Cell phone boosters - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #1

Cell phone boosters

I am thinking about buying a cell phone booster. The RV boosters by Wilson or Uniden are offered but the signal distance boosted is poor. like 10 feet at most so told me by Wilson. If I buy a much more powerful in distance home unit it will broadcast 50 feet or so from the RV.. Great.. well not ...
It seems the two antennae must be a minimum of 20 feet apart. Has anyone tried this and how did u successfully run the coax to the antenna 20 feet away. I wanted to mount this booster in a bay of my voltage buy how would i get the coax to the front and to the top??? any suggestions or has anyone done this???

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #2

come on and help me out guys.. I know someone has tackled putting in a cell phone booster and figured out how to run the cable to the antenna at least 20 feet away..

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

Wyoming
I've thought about it... even asked about it in another thread I started back in June. But partly because of cost, the inability to install it myself, and the issues you mentioned, haven't done it yet.

In my research on these boosters... it seems part of my problem on selecting a product is that some boosters work better with certain carriers. Not being an electronics guru, I'm not sure how accurate that is. But I know I don't wanna spend close to $500 for a booster system, and another $150-$200 to have it installed... only to find out it doesn't work all that well with AT&T. Or, that it does... and 6 months from now, I'd like to switch to Verizon, and it doesn't play well with that.

Good luck, and I'll be watching to see how yours goes.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:55 PM   #4

Texas
I absolutely MUST have cellular bandwidth anywhere I choose to camp. I can do without hookups, but not LTE. I'm on-the-grid 24/7 for my job. No LTE, no camping.

Fortunately, the BIG 2 cellular providers have penetrated deeply into the most amazing places.

Instead of the "booster" discussed here, I first take note of if I get at least 1 bar with my cell. (I have various cellular devices)

If I get just 1 bar with a handheld, I know I can get 3-4 with a cellular hotspot. The hotspot even allows a large external antenna to be plugged into it if I'm on the edge of coverage.

Again, this doesn't address "voice" issues.

I use typically 40-60 gigs of data monthly. Here on top of this mountain I'm getting 12 megs per second. From what I hear, my fellow campers say "WiFi sucks here. No internet available"

I stay silent. Lol
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote