From toy hauler to RV? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #1

North Carolina
From toy hauler to RV?

When I got back into the atv world, I bought a Polaris rzr sxs. In doing so, I bought a custom made car hauler with baths, sinks, toilets, etc, etc.

I went from that to a much larger one with pop out beds and though I liked it, the wife wanted some more homey.

I ended up buying a Vengeance toy hauler (which was my worst decision) which got traded in for my Voltage 3950.

The 3950 has been fantastic. Yes, it's had a couple of issues but overall, I am very happy with the product and using it.

Yesterday, I went to trade it in for an Neumar RV. In doing so, I worked out a deal to trade my 2014 F350 dually and Voltage in for it.

Has anyone here gone with an RV and then back to a toy hauler. I've always stayed away from an RV because I like the idea that if I go somewhere and need to run into town while out riding, I can unhook the truck and go. With the RV, it's that convenient.

I just don't want to buy an RV and find out later that I should have just kept what I had.

Any thoughts?

Mark

orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #2

Wyoming
Mark...

I have no direct experience with it, but know 2 people that have. One is happy, one isn't. The reasons are varied.

I've thought about doing something similar, as I would really like more living space instead of a shared kitchen & LR area in a TH... but like you, I want the convenience of having a 'go to town' vehicle.

I think if I were to do it, the only way I'd be happy is to go all out and get a diesel pusher luxury RV, towing a 20'-to-24' enclosed trailer that would hold both a toy (in my case, a motorcycle) and a small car. But that takes big bucks... not only to buy the hardware, but to operate it... and I'm not that financially well off.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Mark...

I have no direct experience with it, but know 2 people that have. One is happy, one isn't. The reasons are varied.

I've thought about doing something similar, as I would really like more living space instead of a shared kitchen & LR area in a TH... but like you, I want the convenience of having a 'go to town' vehicle.

I think if I were to do it, the only way I'd be happy is to go all out and get a diesel pusher luxury RV, towing a 20'-to-24' enclosed trailer that would hold both a toy (in my case, a motorcycle) and a small car. But that takes big bucks... not only to buy the hardware, but to operate it... and I'm not that financially well off.
I have seen a setup like that a couple times, even thought about it ourselves, considering we just dropped enough coin on the setup we have now to get a very nice diesel pusher (slightly used). We kept going back to where to park such a large trailer when at the campground. Also thought about the hydraulic bike hoist and dinghy tow, but a TAG axle would be required to remain legit for the weights. For the time being we love what we have and love the fact we did not lose any living space due to a steering wheel and passenger seat.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #4

North Carolina
Thanks guys… I worked out a deal with an RV dealer for a Neuman Ventana 42' RV. I have to get my tax stuff to them Monday and I'm just hoping I'm not making a mistake.

The RV (diesel pusher with tag axles) is very nice and I was just going to buy an enclosed trailer for my rzr. (I want to buy one anyways for my track car which now I would be able to stay at the track instead of getting a hotel)

Payments would be the same roughly of what I'm paying now for my truck and trailer (I financed the truck but only financed 20K on the trailer, the rest I paid cash for)

I just know how depreciable these vehicles are, just having second thoughts.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Different strokes for different folks...

I can see in the future having a smallish Class C with a trailer for toy hauling.

One of our relatives has an American Dream Class A diesel pusher, he pulls a Honda sedan on a dolly, or a Saturn Vue 4 down. Works for him and he is happy. Another relative has a Class C that he carries a scooter on the rear bumper, or tows his Harley on a trailer.

You have to settle on what works for you at the moment. I have had a tent, popup, 5ver, Airstream and now a 16' Coleman. The Coleman fills the bill for what we need right now. I don't expect to keep it forever, but you never know.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #6

Tennessee
As a former motor home owner for upwards of 20 years heres my opinion. We loved our Blue Bird Wanderlodge. It stayed ready to go in a second. Unplug, hook up our Jeep and go. Nice to have the wife make you lunch and have all the luxuries of home driving down the road very convenient among other things and not have to pull over all the time to use rest room get something to eat so on. While there are numerous pros too many to list, there are also cons.

Motor Homes are more expensive to operate. Much more upkeep, maintenance, air systems, list goes on.. They are much more complicated in design, more bells and whistles.... depending on what you spend the amenities are unlimited.

Tow vehicle or trailer a must. Using a tow vehicle requires tow bar and bracket to fit your specific vehicle can be pricey. Also your tow vehicle MUST be towable. Trailer depends on what you want to haul bikes plus car so on. Consider the weight of towed unit. Do you have enough engine horse power. Most motor homes with diesels engine "rear pushers" will handle it. Most will be equipped with an Allison Transmission... the best.

