Extended warranty - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Nevada
Extended warranty

Have had my 14 voltage going on two years. Have had a few issues nothing catastrophic. Purchased a 5 year extended warranty and given my situation wondering if it's worth it. Just in process of changing one slide motor. So far enjoyed learning process and am not put off by working slide. Can't imagine in my case driving hundreds of miles to have someone do the work keep my unit for an extended time and still pay the deductible. Just thinking about cancelling remainder of policy and self insure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tap
2014 V3005 Voltage Toy Hauler
2012 Dodge Ram 2500. Firestone Bags. 1 ton+ leaf spring pack basically stock

Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerloco View Post
Have had my 14 voltage going on two years. Have had a few issues nothing catastrophic. Purchased a 5 year extended warranty and given my situation wondering if it's worth it. Just in process of changing one slide motor. So far enjoyed learning process and am not put off by working slide. Can't imagine in my case driving hundreds of miles to have someone do the work keep my unit for an extended time and still pay the deductible. Just thinking about cancelling remainder of policy and self insure.

I bought one extended warranty in my life, take my car in for servicing and of course everything that they wanted to repair wasn't covered. I told them to shove it and never went back.

I figured I was over $10K ahead of the game, but now that I think about it, must be over $20K by not by the extended warranty.

If they such a great deal like the dealers claim, you got to think how crappy their product is. It's rather amuzing when you have the salesperson tell you what a great product they have, "best this, that and the other thing". Then they get you into the upsales room and then it's well you really need the extended warranty.

They remind me of my grandsons drinking out of straws for the first time. You can't suck and blow at the same time.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

Nevada
Totally agree. Had a manufacturer warranty on a forest river toyhauler with a lippert frame which cracked on both sides within two years of purchase. Lippert said not forest River no coverage. Fixed it myself no more issues. The insurance industry is making money hand over fist mainly not paying claims. Rethinking all of my many instance expenditures.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

Tennessee
My salesman was shaking his head no the entire time he was asking us if we wanted one. It was both refreshing and hilarious.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:53 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
The insurance industry is making money hand over fist mainly not paying claims.

The dealer makes good money on them too. One of the largest warranty companies in Canada, is owned by one of the largest auto/RV dealers in Canada. I think he knows a good thing when he sees it.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:44 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Not extended warranty but similar. I was shopping for home owner's insurance the other day. The usual questions were asked about construction and so forth. When it came to the question pertaining to deadbolts on the doors I couldn't help myself when I asked what the hell good are deadbolts when I have seven windows in the house. Of course she didn't have an answer for that.

While with the agent I asked about RV insurance. She gave the quote and rattled off the coverage. She even threw in a campground injury clause. That's in case I happen to injure myself while parked somewhere. I mentioned to her that I have Medicare so why should I pay for extra coverage.

Insurance of any kind borders on consumer robbery. Life insurance companies aren't paying claims when they know the covered person is deceased. They are even taking premium payments of the deceased's account even knowing they are dead.

Insurance is big money, ours for the most part because the fine print includes finer print that spells out what they don't want to cover.

This little 1008 sqft house that I purchased last year for a mere 22k has a replacement cost, according to the insurance company, of 108k. That's a 100 bucks a square where the unskilled labor rate is 15 bucks per hour. I might as well stay permanently bent over for these people that are looking out for my own interest.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #7

Illinois
I'm split on the extended warranty. Kind of handy, but not like some of you guys. I did buy one when I bought my last Harley in 2005, only because I had the Stage 3 kit with the 103 put in and the six speed (both standard now but cost me almost six grand then. Glad I did, as two months after the original warranty, motor had to be rebuilt. More than paid for itself. Just bought it on the Voltage as well. May be a selling point if I decide on some other type of coach. As far as getting the repairs. I believe you can have a mobile mechanic do repairs on site, you just pay for the service call, which is probably worth it. Just my thoughts
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:01 AM   #8

Alberta
Quote:

I keep asking myself the same question, then I look in the catalogue at the dealer and start pricing out things that are not made by the manufacture, but sourced out and installed by factory, I have the double door stainless fridge. $2,000 to replace, upsized 10gal. dsi hotwater tank.....$750, scwinntek slides.....constantly failing motors, cummins onan 5500 genset...........$4000, the rubber roof...... god only knows!! The list goes on and on, and I don't want to replace these at anytime if they fail in the next 6 years. Insurance doesn't fix anything unless its in an accident or act of god.

My warranty was $4,000 extra, so if something big craters, its covered. If I don't use the warranty in 6 years, I get a 7th year free. That's 1 year manufactures, 5yr extended and no claims gets the next year free. I've already replaced a slide motor, slide seals, air conditioning ducting, plumbing connections, and drawer guides just to name a few items, these were in the first 2 months of ownership.
2012 Can-Am Commander XT 1000, 1998 golwing GL1500
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:09 AM   #9

Maryland
We have an extended warranty, mainly because we full time and don't always have the time to fix myself, nor the money laying around. We will give the warranty its first try in June, have to have our living room slide fixed and two jacks replaced (leaking).

