Check your tanks when you can! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 12:00 AM   #1

Michigan
Check your tanks when you can!

2014 V3305: Some Dutchment moron during assembly, put two screws into the frame directly under the fresh water tank. Of course it took almost 2 years of a 1 year warranty for the weight of the tank going down the road a rub a hole in the tank where those screws were incorrectly located.
It took me 2 seasons to finally get around to repairing their shoddy workmanship and quality control because of a medical issue I had.

The first 3 pics show the hole and the 2 incorrectly installed screws...both on the driver side. The last 2 pics show properly installed screws and aluminum braces installed to secure the tank on passenger side.

If you're ever under there check yours out. I'm sure mine wasn't the only one done that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_185557.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	4924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_185546.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	4925   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_185541.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	4926   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_185512.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	4927   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_185516.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	4928  

cavnet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavnet58 View Post
2014 V3305: Some Dutchment moron during assembly, put two screws into the frame directly under the fresh water tank. Of course it took almost 2 years of a 1 year warranty for the weight of the tank going down the road a rub a hole in the tank where those screws were incorrectly located.
It took me 2 seasons to finally get around to repairing their shoddy workmanship and quality control because of a medical issue I had.

The first 3 pics show the hole and the 2 incorrectly installed screws...both on the driver side. The last 2 pics show properly installed screws and aluminum braces installed to secure the tank on passenger side.

If you're ever under there check yours out. I'm sure mine wasn't the only one done that way.

Being a newbie, that does not bode well for the future of our 2018 Kodiak...ughhh

Sorry about your issue. I wish I could check but our underbelly is sealed. Sooooo fingers crossed.

Good Luck and have fun!

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #3

Michigan
Thanks.
Yes, mine too was covered by a coroplast underbelly. I cut a 3 sided box with uncut side facing front of RV (to reduce possible wind issues catching it) to gain access. Once repaired, I'll use a few zip ties then seal with scrim shield repair tape (expensive tape, but worth it).

I'll post repair photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180819_135412.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	4931  
Old 08-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #4

Florida
Tape is on sale... I think I should get some. The other tape I have (EternaBond) requires pressure to make it adhere. They are going to work in the bottom of my RV next week so I should probably have some on hand in case ... added to toolbox!

https://www.rvautoparts.com/022-BP41...MaAkVIEALw_wcB
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Thanks.
Yes, mine too was covered by a coroplast underbelly. I cut a 3 sided box with uncut side facing front of RV (to reduce possible wind issues catching it) to gain access. Once repaired, I'll use a few zip ties then seal with scrim shield repair tape (expensive tape, but worth it).

I'll post repair photos.

Thanks for that update and info.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #6

Michigan
I hope that tape works out for you.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
I hope that tape works out for you.
me too, supposed to be made for it. Do you have another recommendation?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #8

Michigan
No, just the tape in my photo.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Being a newbie, that does not bode well for the future of our 2018 Kodiak...ughhh

Sorry about your issue. I wish I could check but our underbelly is sealed. Sooooo fingers crossed.

Good Luck and have fun!
Hello I have a 2017 Dutchman Kodiak 201QB and essentially the fresh water tank almost fell out, stopped by the axel. The factory blamed me saying I filled the tank too much. It was lousy workmanship. The flimsy tank supports, just like the previous pics show are not what the tank manufactures recommend and the fact the supports did not even fit tightly between the frame and they tried to let the screw body make up the difference, just plain lousy work. I actually pulled most of the coroplast back to inspect all tank supports, they were all equally as bad so I reinforced them all. I also found that the so called heated belly was not heated, the duct which is attached to the floor did not go through, it was on top of the grey water tank and could not work and the only way to tell is with the coroplast remove. I relocated it and replaced the coroplast. I would recommend you look at all tank supports and repair/reinforce as necessary. it is a lot of work though but you sure don't want trouble on a trip.
AETHERIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AETHERIA View Post
Hello I have a 2017 Dutchman Kodiak 201QB and essentially the fresh water tank almost fell out, stopped by the axel. The factory blamed me saying I filled the tank too much. .

WOW! That would be hilarious if not for the fact that they were just trying to get out of honoring a warranty.

How do you overfill a water tank? How do they expect you to know? By the worthless 4 lite indicator?

That is a big shame! I dread the time we need warranty work. And it may be coming

Good luck!.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:19 PM   #11

California
I would like to add be careful who does the work. I took mine to where I bought the unit in San Diego and the repair was worse than what I took it in for. Under warranty.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #12

Michigan
Yes, they definitely don't over engineer anything.

Here are my repair photos. I had to leave both screws in place as they hold the support pieces together. Instead after plastic welding the hole in the tank, I waterproofed 3' 1x2 stakes, cut to size and lined both water tank supports. The tanks now rest on the wood, away from those damn screw heads. I resealed the coroplast...all set.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180820_181857.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	4954   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180820_181908.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	4955  
Old 08-26-2018, 02:52 AM   #13

Washington
same problem on black and fresh tanks

We have a 2012 Voltage 3200 and I just found several screws from the floor of the basement area drilled into the tops of the fresh and black tanks. In our case it took 6 years to find the problem. It was the first time we boon docked so this was the first opportunity to fill the tanks to capacity. Once the black tank leaked out those small holes, the entire underbelly smelled like a diaper pale and the ugly smell slowly crawled in through the heater air return. All fixed now, had to remove some underbelly floor to get to the top of the tank where the screws dug themselves into the tank. I would say check thoroughly all systems when the RV is new including filling all tanks to capacity .
Old 08-26-2018, 03:43 AM   #14

California
I need to quit reading all these posts. ☹️
Old 08-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #15

Texas
Quote:
Yes, they definitely don't over engineer anything.

Here are my repair photos. I had to leave both screws in place as they hold the support pieces together. Instead after plastic welding the hole in the tank, I waterproofed 3' 1x2 stakes, cut to size and lined both water tank supports. The tanks now rest on the wood, away from those damn screw heads. I resealed the coroplast...all set.
Great job Ricky, how did you reseal the Choroplast?
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #16

Wisconsin
Creativeity Reqired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
WOW! That would be hilarious if not for the fact that they were just trying to get out of honoring a warranty.

How do you overfill a water tank? How do they expect you to know? By the worthless 4 lite indicator?
Some of the support desk operators are not as creative as others.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by AETHERIA View Post
I also found that the so called heated belly was not heated, the duct which is attached to the floor did not go through, it was on top of the grey water tank and could not work and the only way to tell is with the coroplast remove.
Our KD176RD18 Kodiak Cub had a non-functional belly heat duct. The hole through the floor was not cut through. The duct from the furnace to the floor was essentially decorative only.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #18

Florida
This is from the owner's manual for filling the fresh tank...

"Turn on the water supply and fill the
tank until water flows out the tank vent on the side
of the trailer."

"The tank is vented to allow proper and complete filling."

BUT

"Do NOT leave hose unattended during filling of potable
water. Turn water OFF immediately when tank is full.
Damage may result from either overfilling or leaving hose unattended. Rapid filling of the fresh water tank may cause inadequate venting or water to escape the tank when full. Excessive pressure in the tank may cause damage to the tank, floor and underbelly of the RV."

...they left themselves an out and an excuse to not honor a warranty with the tank. it's your word against theirs concerning that tank ... yeah you overfilled it, no I didn't. Technically, if you follow the instructions for filling the tank, when the water runs out, it's full or overfilled?
Old 08-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #19

California
Thank you for the update. I have a V3605 and they went screw crazy all over the undercarriage. They were to lazy to install the correct length. I've got screws that stick out an inch beyond the metal bracing. You might want to check your wheel wells for protruding screws.

dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote