Garage AC unit - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

Colorado
Garage AC unit

Pirate here,

Well...back in 2014 when we ordered our Voltage Epic III 3800...we opted not to have the third AC unit, the one in the Garage, installed.

Well...now we wish we had it and are wondering about how to go about installing one.

Wife googled it, and got a post on this forum....but questions?

"load management system" is this something already installed with the rest of the electrical load in the trailer to prevent tripping the generator?

Is the wiring for the third AC unit already in place?

Can someone tell me what AC unit goes in?

Saw somewhere using a separate thermostat for the Garage AC unit?

This a project I could do myself? Tips? And yes, I have the machinery to get the AC unit up on the roof without killing myself.

Help?

Thanks,

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #2

Colorado
We have the third AC unit. Smaller 13.5 BTU. If you pull the vent out you will be able to determine if the wires are there and yes, ours has a separate thermostat for that AC unit. Good luck!

4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #3

Texas
In May we bought a left over 2015 V4000 with 2 air conditioners and had a local dealer install a 3rd unit in the garage before our first trip. Our unit was not pre-wired for the third unit and does not have the energy management system. The dealer had to install an additional breaker, run the power wire and run the thermostat wire. We had them install the same Dometic 15,000 btu unit that is in the living room. The total cost was around $1,700. They did a great job and the installation is very clean, but they are an above average dealer. If I were younger I could have handled this myself and saved $600 - $700 dollars.

I may add the energy management system in the future, but we have no problem running all 3 units and the microwave on 50 Amp shore power or 2 units and maybe the microwave on the generator. I will probably add hard start capacitors to all 3 units over the winter to reduce startup current draw as 2 units will sometimes cause the generator to stumble if they both start the compressors at the same time.
Bluefinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:14 AM   #4

Colorado
Bluefinger,

Can you help me understand that adding "hard start capacitors". This ol Mechanical Engineer doesn't under stand that.

And what is the "energy management system" Got me there too!

Is the wiring run between the interior ceiling and the roof? Wonder how the heck they got that run.

Many thanks,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:36 AM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Bluefinger,

Can you help me understand that adding "hard start capacitors". This ol Mechanical Engineer doesn't under stand that.

Is the wiring run between the interior ceiling and the roof? Wonder how the heck they got that run.

Many thanks,

Pirate

The hard start capacitors store power and reduce the current draw from shore power or the generator when the compressors start.

If you turn on too many appliances the energy management system will shut down a load automatically, such as one of the air conditioners, instead of tripping a breaker.

There is space between the ceiling and roof to run wires, if you pull down speakers or lights you can often use the holes to fish wires from one end of the RV to the other. In the past I've used fiberglass wire fish rods or a wire fish tape.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Bluefinger,

Many thanks,

Pirate
Pirate - remove the cover from the 120V electrical panel and you will see, for lack of a better term, what is an amp meter in there with wires connected to the wires supplying your air conditioners. This connects the LMS (Load Management System) panel to monitor the load your camper is using. The main hot wire coming into supply your camper runs thru the center of this ammeter.

Do you have an LMS panel on the wall inside the camper near the fuse box? It would similar to the bottom panel in this picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160514 Bogart Engineering Battery Monitor 1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	3696  
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:41 AM   #7

Ontario
My (50A) rig doesn't have a LMS. I thought they were generally for 30A rigs. His is 50A.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:30 AM   #8

Michigan
Mine is 50A. With three AC's there should be an LMS. The LMS begins shedding loads at 44A

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #9

California
As far as I know there is no LMS in any "V' model Voltages that have two A/C units.
I did add the hard start capacitors to both my A/C units & they help. I can tell the difference of how quick they fire up.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefinger View Post
In May we bought a left over 2015 V4000 with 2 air conditioners and had a local dealer install a 3rd unit in the garage before our first trip. Our unit was not pre-wired for the third unit and does not have the energy management system. The dealer had to install an additional breaker, run the power wire and run the thermostat wire. We had them install the same Dometic 15,000 btu unit that is in the living room. The total cost was around $1,700. They did a great job and the installation is very clean, but they are an above average dealer. If I were younger I could have handled this myself and saved $600 - $700 dollars.

I may add the energy management system in the future, but we have no problem running all 3 units and the microwave on 50 Amp shore power or 2 units and maybe the microwave on the generator. I will probably add hard start capacitors to all 3 units over the winter to reduce startup current draw as 2 units will sometimes cause the generator to stumble if they both start the compressors at the same time.
Name and location of this "above average dealer"?
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
Name and location of this "above average dealer"?
Happy Trails USA in Rockwall Texas.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:14 AM   #12

Maine
My LMS in my 3970 has yet to actually shed load before the gen breaker trips. It's on my mile long list of items to try to fix on my own...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

boostme is offline   Reply With Quote