Broken main quad-stairs for cabin... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 04:53 AM   #1

Wyoming
Broken main quad-stairs for cabin...

I guess my rig is starting to show it's age... seems to be something new needing repair every month. The latest is my set of stairs for the front door.

Finished my setup after arriving at the RV park this afternoon... dropped the steps, swung the hand-rail out, opened the door, put my foot on the fIrst step to go inside... SMAP! Appears to be simple metal fatigue on the brace for the top left pivot on the left side as you face the door from outside. So close to the pivot, not sure it can just be welded back together.

It was hot, and I was tired, so I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it before it got dark. So before I go out there tomorrow to investigate it more thoroughly, just wondering if anyone has removed and/or installed a set of steps on a Voltage... and if so, how difficult is it? What all is involved? Simple bolt off, bolt on type of thing... or more involved?

In addition to my limited abilities as a result of my spinal surgery, here's my other dilemma: the good part is that they should be covered under my extended warranty. Even if they aren't (haven't checked yet), a replacement set is only about $350. Bad part is that, I know that they don't keep these things in stock for quick shipping, regardless whether I bring it to a shop or get a mobile tech to come out... and I don't plan on staying anywhere longer than 2 weeks for the extended future (until November).

So what I'm thinking about doing... if it's a relatively easy bolt-on operation... is swap the rear stairs (which I rarely use now without a motorcycle) with the broken main stairs until I can get a replacement set.

Any input appreciated... thanks in advance.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #2

Maryland
Check eTrailer for some steps. In 2015 during my cross country, the steps let go, actually cut my finger when they let loose. Long story short, ordered some from eTrailer and they were at my next stop. Less than $300 IIRC...I eventually replaced my rear steps because I liked the way they worked over factory.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

Maryland
Also, I had a three step in the back and four in the front...I now have four front and back.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Tennessee
I brace my steps with these. They make several different lengths. If you're handy you can bolt these to the step so you don't have to reinstall every time.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

New Jersey
Tom,

Looks like four bolts at the top, two each side. Rear steps are the same, so should be an easy swap. Hardest part will be lifting into place, got a rolling floor jack? I remember looking at aluminum replacements, there is also the MORRydes folding steps option, which a lot of the newer RVs come with. You may be able to get the broken ones repaired, one they are off the unit. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

Nevada
ATC guys, also check with Dutchmen, I remember there was a recall on the stairs, I think it was last year or the year before, repairs were NO Cost
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #7

Texas
Wish we'd have rendezvoud. I'd be happy to supply a second pair of hands.

Let's see, you were at Big Timber. You already moved on? You ARE a full time nomad!

I'm a bit envious.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:20 AM   #8

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
...Let's see, you were at Big Timber. You already moved on? You ARE a full time nomad...
Ha, yeah... Big Timber was just a stop-over until I could get into the place here in Polson. Like Yellowstone, not too many vacancies anywhere around Glacier Nat'l Park this time of year. This is where I was last September when I had my neck & spinal injury before I got to visit the park... and the owners were nice enough to shoehorn me in here for a 2 week window. It's kinda been a goal to get back here.

Cale & Paul...

Thanks for the info. I got out there this morning and looked things over. I should be able to remove the assembly easy enough (famous last words)... and of course, being Sunday, there was no one at Good Sam that could tell me if the steps would be covered under my extended service plan. The website info states that power-step systems are, but is silent on manuals. I'll follow up tomorrow.

Looked at the aluminum Torklift Glowstep, which a friend of mine has... a little more expensive, but appear to be easier to install (mount the assembly frame to the rig, then the steps to the frame). And, since they're made / sold in Washington, I can either get them before I leave here, or at my next stop... in Spokane, WA.

Also still working on getting my HappiJac repaired from last week. Seems to be a simple thing. I'm just not tall enough to be able to get the connecting shaft installed on both sides. I can get one side in, but then can't manipulate the smaller hex-shaft into the motor side. The 3-season door frame makes access hard from the ramp side, my limited mobility prevents me from getting to it from the bunk itself. Hopefully I'll get some local help while I'm here.

Fun, fun, fun...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote