Done any mods to make your Genset quieter? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #1

British Columbia
Done any mods to make your Genset quieter?

I'm wondering if anybody has figured out anything to quiet down the generator....seems like it's mostly cooling air noise...but I am a bit surprised at how loud it is. Has anybody installed baffles or something below the genes under the trailer or anything like that?

Snowbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #2

Pennsylvania
Maybe something like this would work (link). Perhaps line the ceiling of the storage compartment where the generator compartment is. That way the floor of the bedroom would have the sound absorbed since it would be attached to the underside of the bedroom floor. Maybe line the exterior of the generator compartment too? Not sure if it would hold up to any heat on the interior of the compartment, maybe? Just some thoughts...

Amazon.com: Acoustic Foam - Acoustical Treatments / Studio Environment: Musical Instruments

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #3

Texas
Done any mods to make your Genset quieter?

I've used a less expensive knock off of the automotive sound proofing Dynamat to line the sheet metal generator box.

Be careful trying to baffle the cooling air flow below the generator. In the generator installation instructions you run a final test to check that there is a separation of the temperature between the cooling air flow intake and exhaust to make sure it is not cycling.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks HornedToad....stupid question, do you line the inside or outside of the box?
Old 03-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

Texas
I installed an Onan 5500 on a '12 Torque that was generator prepped. The inside of the box was easy to line before sliding in the generator.

I remember in the instructions for the sound dreading material, it did not matter if it was placed inside or outside and for vibration damping you did not have to have complete coverage i.e. If you could get a 6 inch strip down the back and side of the generator box that is not assessable it would still be effective.

I knew it was worth the trouble on the Torque because after the box was lined you could whack it with your knuckles and there was no vibration.

The generator on my Voltage is fairly quite so lining the outside of my generator box is towards the bottom of my To Do List.

Mike & Helen
Old 03-23-2016, 04:25 AM   #6

British Columbia
Mine is quiet inside the coach but it's pretty obnoxious outside....I think most of the noise is cooling air noise though...
Old 03-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #7

Texas
Before you attempt any mods to the cooling air noise on your Onan, listen to the story of the only time my Carbon Monoxide detector has ever gone off...

We were dry camping in a cow pasture at a music festival and they parked me on a steep slope. To get level I had to lower the front jacks down to within about 1 foot of the ground in tall grass. The bedroom CO detector went off about midnight and when I went out to check I noticed all the grass below the generator was browned out from the cooling air exhaust heat. I decided to raise the front jacks to allow for better circulation and after airing out the trailer the alarm ended and I didn't have any other issues the rest of the weekend.

Mike & Helen