Brand New Rubicon furnace not even wired up. - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #21

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Grab a Manufacturer and model # also. I've been on the Atwood site and they've got some OK diagrams.
Jeff, does your diagram show the red/black wires as direct power to the furnace?

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #22

Washington
Some of the models show exactly that while others don't have the blue wire. This is the link I'm reading. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf
If you knew the model it would help. But the more I look at it if it has remote sensing (a thermostat) it does have the blue wire.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #23

Michigan
I pulled out the fuse box and the wire coming from the fuse labeled heater is the green and white wire. I have that in the furnace cavity but it just loops in and then back out the wall. I have no idea where the end is. I am not very electrical savvy but would that be my power?
fittergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #24

Washington
I'm just watching Sundancer, your running this one. But fittergirl, manufacturer and model# please.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #25

Michigan
The furnace is an Atwood 7920ii and the t stat is advent air

Thanks everyone for all your help!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #26

Oklahoma
I saw the pic of the looped wire, it may be for the blower motor but at this point it's hard to tell.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #27

Washington
Try pulling gently on the green and white wires. It may be lose on one end. If so we're going to need to check the wires for voltage and continuity. Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?
Old 10-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #28

Michigan
I did try to pull out the wires hoping one end was loose with no luck. I don't have a voltmeter and have never used one before. The campground is full of tradespeople working the outage so I'm sure I can ask around and find someone.
The dealer is working on getting ahold of a diagram from Dutchmen. Hopefully have something Monday from them.
Good thing I have a decent electric heater with me. It's supposed to get down to 32* tonight then warm up to lows in the 40's for a bit.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #29

South Carolina
I am reading this thread like an adventure novel! Fittergirl, you're doing great, and keeping the guys posted with pertinent information. Guys, you are all chivalrous gentlemen and I trust you will figure this out. I'm glad she has an electric heater, and I know this is just a matter of getting the right wires in the right place. Shame on the dealer! Good luck to all of you and please post when you get this thing finished, so us bystanders will know! Thanks
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #30

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fittergirl View Post
I pulled out the fuse box and the wire coming from the fuse labeled heater is the green and white wire. I have that in the furnace cavity but it just loops in and then back out the wall. I have no idea where the end is. I am not very electrical savvy but would that be my power?
Just a guess, guys, don't take this for gospel. If the green/white pair are indeed carrying 12 volts, could it be that they passed the circuit "by" the furnace, and then on to the next 12volt need? So the furnace installer (who obviously failed that day) could cut open the green/white pair for connection to the furnace? The other wires, then would (somehow, I don't know exactly) go to the thermostat. That way the guy laying out the 12volt wiring would have laid the groundwork for the installer? Again, this is just a guess.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #31

Washington
At this point I'm afraid I'd need to get hands on and I think Sundancer would agree. I "think" the green and white looped wire is your power but without confirmation who knows. I don't have the exact trailer and am not even near mine at the moment. Let's hope the dealer will help. As I said at the beginning, Dutchmen QC is nonexistent. Let us know if you want to try again.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #32

Oklahoma
I'm at the end of ideas too without getting too exotic in diagnosis. Let's hope the dealer can get you some sort of diagram for your RV.

In the meantime I'll be thinking about this and we'll be here if any of your fellow workers may have a question.

MartyG is probably right on with the idea of the looped wire being the feeder wire to the furnance and parts unknown that was (I want to say overlooked), but the blind installers might take offense at them being accused of being sighted.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:10 AM   #33

Washington
Overlooked..... blind installers and you were being so good. Next time...
Old 10-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #34

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Overlooked..... blind installers and you were being so good. Next time...
I saw it too, but don't worry, the installers didn't see it!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #35

Oklahoma
WE were being good Jeff, we wanted to get her fixed up before the gloves came off.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #36

Washington
Yea, I kind of blew that right out of the blocks. Just don't believe we should spend this kind of money and have to fix them ourselves. Later.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #37

South Carolina
I have read this 20 times, and looked over the pictures that many times as well. Here's my analysis: The wire she shows are coming from the furnace, without connection to anything. They are looking for a 12V+ for both the thermostat, and from the vehicle. This should be connected to a 12V+ hot, and also to the input side of the thermostat. Here a wire nut connecting both green wires (coming in and going out) would be wired together with this red wire feeding the furnace, as well as the wire (unknown color, haven't found it yet) giving power to the thermostat. The one marked thermostat (blue) is the return path from the thermostat, which supplies power to the valve when heat is needed, i.e., when the contact is made. It should only be connected to the thermostat return wire. The third wire is simply 12V -, or ground. It only needs to be connected to the negative side of the 12V supply. I would guess the white, of the white/green pair (again, another wire nut, two white wires, coming in and going out, wired together with this black wire).
The $64 question then, is where are the "in" and "out" wires from the thermostat? It is, after all, just a switch, which according to this circuit, gets 12V+, and when the contact is made, sends it back to meet the blue wire. To date, she has not found, or identified, the wires coming to the furnace area from the thermostat. Presumably, some go elsewhere, like an AC circuit. If I were there, I'd hook up the wires as I've described, and get a $10 heat-only thermostat from Lowes or Ace. I'd wire 12V+ to the hot side, along with the red wire going into the furnace (i.e. green from body, red to furnace, and then also to thermostat. I'd wire the white from the body to the black wire on the furnace. Keep in mind, both green and white are feed-through, so when you cut them they have to stay together. Finally, the output of my cheapo thermostat would go to the blue wire. I'd set the thermostat on the counter or floor, and take it in when I could for a real fix. BEFORE I DID ANY OF THIS HOWEVER, I'd make sure the green/white "pass-through" pair is indeed a 12V+ and 12V-. I've assumed green is 12V+, and white is 12-. I am not sure of that, and you need a good voltage check to be sure. Beyond that, I'm pretty confident, looking at the model diagrams, and her pictures.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:11 AM   #38

South Carolina
I've done more searching on the Dutchmen Rubicon. The furnace is seldom mentioned. Sometimes not at all, sometimes under "equipment." When pictured, it is located under the fridge. Both inside pics and outside vents confirm this is where they put it. But the fact that some sites mention it, and some don't make it almost sound like an option, at least in some parts of the country, or in some models. That would make sense in the "pass-through-cut-me-if-you-need-me" power wires we are suspecting. Still no location of thermostat wiring. I believe the story sounds like this: "I promised her a furnace. Did you put one in?" "O yes sir, I put it in right where it is supposed to go!"
Old 10-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #39

Washington
Marty, I think you're definitely on the tight track. We were headed in that direction last night but needed that little bit of info we didn't have. It would be nice to find the thermostat signal wires, they have to be someplace. I'm wondering if they didn't get included with the wires upstairs to the A/C. The extra thermo is a good idea, didn't get that far. As for as the Dutchmen installer...... nice version... you're probably right.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #40

South Carolina
WARNING! I woke up this morning thinking about this! If the electrical wires are not hooked up, maybe we should not go on the assumption that the propane, and more importantly, the flue/vent is installed correctly. Fittergirl, that vent/flue is characterized by a rectangular, chrome plate on the outside, below the fridge vent, about 2"x4". In the center is a round vent hole, and the word HOT. If you're not confident the vent and propane connection is good, then DO NOT proceed with any wiring!