Faulty main slide on Voltage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2018, 01:59 AM   #1

Washington
Faulty main slide on Voltage

We have a 2016 V series Voltage 3305 with the cable slides. Today, after leveling, we encountered an issue with the main liviing room slide. When pushing the button to extend the slide, the motor engages and for .5 seconds, it sounds normal. But then it gets hung up and starts “popping” like it’s trying to rip the wall off the trailer. The cables and chain are tight after the initial .5 section extension but there is no movement of the gear, chain or cables once the whole setup hangs up.
Any ideas?

The Cramblersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:07 AM   #2
RDJ

Washington
I would try and check the pulleys on the wall to see if there still attached and make sure the cables are still in place...good luck and let us know what you find out

Old 08-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #3

Illinois
Gearbox or motor gears?
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Several possibilities...
  • Cable has come off a pulley
  • Something way out of adjustment, cables too slack?
  • Something has pulled off it's mounting point, pulley, motor, cable attachment, etc.

Get a visual inspection of all the parts and you should be able to spot the problem pretty quickly. Cable slides are some of the easiest to work on, but they do require occasional maintenance and adjustment.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #5

California
We had the same issue a few years back. Ended up being a broken tooth in the gear box.
RvrRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #6

Colorado
I have had to change both gearboxes in my 2015, V3605 for the main and kitchen slides. Almost exactly one year apart from each other. Prior to gearbox failures the slides moved in and out smoothly. I suspect, like mine did when the gear fails, you say the slide pops. It's because of a bad main gear in the gearbox. I have two broken gear boxes sitting on the bench with the same gear broken from each slide. The newer gearboxes have been upgraded. I opened up the replacement gearboxes and confirmed that but I couldn't not tell you when the upgrade took place. Hopefully you are still under warranty. It's not a real hard job to replace the gearbox but it does take some time.

(SAFETY TIP, IF YOU DECIDE IT IS THE GEAR BOX AND YOU ARE GOING TO REPLACE IT YOUR SELF, BEFORE YOU RELEASE THE CABLES YOU MUST USE A BOARD ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SLIDE AND A JACK TO SUPPORT THE SLIDE TO KEEP IT FROM DROPPING. ALSO, KEEP YOU FINGERS AWAY FROM PINCH POINTS AND CABLES UNLESS YOU AE OKAY LOOSING A FINGER OR TWO UNTIL YOU KNOW THE SLIDE IS SECURE)

Again, it's not a hard job but it does take some time get it all lined up. Take a lot of pictures of how the cables are lined up and their adjustments.
bkuuz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #7

Texas
Grearbox I bet. I've replace three.......
Old 08-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #8

Washington
Update

Well, now in addition to the main slide, the Kitchen slide on the opposite wall is doing the exact same thing, a day apart!!!. (It appears it is pulling the top of the slide better than the bottom). We managed to get the kitchen slide extended last night but not without a batch of pops and wall shimmies on its way out. I have a mobile RV guy coming to take a look today. I confirmed all pulleys are on the wall and all cables are in their respective pulleys (these work in a closed loop like my aircraft controls so it all makes sense to me....except the inelegant geometry they use to transition to the lower slide.

Any idea how much new gear boxes should cost? I understand the big slide has a higher torque motor with a hold anodized finish. The motors seem OK. Are they separate parts?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cramblersons View Post
Well, now in addition to the main slide, the Kitchen slide on the opposite wall is doing the exact same thing, a day apart!!!. (It appears it is pulling the top of the slide better than the bottom). We managed to get the kitchen slide extended last night but not without a batch of pops and wall shimmies on its way out. I have a mobile RV guy coming to take a look today. I confirmed all pulleys are on the wall and all cables are in their respective pulleys (these work in a closed loop like my aircraft controls so it all makes sense to me....except the inelegant geometry they use to transition to the lower slide.

Any idea how much new gear boxes should cost? I understand the big slide has a higher torque motor with a hold anodized finish. The motors seem OK. Are they separate parts?

Mine had a loose motor and was slipping on the cables.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #10

Illinois
Had my gearbox replaced under extended warranty. It was under $200. A while ago, so I'm not sure on exact price. I guess the gears are just pot metal so they are prone to failing. Same issue with gear in the motor.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #11

Ontario
Back to Schwintek?
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #12

South Carolina
See if these tutorials help.

Accu-Slide Cable Replacement Training Video

Good luck!
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:43 PM   #13

Michigan
The issue with mine was a leak above the slide dripped down inside wall and made the floor OSB swell. Then, when beinging in the slide the swollen floor would tilt the slide causing it to dig into the living room floor, ripping the vinyl flooring and preventing full closure. I fixed the leaks and belt sanded the swollen wood flat again.
cavnet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #14

Washington
Slideouts fixed!

A quick update. Photos will follow when we get back home.

I diagnosed the problem for both slides down to the gearbox. The motors work fine when removed from the gearboxes and manually driving the spindle straight into the gearboxes yielded the same condition. The slide effectively moved 2", then it "popped", slipped backwards, and the whole routine started over again.

The culprit proved to be the center gear in both gearboxes (which is probably better classified as a "gear reduction box". Two adjacent teeth on the narrow shaft sheared off in one box, and one tooth sheared in the other. All these a day apart! In a way, I am glad it happened all at once and not 3 weeks apart. Fixed both of them (once the parts arrived) took all of 2.5 hours, which included realigning the cables which were slightly off to begin with. Now everything tracks evenly and smoothly. $110 per gearbox. Seemed reasonable to me but, man, these things are made of low-grade, dirty steel!!
Old 08-20-2018, 04:39 AM   #15

California
Faulty slide

On our recent trip to Colorado with our 2016 Voltage 3605 I experienced my main slide not working. Your situation was exactly the same as mine. The RV doctor replaced my gear box at my campsite. The new gear box sounds more heavy duty than the other slides. I'm sure it will be a matter of time before I will need to replace the others. Cheap parts on high end trailers seem to be the norm in the recreational industry.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:24 AM   #16

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcvey View Post
Cheap parts on high end trailers seem to be the norm in the recreational industry.
No one here is likely to disagree with that statement. I don’t know if you’ve looked behind the modesty panel in the basement yet. If not, DONT!!

The Cramblersons is offline   Reply With Quote