Defrost Freezer (half) - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #1

Maryland
Defrost Freezer (half)

We have the large Norcold fridge. The one side of the freezer we frequent quite often has quite a lot of ice (frost) built up in it. I do not want to shut the whole fridge down just to do the one small section of freezer...has anyone defrosted just a single side? I know, common sense tells me sure, go ahead, was not sure of any adverse problems if the unit tries to compensate for the one warm area.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #2

Alabama
I've got the large Norcold fridge as well, and have successfully defrosted both of my freezer sections. We full time, so turning off the fridge was not an option. I piled frozen foodstuffs into one side and left the other open. The ambient temperature allowed the ice to melt, and I simply wiped the water out with paper towels. Afterward, I closed the door, let that side get cold again overnight, then used the same process for the other freezer section. We keep the camper at around 72 degrees with our A/C units, and it took about 3 hours for all the built up ice to melt. I did learn on the first side to lay paper towels in the bottom of the freezer, and don't try to wipe down the backside of the freezer wall or the wet paper towel will freeze right to it!

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24
Moogal78 is offline   Reply With Quote