Factory G-Rated tire upgrade - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2018, 01:21 AM   #1

Louisiana
Factory G-Rated tire upgrade

I am going to be in the market for a Voltage in a few years when I retire. I notice on the Voltage website that a factory upgrade to a g Rated tire is available. Does anyone know if it is worth it or are the still Westlake tires? Would I be better off using the money to buy some Sailun tires instead?

T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:25 AM   #2

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
I am going to be in the market for a Voltage in a few years when I retire. I notice on the Voltage website that a factory upgrade to a g Rated tire is available. Does anyone know if it is worth it or are the still Westlake tires? Would I be better off using the money to buy some Sailun tires instead?
Go with the Sailuns great Tire and probably cheaper than the factory upgrade!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:32 AM   #3

Nevada
Sailuns

When we got our Voltage, it came with the Westlakes, a lot of other Voltage owners were having trouble with them, We went ahead and got the Sailuns, They are way better then the Westlake's, We had about 6,000 miles before the change, The weight of the tire and sidewalls will make you get the Sailuns. Ask the price from the Dealer first, then check with Big-O tire for pricing.
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #4

Idaho
I have Geostar G574 14 ply tires on my trailer. We have put 23K miles on them in the past 8 months with no issues, and they were on the trailer when I bought it last summer. Highly recommended. $125 each at Walmart.
Idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #5

Washington
Sailuns S637

We just put the Sailuns on this weekend. First run seems good. I didn't notice a big change to the ride over the factory Westlakes, but the S637 is beefy! (I went with the 85's over the factory 80's)
I know a lot of folks have had problems with their Westlakes. We ran them approx 10k.miles in all types of weather. Checked the tire pressure often and never had a problem. When we removed them, I noted slightly more wear and cupping on the right tires than the left, but not significant. But I trust the Sailuns just based on their weight and heft.
Some guys go to the 17.5" wheels and tires to reduce rpm. If you were going to make a factory change, maybe that's where your money is better spent after market.
Good luck!
Old 06-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #6

Louisiana
Yes I believe I will probably be better off spending the money on the Sailun's instead of a factory upgrade. Also, after thinking about it I plan on getting the TPMS monitoring system on the new tow vehicle so what better time to install the sensors as during the tire upgrade.
T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #7

Florida
Factory G-Rated tire upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post

G rated tires are a MUST . First blowout with
Factory’s E’s with great tread cost my insurance co. About 6K and 3 weeks in the shop... so G’s are cheap insurance. I tell every RV owner to go up at least 1 load rating (D’s to E’s..E’s to G’s) etc etc.
4K load rating can help fill the gap for a trailer not perfectly level or perfectly loaded as well. As an added bonus I feel it pulls much better as well stiffer side wall means I’m pulling a round tire not pushing an egg 🥚 and less side walk flex means it doesn’t sway as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #8

Texas
2013 new Voltage, 2014 3 blowouts with factory tires. Changed them all to Goodyear Marathon's same rating (we were on the road...). 2017 3 more blowouts had time and $. Changed all to Goodyear G rates. No problem since. Do it! The repairs were a pain and took forever both times. Also, get a TPMS system.
mauerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #9

Ontario
Make sure your rims are rated for the extra pressure the G's required to handle higher load.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:08 AM   #10

North Carolina
We ordered / purchased a 2017 Voltage and the day we brought it home I took it to my local tire store. I had already negotiated the trade in and purchase of new tires. I had read enough horror stories about all the OEM tires on RVs that I wanted some peace of mind. We went with a Greenball Towmaster Tire in a 14 ply G rated all steel 16 inch. As others have said ensure your wheel has enough load rating to handle the new tire. Toyhauler pulls very well and when backing the tires don’t flex much at all. Normally run 105 lbs pressure and to date no issues. Probably 6k miles on them. Couple things to consider IMO. These tires are approx 60lbs in weight per tire not including the wheel. When you add up all 7 tires (spare) the extra rolling mass I believe has some negative effects on stopping. I didn’t have but 20 miles on the stock tires before changing so can’t compare exactly. However, my tow vehicle is a 2017 Ram 5500 C&C so it’s disc brakes are very large already. The drum brakes on the RV are mushy and frankly with gain on 9 it still feels like it needs more in emergency stopping situations. I have a full set of hydraulic disc brakes in the shop for 6mth just haven’t made time to install them. My RV weighs in at 19,900 lbs when loaded so with all the variables not sure what the tires actually bring to the equation. Lastly, these tires were about an inch taller overall. With RV coming in at 13.4 ft tall this now puts us at 13.5+. All trips have to be meticulously planned so we don’t have bridge issues etc. In summary, go with a good G rated tire from the start and minimize the chance of tire blowouts. There will be other things to challenge you with on the RV to keep you occupied. Lol. Good luck.
dkruchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:01 AM   #11

Ontario
I don't think the weight of the tires makes any noticeable difference to stopping difference. I ran the stock ST tires on my 3950 for almost 20000km before changing them for LT tires.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #12

Tennessee
While I don’t have a Voltage I do have a Denali. The factory tires were 15” D rated. I had less than 5,000 miles on it and had two blow outs. Way too expensive.

Upgraded to Maxim E rated a month ago and replaced the pathetic E Brakes with Titan Disc Brakes. Also added a TPMS system.

Trailer pulls better with the stiffer tires and the braking is greatly improved. Hard stops are much better, almost as if the trailer wasn’t there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #13

California
G rated tire

I went another direction. I found a 19.5 rims and put 225/704 19.5 tires on my Voltage 5th wheel. The trailer handled well on the factory tires. It handles great now. I bought the rims from Boar Tire and Wheel. I posted some pics frist time doing this let me know if they don't come through.

atv rider is offline   Reply With Quote