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:45 AM   #10

Nevada
No judgement here. Yes I could have mobile repair. I do live in a rural area and getting someone takes time and then ordering parts blah blah blah. Most of the time I am able to fix things and it makes me feel good and when it's over it seems fun!!!

Old 05-01-2016, 05:12 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dmax360 View Post
I keep asking myself the same question, then I look in the catalogue at the dealer and start pricing out things that are not made by the manufacture,
Yes indeed, if you use a dealer as your parts source you will pay through the nose.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #12

Washington
FWIW my friend has a 2014 Voltage and has the GS warranty. He's had it in the shop twice for slide issues - one was $2700 repair bill and his $100 deductible was all that he paid out. I'm not a huge fan of the extended warranty but these slide issues convinced me to get one.

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #13

Arizona
I still am thinking on it. I looked at the good Sam one and if I do the deductible at $500 the service plan is less than 300 bucks a year which seems really cheap... Which makes me think you get what you pay for lol
2014 Sun Tracker Tri-Toon and happily retired!!!
1jeepdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:04 AM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeepdriver View Post
I still am thinking on it. I looked at the good Sam one and if I do the deductible at $500 the service plan is less than 300 bucks a year which seems really cheap... Which makes me think you get what you pay for lol
John and Donna,

You have to do what makes you comfortable. If you understand "Lawyerese", read the contracts and pick the best one to suit your needs.

You need to undertand what exactly what is and is not covered and how the deductible is calculated. Is it per service or per item. What if one failure causes a failure in another component.

It only took one time hearing "that part is not covered" and I understood how they played that game.

The warranty game has gotten so lucrative that you have retailers setting up their own scams, I mean plans. When you get to the check out, as items are scanned there is a popup on the cash register screen advising the cashier to sell the warranty. It is so rediculous that one retailer has all of their shaver parts and accessories included in the scam. Buy a new set of shaver heads, which are consumables and not covered by the manufacturers warranty. Buy the shaver heads and the cashier wants to know if you want to add a $20 warranty to a $15 part.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:37 AM   #15

Nevada
On my last Toyhauler (Fuzion) I got the Ex Warranty, I had so much trouble with that one, so I sold it and picked up the Voltage, When I went to cancel the warranty, they said I had to go thru the Dealer, after calling and writing, I got some of my money back after 6 months and a Cancel charge that went to the Dealer.....I do have the Good Sam Warranty now, but haven't used it yet....I would NOT buy a Warranty from a Dealer....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:22 AM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
On my last Toyhauler (Fuzion) I got the Ex Warranty, I had so much trouble with that one, so I sold it and picked up the Voltage, When I went to cancel the warranty, they said I had to go thru the Dealer, after calling and writing, I got some of my money back after 6 months and a Cancel charge that went to the Dealer.....I do have the Good Sam Warranty now, but haven't used it yet....I would NOT buy a Warranty from a Dealer....
I went ahead and got the GS with the 500 deductible. I guess it is better to have something than nothing so we will hope we never have to use it. We have been kind of spoiled by our old toy hauler. Had it for 6 years and only replaced the toilet because hubby wanted a taller one, the kitchen faucet due to it leaking and 6 tires every 2 to 3 years for maintenance. So we will pray for the best! Packing up for San Clemente State Beach in Calif for Mothers Day Week
Old 06-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #17

Colorado
Extended Warranty

I bought a used 2013 Voltage 3950 last year. The dealer wanted an additional $10 per month over the life of the payments (20 years) for a 3 year policy. NO THANKS! I bought the GS warranty for $300 with the $500 deductible just in case! I just had a $1800 repair bill on the bedroom slide which required total replacement of the mechanisms. So I'm ahead of the GS warranty co even though they tried to nickel and dime me on every piece including freight charges. I guess I won that round but wonder if it's worth renewing for another year. The repairing dealer, who doesn't honor the GS warranty, said he would renew just because there are so many TH issues.
Holiday RV south in South Fork Colorado did the repairs and did a great job!
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #18

Arizona
That's great news..... Not that you had issues but that it covered your problems
Old 06-02-2016, 03:54 AM   #19

Nevada
TomW, nice to hear, two things, one your repairs were covered, and that you found a good repair place
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:02 AM   #20

Maryland
Finally got ours back...extended warranty picked up $5400, I paid $100 deductible and $163 for freight shipment of a new pin box.

I had three level up jacks replaced, a FlexAir pin box installed (21k lbs), and the slide system replaced on the main slide...like new again.

We normally don't purchase extended warranties, but glad we did this time.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote