Delamination - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Angry Delamination

So while puttering around the yard today I happened to notice what appeared to be delamination on the rear corner of the coach. It was smooth from the top of the side down to a spot where it was rippled. A quick look revealed what I believe is the cause. Dutchmen quality at its finest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	4225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	4226  

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #2

California
Since that is hidden, take on Dutchman. See what happens.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Since that is hidden, take on Dutchman. See what happens.
Not a bad idea.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #4

Nevada
I was going to say the same, since someone tried to cover it up
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #5

Quebec
This is very disapointing. Poor quality control to say the least. What year is your rig?

There is definitely some ting wong in the plant culture. Time for a quality improvement program before they loose all their customers.
HudsonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #6

Louisiana
The problem is... we keep buying the garbage the factories put out. So they have no incentive or motivation to change. Not to mention if they address their issues, the price of these homes on wheels will skyrocket and they will lose out in the end.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonFrog View Post
This is very disapointing. Poor quality control to say the least. What year is your rig?
It's a 2015.

I called Keystone and sent them the pictures. They want me to take it to the dealer to have it assessed for warranty coverage. I called the dealer and thankfully all I have to do is stop in so they can look at it, I don't have to leave it there since it shouldn't take long to figure it out.

Is this something that can be repaired?

Old 07-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #8

California
So any update on how your warranty claim is going? Hopefully they are fixing it for you.
Chipworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipworkz View Post
So any update on how your warranty claim is going? Hopefully they are fixing it for you.
Kind of like I figured it would. The dealer checked it out from the ground and stated they can't fix delam. A few days later Keystone asked me to provide pictures of every square inch of all sides and roof, then waited a couple days and sent me their denial form letter.

Meanwhile, the evening before getting the denial letter, I saw a post elsewhere from an owner with the same year, make, and model who had the same problem, same place. Theirs turned out to be a long term, major roof leak with significant damage. So, next day, back up onto the roof to check it out again only a little closer this time.

(Keep in mind, I check and touch-up-seal this thing in the spring and fall, been doing it this way on all my rigs for literally decades.)

The more detailed investigation again shows the factory installed lap sealant looks just fine, no cracks or indications of compromise, however, the right rear corner of the roof is rotted in about a 3" radius right at that corner. I can’t for the life of me tell where the water was getting in, so I covered the entire area with mass quantities of Dicor, and silicone schmutzd the vertical trim with mass quantities for now.

So here's the conundrum;

1. Just because the factory installed roof sealant looks good, no exposed seams, apparently that doesn’t mean it is adequate.
2. Therefore, are we as owners of new units supposed to reseal every joint on the roof just in case the builders screwed it up?

The data indicates item #2 to be the case.

The "negotiation" will resume Monday, I’m still in a fighting mood.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #10

Nevada
thompwil, since you said right Corner, if you have the 3rd A/C, since water travels, I would look to see if its leaking around the A/C and traveling to the corner? Others on here have found leaks around the A/C
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
I only have 2 A/Cs, I just have a crank open vent on the rear in the garage. I am a bit nervous about the A/Cs though after seeing the post where the seal was not installed.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #12

Maryland
I know I have some roof leakage in the back, I have found pin holes in the thin roof membrane. I also have a roof leak in my main slide roof where the membrane isn't wholly under the trim. I thought I had it fixed for the last year, then I felt damp floor again this past week, back to the drawing dosed on that.

Anyhow, I am planning on the Flexarmor (or whatever the lifetime roof is) roof in the next two years, however, when I do this, I am going to have all the decking pulled up and new AC ducting installed (may even vent the garage AC), with proper anchoring for the center AC unit.

By the time I get this thing fixed the way I want it, I have no reason to be a repeat customer to these clowns.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post

Anyhow, I am planning on the Flexarmor (or whatever the lifetime roof is) roof in the next two years, however, when I do this, I am going to have all the decking pulled up and new AC ducting installed (may even vent the garage AC), with proper anchoring for the center AC unit.

Cale
I've been looking into this too of late. Sent for some information from the Flexarmor folks. If I'm reading their site correctly, they pull off the A/C units and spray it on. The RV must be taken to one of their facilities. The other company (again, if I'm reading right) leaves the A/Cs in place and rolls it on at your location. That doesn't set well with me. Only other concern is if they spray/roll onto the original roof. If that roof isn't stuck down correctly, how will this stuff stay on?

I'm cringing at what the price will be after sinking so much $$ into this thing already. As soon as I think all the major problems are resolved, something else rears it's ugly head.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #14

Illinois
Flex Armor is 6 to 8 K according to the guys that have had it done, as well as a quick verbal estimate I got at the RV show.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #15

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
I've been looking into this too of late. Sent for some information from the Flexarmor folks. If I'm reading their site correctly, they pull off the A/C units and spray it on. The RV must be taken to one of their facilities. The other company (again, if I'm reading right) leaves the A/Cs in place and rolls it on at your location. That doesn't set well with me. Only other concern is if they spray/roll onto the original roof. If that roof isn't stuck down correctly, how will this stuff stay on?

I'm cringing at what the price will be after sinking so much $$ into this thing already. As soon as I think all the major problems are resolved, something else rears it's ugly head.
I visited FlexArmor's headquarters last spring (rvroof.com). I was very impressed with the product, and their attention to detail. They remove everything from the roof, including the AC units. As an example of the attention to detail, they spray over the edge and down into where the AC unit vents. This is done in case the seal under the AC should leak, the water goes into the RV, and you'll know it, as opposed to getting under the roof wood, and rotting the joints, before you discover the leak. If you have bad areas in the roof, they will pull up the membrane, and replace the wood as needed. Once the FlexArmor is sprayed on, they put the AC units back, and replace all the vent caps.

The coating remains flexible, so will not dry out and crack. In terms of technology, it's similar concept to a spray in bed liner (different material). The owner shared a story about getting a unit that had hit something, tearing off an AC unit. They just had to put new lag bolts in, and secure the new AC, no damage to the roof. Best I can figure, it's about $2,000 cheaper than a new membrane roof, requires little to no maintenance, and is guaranteed for life. I'm going to try to convince my local RV shop to become an authorized installer. Otherwise, when the time comes, I'll take it to Green Cove Springs, FL when we're in St Augustine, and stay with friends for the 3 days it takes.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #16

Alabama
Flex Armor quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Flex Armor is 6 to 8 K according to the guys that have had it done, as well as a quick verbal estimate I got at the RV show.
Rusty
I called the Company known as RV-Armor and they quoted me 4680 for a 36/38 foot roof. I think they are very reasonable. I'm thinking of having it done since the Toy Hauler is brand new. (2018 3605).
Schuffyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:51 AM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuffyman View Post
I called the Company known as RV-Armor and they quoted me 4680 for a 36/38 foot roof. I think they are very reasonable. I'm thinking of having it done since the Toy Hauler is brand new. (2018 3605).

Had a two inch cut in my membrane and insurance paid for entire new roof at $9,300...just saying... here is my lifetime spray on roof.. this is easily the BEST upgrade ever.. it can never leak EVER!.. do not trust the roll on where they remove nothing!, took the extra $ and had 3rd ac unit installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:02 AM   #18

Texas
Looks really nice.

All that for a 2 inch cut?

Why ya think they were so generous? I got my fingers crossed that I just get treated "decently" for my hurricane Harvey disaster.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:11 AM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Looks really nice.

All that for a 2 inch cut?

Why ya think they were so generous? I got my fingers crossed that I just get treated "decently" for my hurricane Harvey disaster.

Insurance company won't patch a RV roof..replace only and at 43' CW Wanted $9300 for membrane and spray roof total was much cheaper and took half the time of membrane roof and there is 0 caulk anywhere on this units roof.. it over laps into gutter rails and to clearance lights on the back, and about 11" on to front cap, and is a minimum of 3/8" thick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Well, Keystone finally came through for us, kinda. After seeing the roof damage in the right rear corner on another owner’s FB post, I learned that owner did the repairs themselves. They discovered the roof material did not cover the decking completely so the factory covered the bare wood with lap sealant. So I called Keystone again, explained my thoughts on the issue and was given the following instructions. Take it to a certified Keystone dealer for assessment, if it is determined to be a manufacturing problem we will cover the repair. I explained I didn’t want the folks at Camping World touching it so they sent me a list of Keystone dealers to ask. The first one on the list said bring it in. Next day I get a call and bingo, no roof membrane covering the edge and bare wood covered with lap sealant. Called Keystone and asked them how to proceed? They asked me to have the dealer send in a preauthorization request. After filibustering for another two weeks, Keystone then denied the repair stating I should have caught it sooner. So having had all we could take of that POS Voltage and Keystone, we went to the Hershey RV show and traded the truck and trailer for a 2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE class A motorhome. Problem solved, thanks Keystone. Anybody looking to buy a nice golf cart?