it froze the USB port I the truck, I dunno...maybe aliens had something to do with it.

But all is working well and testing and reporting back will continue tomorrow.

Arlan, I will be installing a generator monitoring light as you have done. Great idea!!!

Pirate
Old 08-30-2015, 01:07 AM   #33

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Well....folks...

Started the generator and then the Living Area AC unit.

Left the Distant Drums RV Park in Camp Verde, AZ. Pulled over a couple miles up I-17 and the gen was still purring along. Drove on up to Flagstaff, about 48 miles and a good bit of "asphalt washboard" so things were well shaken, not stirred. Pulled over about 10 miles East of Flagstaff. Generator still just purring along. So shut off the AC unit and shut down the Generator.

Drove on across I-40 to 60 miles from Albuquerque, pulled over. Started the gen and then the Living Area AC unit.

Arrived at the Bernalillo, NM KOA. The gen still just purring along, the AC unit cooling the interior.

So passed that test. The Generator will run just fine rolling down the Interstate with one AC unit on.

Tomorrow's test will be two 60 miles sections at the start and finish of a 380 mile day and see if the gen will run with both AC units on.

Wife, er BOSS, is big on Ancient Aliens, we've been to the 60th anniversary celebration in Roswell. And she has a book say there is a "vortex" in the Sedona area.

Hmmm....the generator wouldn't stay running. My iPod froze up, and somehow it froze the USB port I the truck, I dunno...maybe aliens had something to do with it.

But all is working well and testing and reporting back will continue tomorrow.

Arlan, I will be installing a generator monitoring light as you have done. Great idea!!!

Pirate
Sedona has an annual 'ascension', same place and same people . Maybe the vortex is after you!
Old 08-30-2015, 01:37 AM   #34

Colorado
Uh-Oh...we made reservations at the Rancho Sedona RV Park for Feb 25 to March 5th, 2016.

When does the "ascension" occur during the year????

Pirate
Old 08-30-2015, 01:57 AM   #35

Oklahoma
This year's is September but I haven't seen anything about next year. I don't think they project that far ahead, after all, if it works there won't be anyone to attend.
It isn't the same time each year, many things are involved as to when the best time is to prepare to be ascended.

Here's a little known fact about McDonald's in Sedona. As of last count it's the only franchise that doesn't have golden arches. Golden, or yellow arches aren't allowed there but turquoise arches are according to city code.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 AM   #36

Colorado
Saw that McDonald's...but you know...with the turquoise arches on the color of stucco they chose...looks good!!!

From the last time we were there...probably 10-11 years ago over Thanksgiving there sure are a lot of new and very expensive looking homes in the hills around town.

Pirate
Old 08-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #37

Tennessee
adding a generator

hi, i'm new to forum,have a 2009 grand junction fifth wheel
which is gen prepped , installed a 5500 onan which has 5 wires 2 white neutral,1 30 amp 1 20 amp,1 green
camper has 1 red,1 blk,1 white 1 bare copper in junction box
what goes where,thanks
wreckerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #38

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckerman View Post
hi, i'm new to forum,have a 2009 grand junction fifth wheel
which is gen prepped , installed a 5500 onan which has 5 wires 2 white neutral,1 30 amp 1 20 amp,1 green
camper has 1 red,1 blk,1 white 1 bare copper in junction box
what goes where,thanks

You should start a new thread to start getting your questions answered.

To start a new topic, click up at the top on Dutchmen owners and scroll down to maybe the electrical section. You can post it in any of the topic areas and it will show in the new posts column you found this thread.

Your post if off topic here and buried at the bottom of the OP question.

Just start a new thread with your question in the subject or title line and you will get more help

I have no answers for you on your question. No knowledge on the subject.

Welcome to the forum.

Arlan
Old 08-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #39

Texas
X2 on above. You need to download the Onan installation manual off the Web

The green wire is the ground to copper, both white go on the one white neutral wire. The black is probably the 30 amp side and the red the 20. You can check to make sure after you hook up by flipping the breakers on the front of the generator. The 30 amp line should power your main AC.

You should run a test as outlined in the manual that checks the difference of the engine cooling air flow between the intake & exhaust and if it's a new generator be sure and run the break in.

Make sure your engine exhaust tailpipe is installed to spec. I believe it should be at least 6 inches below and 3 inches out from the edge of the trailer.

I wouldn't follow anyone's advice about installing a generator because if it's done wrong it can kill you, that's why you need to download the installation manual.

Buy two new quality Carbon monoxide detectors and install one in the bedroom and the other in the back of the trailer. If you have another bedroom get three.

Good Luck!!!

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 AM   #40

California
I recall seeing a post where someone solved this by adding a fuel pump to help when the gen in front is higher than the tank in back, as fuel flow was the issue. I have not tried running the gen on the road yet but will next time.

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote