Generator fuel gauge (Digital) flashes red from day one - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2017, 02:38 AM   #21

Arkansas
Glad you got it fixed congratulations it's a damn shame we have to go thru figuring this stuff out on our own

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #22

Alabama
Yes it is! For what we pay one would think they could give us better finished product.

Schuffyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #23

Alabama
Hey Scott, does your digital gauge work ok so far? My generator has been running all morning and still shows full. Im starting to worry. LOL
Old 09-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #24

Arkansas
Yes mine works as it should now it may be still full the genset only uses about three-quarters of a gallon per hour

Old 09-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #25

Alabama
Ok, i'm going to let it run then.
Thanks buddy! I'll let you know!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #26

Alabama
worked fine

I let it run all night for a total of 14 hours and it used a 1/4 tank, from full to 3/4 tank indicated.
Thanks for your help Scott!!!
Old 10-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #27

West Virginia
I have a 2017 voltage and my gage was flashing red on empty, my gas tank was full. I called my dealer and they told me they did not have a generator tech. I called the maker of the gage and they told me that they have had many calls on that problem and the hour meters running while the generator was not on. I had to take the camper to an Onan dealer. They found that the camper was not wired right. Its a shame that a dealer will not look or repair this problem. I called a lot of Dealers and they said they would not look at it because we did not buy from them. As a Keystone / Dutchman Dealer they should have to do anything that is under warranty.
DENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #28

Arkansas
Dennys did you get it fixed?

Old 10-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #29

Alabama
Since I corrected the wire and tested my Gen. the hour meter has not advanced. Mine seems fine.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #30

West Virginia
generator wiring

Yes I did, we had to go to an Onan Dealer, it was wired wrong from the factory I can't believe the keystone Dealer didn't have a tech with the training to repair the problem.
DENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #31

Alabama
I called my dealer and gave them a description of what we did to correct the problem on our 3605's. Hooefully they will share it with the factory guys.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #32

Texas
This is the RV world!
I'm not happy about it either, but what can ya do about it? I love RVing too much to let them (industry) steal the enjoyment from me.

Home Depot has the right slogan for most of us, considering the circumstances......."Let's Do It!"
And actually, Home Depot and all they stand for represents a good portion of what is REQUIRED for happy RVing.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #33

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
This is the RV world!
I'm not happy about it either, but what can ya do about it? I love RVing too much to let them (industry) steal the enjoyment from me.

Home Depot has the right slogan for most of us, considering the circumstances......."Let's Do It!"
And actually, Home Depot and all they stand for represents a good portion of what is REQUIRED for happy RVing.
I prefer, Screw it, let's do it!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #34

Arkansas
Glad you got it fixed I'm sure it's the same problem as mine and all the others took me about 3 hours to track it down

Old 10-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #35

California
I live about 2 hours from my dealer so 4 hours round-trip. And I know they will absolutely have to "diagnose" an issue before they order a part which means they will either need the trailer for 2 days if I am absolutely lucky or longer more likely while they wait for a part. So my choices are 2 different round trips to the dealer so I can drop off then pick up or 2 trips and I keep the trailer--and who knows how long they will need it to do whatever work once parts come in but I am sure more than a full day.

Needless to say I will spend 5 hours minimum trying to fix a problem on my own before I consider taking it in for anything. Obviously, my distance from the dealer is not their fault, nor is it Dutchmen's but it means my rig is not going in unless I can't fix it or it is too costly.

I have the same issue as you guys with my fuel gauge and this on a brand new 2018. Of course it was flashing when I picked it up but we knew the fuel was low which would "go away as soon as I filled it" and I didn't want to put in their 87 octane because I have off-road toys that need 91. Of course I was home before I realized I had this issue.

I have already pulled the gauges out of the wall and didn't have any luck with this fix but hopefully with some more detail now included i can make it work next time.
dsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #36

Alabama
As Scott (much deserved thanks for finding the fix) has stated if you follow the black wire off the center of the gauge you should find a black wire with a red stripe and it more than likely has a wire nut on the end. Mine was right behind the gauge not more than 6 to 8 inches away. I spliced it into a brown wire and it works fine. Also the thick white wire on the gauge will make it work as well. good luck.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:05 AM   #37

California
So my center wire is black with a red stripe and it is paired with a red wire that has a wire nut on it. Is it possible the red wire needs to be grounded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #38

Arkansas
Yes I'm sure it's the same setup they may be using different wire now

Old 10-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #39

Alabama
Yep, more than likely. Just ground that red wire to either a brown or a white. Either of those colors supplied a good ground on mine.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #40

California
Generator fuel gauge (Digital) flashes red from day one

Guys, first off I really appreciate your help but I think I have a different issue with the same symptoms though.

I have tried to ground that one red wire I have with the wire not and nothing happens. Here is where it gets weird and why I think I have a different issue. If I take the wire off the center terminal and touch the wire that had the wire nut on it to the center terminal the digital reading goes straight to full. But if I ground that wire nothing happens. I have tried reversing those two wires which assumes they mixed up the ground and the send but still nothing.

Now here is what is really strange, if I use my multi-meter and touch the center “SND” terminal and the bottom left labeled as “GRD” then my multi meter shows 5.39 volts which is what I would expect for a near half full tank assuming that 12 volts would be full.

I actually think there might be a problem with my gauge because no matter what I do I can’t get a reading. I am afraid to start cutting and splicing wires because I have a hunch that my dealer will try to void a warranty claim if they see my new connections behind the gauge.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk