Chasing the elusive leaking window - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Chasing the elusive leaking window

Of course windows only leak when it rains. Now that I'm in Oklahoma, where it seems to rain all the time compared to Arizona I have been chasing a window leak.

This one is in the bedroom slide, over the dresser. I did the simple thing first, tightened all the screws around the frame. Not any difference from doing that so at a later time I caulked around the upper portion of the window. That helped some but that action didn't solve the issue.
More rain and more water so I decided to pull the window and replace the paper thin OEM gasket with a healthy layer of buytl tape. That was a winner I thought, until more rain and more leakage.
I had been noticing water in the horizontal spreader bar in the window frame. I thought maybe the intrusion was coming from the where the two windows join and are held together with a rubber gasket. I sprayed the joint from the garden hose and didn't find any water in the spreader bar. That made me think that perhaps the water was trailing down the the side of the the glass and getting in somehow but I was positive I had made a good seal with the buytl tape.
Not yet ready to purchase a new window unit I started studying the window components. The fixed portion is adhered to the frame some how, maybe a buytl caulking such as used in auto windshields. That fixed portion of the window is above the spreader bar where the water had been collecting. One can't easily see anything but the edge of the window so I wasn't able to detect a problem.
I finally decided to clean the area around the fixed portion and the frame. I taped the edge of the frame tight to the slide wall and taped the edge of the glass.
Out came the Silicone, nothing to lose at this juncture of the chase so I slathered the Silicone in between the frame and the back of the glass.
It has been raining for two hours so far and as of 15 minutes ago not a single drop of water is sitting in the spreader bar.

Moral of the story, even if the fixed window is still stuck in place with all the goop, it can still leak.
EOS

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #2

Florida
I feel your pain. I have a bedroom window in my M/H that has only leaked twice in two years. Both times it was raining sideways and we were traveling at interstate speeds (reduced speed in rain of course) but I have never been able to duplicate the leak with a hose.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote