Furnace? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #1

Wyoming
Furnace?

This is a two part question,first is heater vent in garage has very little air coming out no way it will warm it up. Is it just to far from furnace to get much air.

Second question we are in Black Hills right now had snow yesterday with lows in upper 20s furnace came on ran for few minutes shut off then back on 3 or 4 minutes later. Is this normal being so big they cool down that fast.

20 4145 Voltage
Hwtezrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #2

Wyoming
Could be a few things...

First, as I’m sure you can guess, the garage is not nearly as well insulated as the other portions of the rig... particularly underneath the floor. In fact, there’s NO insulation under it.

Next... you only have that one furnace vent into the garage, and as you said, it’s a long run. If you don’t feel a significant amount of air coming from it when the furnace is on... pull the vent from the wall and verify the hose is fully connected to it. Also if you don’t feel a significant amount of air coming through the hose... check for tears and/or leaks in it that may be allowing your heat to hemorrhage into other areas.

And finally... the only sensor for turning the furnace on & off according to temperature is at the thermostat, which is of course, not in the garage.

Now... if you don’t mind a suggestion:

Unless you’re boondocking... do yourself a favor, and buy a couple of thermostat-controlled ceramic disc heaters like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	62AB8C97-768A-4878-A698-D98D93869EE3.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	6472

First off, they’re completely safe... including tip-over protection that shuts them off.

Second, you can place them where needed, and control your your temp as desired.

Next, they run on electricity... not propane. Since you’re already getting free electricity with your campsite rate... heat your rig using THEIR electricity instead of YOUR propane that you have to pay extra for. Even if you’re paying a monthly rate, where you pay your electric bill separately... these things are still cheaper & more efficient to use in the long run.

They come in various sizes & brands... but you can easily find them at most Walmart’s or hardware stores... or have them shipped direct to you from Amazon.

I’ve been using these for the past 6 years... and in all that time, the only time I’ve even turned the furnace on is to verify it still works every 6 months, or to simply take the morning chill off the rig on those mornings I didn’t set my ceramic heaters up the night before.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #3

Wyoming
Thanks for the info
20 4145 Voltage
Hwtezrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:21 PM   #4

Arizona
Not a genius, just my opinion. only used my furnace once, 4 years ago and it ate propane,, blew hot and hard at the back of the trailer not in kitchen or front, bought a twist 4 inch cap and when almost shut it diverts air up front,,,
2) a TT has thin one inch walls, I imagine it will cool down fast
3), my gas furnace at home will come on after shutting off if the drum temp which heats up, is still at a certain temp,, wonder if that is what is going on with yours,
4) I have a 6 mm camera that puts out a wifi signal to my phone, I use it in alot of places and was under 40 bucks.. the boys building these things dont really care of the income.. the line might be blocked, maybe using a shop vac on blow? and see where it goes..
good luck..
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote