Cleaning out black tank... need help. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

North Carolina
Cleaning out black tank... need help.

So my 3950 has two baths. When I hook the hose up to the main (front) control unit and use the "sani-flush", I can see the water come out the clear tube to drain the black tank.

When I hook up the hose to the rear "sani-flush", I get nothing. I can't see the water come out the clear tube, nothing...

Where the hell is the water going? I'm concerned because the last time I used the flushing system on a different trailer, the connector had come disconnected and I flooded the main bathroom.

I ask all this because I've drained both tanks repeatedly and one shows 3/4 full and the other 1/2 full. I can only assume that a piece of toilet paper has wrapped itself around the float sensor but other than that... I dunno. Do tanks become plugged easy?

Thanks,

Mark

orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Some have found the flush anti-siphon valve to be installed backwards. I don't know where you'll find it on your rig but mine is under the garage vanity.

It's common place to get a false reading after draining tanks. A day later the reading will go down but flushing is necessary if you want the empty light to come on.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #3

Tennessee
For cleaning tanks I've always used the Geo Method. Link below. Works great, providing your tanks are poperly installed.

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Old 07-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #4

California
YouTube video HOW TO: Dump & Clean an RV Black Tank
Old 07-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

Colorado
Mark,

I have found, through a good friend, the way to handle emptying the grey and black water tanks.

Its called a SewerSolution and now sold through Valterra.

It uses a clear plastic piece that connects to the 3" drain connections under the trailer. This piece has a hose connection for a water hose. This creates a "jet" that when pointed down, shreds everything. You can then turn it 90 degrees and rinse the piping back to the tanks.

I use a bronze four way splitter. One hose to the trailer city water connection, one to the sani-flush connection and one to the SewerSolution. The splitter has shut off valves for each connection. Thus I can rotate through and get the black water tanks very well flushed out.

I like the clear connector as I can see what I coming out. A little gross, but when I get clear water...I know the system is clean.

With this system I can hear the spinner and water in the black water tanks and see the water coming down the drain piping. As you note, nice to know where the water is going.

I also like the fact that when you get all done draining and using the Sewer Solution jet to rinse all the piping. Everything is clean and can be put away without worrying about "stuff" in the drain pipe stinking or draining into your storage location.

Here's a link to the Valterra site and the SewerSolution product:

SewerSolutionŽ Archives - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Some have found the flush anti-siphon valve to be installed backwards. I don't know where you'll find it on your rig but mine is under the garage vanity.

It's common place to get a false reading after draining tanks. A day later the reading will go down but flushing is necessary if you want the empty light to come on.
Thanks Sundancer, that is what was wrong with my rear tank. I took a look at the arrow was definitely going the wrong way…. at least I'll be able to hook a hose to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Mark,

I have found, through a good friend, the way to handle emptying the grey and black water tanks.

Its called a SewerSolution and now sold through Valterra.

It uses a clear plastic piece that connects to the 3" drain connections under the trailer. This piece has a hose connection for a water hose. This creates a "jet" that when pointed down, shreds everything. You can then turn it 90 degrees and rinse the piping back to the tanks.

I use a bronze four way splitter. One hose to the trailer city water connection, one to the sani-flush connection and one to the SewerSolution. The splitter has shut off valves for each connection. Thus I can rotate through and get the black water tanks very well flushed out.

I like the clear connector as I can see what I coming out. A little gross, but when I get clear water...I know the system is clean.

With this system I can hear the spinner and water in the black water tanks and see the water coming down the drain piping. As you note, nice to know where the water is going.

I also like the fact that when you get all done draining and using the Sewer Solution jet to rinse all the piping. Everything is clean and can be put away without worrying about "stuff" in the drain pipe stinking or draining into your storage location.

Here's a link to the Valterra site and the SewerSolution product:

SewerSolutionŽ Archives - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

Pirate

I use the clear extensions/elbows on my tanks now and have often wondered about the flushing adapter. Perhaps I need to look into a bit more.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
For cleaning tanks I've always used the Geo Method. Link below. Works great, providing your tanks are poperly installed.

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Thanks for the link… very helpful.

Mark
Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

Colorado
Mark,

The SewerSolution uses a 1" tube from the connector to the sewer disposal connection in the ground. Easy to drain, easy to store, and being clear with a green spiral strip...you can see when is has been rinsed clean.

Pirate
Old 07-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
I have a Sewer Solution that we use at the house to pump up hill to the clean out. Doesn't do me any good at the local state parks, they only have dump stations with limited access to a water supply. For those trips it is Stinky Slinky or nothing.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:26 AM   #9

Colorado
Aaron,

Bummer. I'm not sure if I'm lucky or not...but my wife, er BOSS, doesn't believe in dry camping. Its an RV park or else!!

So we do a lot of planning for trips. I'm amazed how many places we like to go off-roading require planning and reservations a year in advance.

Hmmm...but thinking about it...If I had to use a dump station, I would have some water in my freshwater tank, connect to the outside shower, an be able to use the SewerSolution. Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Pirate
Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Aaron,

Bummer. I'm not sure if I'm lucky or not...but my wife, er BOSS, doesn't believe in dry camping. Its an RV park or else!!

So we do a lot of planning for trips. I'm amazed how many places we like to go off-roading require planning and reservations a year in advance.

Hmmm...but thinking about it...If I had to use a dump station, I would have some water in my freshwater tank, connect to the outside shower, an be able to use the SewerSolution. Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Pirate
Might be able to do that, there is a thread over at AirForums where they have been discussing it. Have to see if I can find it and link to it. Seem to recall someone measured the amount of water needed to empty their tanks and it was in the 12-15 gallon range. I don't have an outside shower on my CM16FBS (might put that on the mod list ) other issue is I only have a 28 gallon fresh water tank. Also not sure how much water pressure you would need. I know my pump is weak compared to city water.

We don't camp without water and electric hookups... much (me and the dog don't care ) None of our state parks have sewer hookups that I am aware of, but many of them have the water and electric. Pretty decent deal at ~$25 a night. We spring for full hookups a couple of times a year either at the coast or in the mountains.

Aaron
Old 07-16-2014, 02:58 AM   #11

Colorado
Shouldn't take a lot of pressure to rinse the tanks. The SewerSolution is a nozzle, so it doesn't take a lot.

That's one of the reasons we got the new Voltage 160 gallons of fresh water capacity. There is one place, Marshall Pass, CO that we'll dry camp. But 10 miles before getting there is Salida, CO so we get water and gas for the toys there, instead of hauling it all the way there.

Pirate
Old 07-16-2014, 03:27 AM   #12

South Carolina
Wow, that's over 1200 lbs of water! Boggles my mind! Enjoy!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #13

Colorado
I cannot imagine filling the tank with 160 gallons of water at home and then driving even a 100 miles....talk about a gas mileage killer!!!

So we find someplace close to our destination to fill up!!

Pirate
Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I cannot imagine filling the tank with 160 gallons of water at home and then driving even a 100 miles....talk about a gas mileage killer!!!

Pirate
I won't even fill my 28 gallon all the way up. I will put about 8-10 gallons in it for potty use while traveling. I have a drain down line of some sort under the camper that I am thinking about hooking up a fitting to and use for the Sewer Solution. Next time we camp I will see if I can get a flow reading of how much water I use.

Aaron
Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:

Pirate
We drive at least every two or three weeks from NC to Tenn to ride. Most of the time we ride at Jellico and it's an empty field with a 200amp service. Other than that, there's nothing but weeds.

It's about a 5-6 hour drive (little more than 300 miles) We use to fill up our 160 gallon tank before we left home, add 50 gallons of fuel in the two tanks plus the rzr and other crap and we are carrying a load.

It wasn't until recently that I found a place about half way there that I can fill up our water tank.

Thank God, I hated carrying that extra weight.

Mark