5th wheels by comparison are less expensive.... however not cheap, they are much easier to maintain and and dont cost near what it cost to maintain or service a MH. If you you have to buy a truck to pull your fifthwheel it starts to add up quick. Now you have service on that as well. If you use your truck as I do for your daily driver I really dont equate the maintence along with the trailer.

Honestly! As much as I miss my buss that I lost due to a refrigerator fire I have literally saved thousands of dollars since weve owned our Voltage. I really haven't spend very much $$ on the fithwheel. I do find myself comparing it to my motorhomes and find no comparison as far as quality... but comparing the money savings in fuel maintenance tires so on, its hugh.

I think fifthwheels can go where some motorhomes cant due to weight which is nice for some folks. Whereas 5th wheels are not allowed in most motor coach resorts which sucks for us because we have a lot of places we are used to going and cant now... but thats fine.

Whatever you get, enjoy it may cost a little more, if your a do it yourselfer you'll save tons. NO Schwintek I hope...
Old 12-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #7

Indiana
Honestly, motorhome people are motorhome people and 5th wheel people are 5th wheel people. Some people can make the transition from one to the other. If you can, great. The fact that you're having reservations is normal. It would have been nice if you could have tried out a MH before biting the bullet.

We've toyed with having a MH vs a 5er for years. Our reasons for having a 5er out way the reasons for having a MH. I have friends and family that have MH's & 5ers. All of us have strong reasons why we purchased and like what we own. I'm on my 4th 5er.

Best O' luck! Hate to see ya move on.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:27 AM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Thanks guys… I worked out a deal with an RV dealer for a Neuman Ventana 42' RV. I have to get my tax stuff to them Monday and I'm just hoping I'm not making a mistake.

The RV (diesel pusher with tag axles) is very nice and I was just going to buy an enclosed trailer for my rzr. (I want to buy one anyways for my track car which now I would be able to stay at the track instead of getting a hotel)

Payments would be the same roughly of what I'm paying now for my truck and trailer (I financed the truck but only financed 20K on the trailer, the rest I paid cash for)

I just know how depreciable these vehicles are, just having second thoughts.

Thanks,

Mark

What year Newmar? They're nice! Enjoy... it's a huge step up.. they've been in business for a long time and for the most part a good reputation.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
What year Newmar? They're nice! Enjoy... it's a huge step up.. they've been in business for a long time and for the most part a good reputation.
The one I filled out the paperwork is a 2015 Newmar Ventana. Ironic part is a friend of a friend called and told me he's selling a 2006 Newmar Essex (which is like 2 steps above) with 22K miles. It's flawless and honestly, looks almost the same as the 2015 I'm buying.

I'd hate to pick up a used one only to have problems later.

Mark
Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #10

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I'd hate to pick up a used one only to have problems later
Or... another way to look at it is... the previous owner may have have already had all of the issues corrected on the used one, whereas you'll have to go throught the process of dealing with a host of issues on the new one.

I know when/if I end up selling or trading my rig, someone's going to get a nice 3200 with all of the bugs already worked out, and some nice additions made.... all because my sole reason for trading is to get a larger one.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #11

Alberta
I'm not sure how your insurance rates work where you are, I have the greatest, most expensive insurance I can get for my rig, cost $600/year, my dad has a 2000 triple E commander III, his insurance is $1200/year. His tires cost $300 each ($1800) roughly every 4years, my rig's tires cost about $1000. Another huge issue we have, I have 50 gallons of gas on board for toys and genset, dad would have to take my truck into town, and fill a couple jerry cans for his quad if he ran out, or just to go the store if you ran out of milk for breakfast. I also get about 14mpg on average with truck and trailer, where dad would fight to get 10mpg pulling his quad trailer. This trailer set up works best for me, dad enjoys his MH, its what works best for you too, who knows, you might enjoy the MH more, then again you might have a numar for sale in 3 years too. Only time and life habits will tell.
2012 Can-Am Commander XT 1000, 1998 golwing GL1500
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #12

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dmax360 View Post
.....Another huge issue we have, I have 50 gallons of gas on board for toys and genset, dad would have to take my truck into town, and fill a couple jerry cans for his quad if he ran out.....
You don't hook him up with some of your fuel....marked up of course??

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #13

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
You don't hook him up with some of your fuel....marked up of course??

Cale
Hell NO!!! every man for themselves!!! Just kidding, of course I will share, but if he's out and we're not, he's crap out of luck and has to pack up camp and go to town.

2012 Can-Am Commander XT 1000, 1998 golwing GL1500
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote