Extra Shower Light? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #1

Wyoming
Extra Shower Light?

I've been thinking of buying & installing an extra puck-light directly over the shower.

My rig has 2 puck lights over the mirror... and another 2 pucks installed near both doors. But there are none shining directly into the shower unit. During a bright sunny day, there's never an issue because of the skylight. But on cloudy days, or at night... it's just a tad dark in there to me.

I'm one of those guys who shaves in the shower (old military habit), and having adequate light in there is kinda important.

Now I'm assuming that the reason no light was installed directly over the shower was because of possible steam & condensation issues... but I'm thinking so long as I have my exhaust vent powered up when using the shower, that shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone else have any thoughts as to why I shouldn't?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #2

Florida
I would be sure to use a water proof ficture something like this, and of course seal around the base fixture real well...

Also after seeing the picture of the plumbing through the A/C vent, you never know what is where....

In the navy, we weren't allowed to take hollywood showers and shave in the shower, used too much fresh water.

The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #3

Arizona
I installed a strip of LED lighting along my skylight. Took some figuring but got it done. Shower is now really bright. I also shave in the shower.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
In the navy, we weren't allowed to take hollywood showers and shave in the shower, used too much fresh water.
I don't understand that statement at all. I shave in the shower all the time. We boon dock almost all the time and navy style showers are a must. I get wet, turn off water, soap up, face included, shave, wash hair and rinse off.

Sorry, I just don't understand the Hollywood style shower statement.

Off topic, but my previous post was in reply to shower lighting.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:06 AM   #5

Colorado
I understand the Hollywood reference, but ...... in our camper lighting in the shower is not an issue. I mean, really? Do you not know where your body parts are? Do you really need blinding light to know where to scrub?? Give me a break!

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I understand the Hollywood reference, but ...... in our camper lighting in the shower is not an issue. I mean, really? Do you not know where your body parts are? Do you really need blinding light to know where to scrub?? Give me a break!
Well we are getting older and have a tendency to forget where things are... :

I think using a strip of LED lights might be the way to go vs a full light fixture. You could even use the ones that are in a clear plastic tube.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
Shaving was the need for more light. Not washing the junk.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Shaving was the need for more light. Not washing the junk.
Amazing how stuff gets turned around... good grief!
Old 12-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #9

Wyoming
Well, at least it's been entertaining.

Do I NEED another light? Of course not. Would it be nice? Sure. Are there cheaper & easier ways to do it? Again, of course. I could simply go buy a couple of those AA-battry powered stick-on lights, and not have to worry about any corrosion issues. When it gets messy or burns out, throw it away & stick on another one.

I was simply wondering if anyone else had already installed a puck light to match the others in the bathroom... and if so, if they'd encountered any problems.

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. Won't cost me but about $25 for a matching puck-light fixture & about 4' of wire at the most.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #10

California
One of the reasons we picked the V3605 was the bathroom. I also shave in the shower but never have a mirror in there. If I did there is plenty of light from the sink & bathroom light to see in ours.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
I am still trying to figure out the need for light for shaving... if there isn't a mirror in the shower?

I can shave in pitch black dark, if I have to. I can also use an electric razor and do it completely by feel. However I usually use a Rolls Razor, and shave over the sink. When camping it is usually either in a bath house or with a pan of water at the picnic table.

Aaron
Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #12

Wyoming
Wow... I think this thread is about to jump the shark.

Yeah, trust me... I can shave in the dark too... if I have to. I can also shave with COLD water... and-or... with NO water. Yet another of the many traits instilled into me at the hands of my sadistic drill instructors at Parris Island.

But why should I, if I don't have to? Isn't that why we all do various mods to our rigs? Because we like them to be convenient for us? To have the little things that we like to make our lives easier?

To that end, I have a mirror in my shower... a fogless mirror at that. And I also have a dispenser for my shampoo & body wash, and a place to hang my razor, etc. Keeps me from having to have multiple bottles of toiletries in hanging baskets everywhere.

So anyway...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
I am surprised that fancy pants dispenser didn't come with it's own light! Last time I saw one of those was on a cruise ship.

My shower barely has enough room for me... forget any extras.

Aaron
Old 12-18-2014, 01:59 AM   #14

Arizona

If I had it to do over again. I would have used smaller gauge wire, white in color and soldered the wire at a 90 degree angle so you would not see it. Hind sight and all that stuff. Oh well. It is really bright in the shower however.

And I do have a mirror in all my showers. Some of us have some facial hair that need to be trimmed to.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #15

Michigan
Quote:

if i had it to do over again. I would have used smaller gauge wire, white in color and soldered the wire at a 90 degree angle so you would not see it. Hind sight and all that stuff. Oh well. It is really bright in the shower however.

And i do have a mirror in all my showers. Some of us have some facial hair that need to be trimmed to.
sweet!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #16

Tennessee
I've never seen so many people opposed to showering under a light, must be negative body issues, haha. I NEVER shave while camping, but do enjoy a bright light and a shower when I do.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:

If I had it to do over again. I would have used smaller gauge wire, white in color and soldered the wire at a 90 degree angle so you would not see it. Hind sight and all that stuff. Oh well. It is really bright in the shower however.

And I do have a mirror in all my showers. Some of us have some facial hair that need to be trimmed to.
A short section of white heat shrink tubing would hide the black wire.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:33 AM   #18

Texas
Quote:

Neat idea! My thought was the same....I can shave in the dark but if you are trying to trim a beard or mustach light is probably more useful. Out of curiosity, the pic looks like there is some sort of insert in the skylight. Am I seeing right of is it an illusion? I use a piece of 1/2" foam board in the summer in mine but looking for better ideas.
Burl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #19

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burl View Post
Neat idea! My thought was the same....I can shave in the dark but if you are trying to trim a beard or mustach light is probably more useful. Out of curiosity, the pic looks like there is some sort of insert in the skylight. Am I seeing right of is it an illusion? I use a piece of 1/2" foam board in the summer in mine but looking for better ideas.
The insert in the sky light is just a piece of that 1/4" poster board with a piece of aluminum wrapped bubble insulation above it. I normally only have it up there in the summer time to help control the heat. Your 1/2" foam board probably has the same R-Factor.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #20

Wyoming
So I installed my light this morning...

First off, I drove over to Camping World and picked up an identical fixture to what I already had. $18.00 I also had to to Lowes and pick up a 3 ¼" hole saw... which was another $18.

For the prep... I removed the dome from the new light fixture, and replaced the halogen bulb with an LED bulb to match the others in the bath. I then laid a bead of silicone sealant around the lip of fixture before replacing the dome to seal it from moisture.

First step was picking a spot, and cutting a hole in the ceiling:

Next, I pulled the existing puck light out of it's hole...

I then cut 2 strands of 14 gauge wire a little over 2' long... and fished them alive the ceiling between the holes:

I connected the wires to the new light fixture, and then piggybacked them on the the wires of the existing light. I then put both lights back into the ceiling, and I'm done.

Took me about 30 minutes total to do.... nothing complicated about it at all. The light matches the stock puck light fixtures, and should light up the shower nicely.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE