Combining Grey water tanks? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 06:00 AM   #1

British Columbia
Combining Grey water tanks?

Hi everybody.....we are the new owners of a 2012 3795 and as we work our way through getting used to this TH I was wondering if anybody has combined the plumbing on their grey water tanks to get more usage out of the rig dry camping?

I had a Raptor 3610 a few years ago but never had two grey tanks before....any ideas or advice out there?

Glad to be a member f this forum and look forward to contributing!

Snowbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbeard View Post
Hi everybody.....we are the new owners of a 2012 3795 and as we work our way through getting used to this TH I was wondering if anybody has combined the plumbing on their grey water tanks to get more usage out of the rig dry camping?

I had a Raptor 3610 a few years ago but never had two grey tanks before....any ideas or advice out there?

Welcome to the forum.

We only have one grey tank, but we manage the grey water usage by using the dish water (we use a dish pan to do the dishes) and an ice cream bucket in the bathroom sink, to flush the toilet.

It's much easier to conserve now that the grand kids don't want to hang old with the old geezers any more.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #3

Colorado
Check the size of your grey water tanks. Our 2015 Voltage 3800 has two, each 48 gallons. So we're good for between 5 and 6 days without dumping.

If you're dry camping out somewhere...I know some may argue...but I don't see a problem dumping grey water. Black, a definite No No. But grey? There are places like our home state of Colorado considering letting us separate grey and black from the house and use the grey to water the lawn.

Another thought, being an electric drain valve guy. You could put an electric valve on each, then plumb them together, but also be able to use them separately.

Just thoughts...

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbeard View Post

I understand that by connecting the two tanks together you are hoping to "Equalize" the tanks so to speak. The problem is that Water takes the path of least resistance and it will not work unless both tanks are at the exact same level, and then there's other hydrology weight factors that would need to be accounted for. Example; Let say your forward tank was 12" higher that your rear tank. The issue is as you dump water into the the forward tank, it will simply flow downstream into the lower tank until the lower talk fills to at least the base height of the front tank. HOWEVER... this will not be true of the rear tank. The rear tank will now fill up faster as its receiving water from the front until it equalizes out and then becomes full. Once it's full your done with the rear tank, and any water added via the drain will simply backup into your sink/shower etc. The height of your sink/shower and the amount of water in the drain pipe would need to cause a greater pressure than that in the lower tank to displace the weight of the water to flow uphill into the front tank. Make sense. ?

As ignorant as the manufactures are on a lot of things, dual tanks (if needed) is one they got right.
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks for the replies guys. We don't have a second bath on this rig , so it would just be nice to fill both grey tanks before having to go and dump. I agree with allowing the grey water to "disappear" when appropriate, but we are finding that when dry camping at state parks without hookups it isn't alway s appropriate that's all..... Pirate I think the electric valve option is the best and easiest....

Wouldn't these grey tanks be at the same level so they would equalize through the main drainage line wouldn't they? Anybody advice on that?
Old 03-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
You are going to have to check the piping between your tanks. I have seen where the gray tanks were on the same plane and the piping joined down by the main dump valve area. On my current unit the one runs down towards the main dump then the other tee's into it. If one tank is lower than the other you let them equalize until the lower one is full then close the valve on the upper and let it continue to fill up. Lots of scenarios depending on the actual configuration of you tanks, piping and valves.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #7

British Columbia
makes sense wahoonc....I think I will buy a twist on gate valve, and then try it out with both the grey tank valves open. I figure if we then use the water systems until both tanks show full on the indicators or grey water comes up in the kitchen sink.....
Old 03-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
My gray water always backed up in the shower/tub first. Sink sets up higher.

Aaron
Old 03-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
My gray water always backed up in the shower/tub first. Sink sets up higher.

Aaron
Never have to worry about the tank sensors being wrong.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

Alberta
ain't that the truth
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Never have to worry about the tank sensors being wrong.
I have gotten lucky on the last two units. I have had some where the sensors only worked when the tank overflowed. I got pretty good at gauging use BEFORE it backed up. Current camper has the crappy OEM sensors. Going to upgrade to See Level eventually. They are the best.

Aaron