Bearing repack - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2020, 03:04 AM   #1

Arizona
Bearing repack

My Voltage is now 6 years old and I've only done the bearing re-pack once back in 2016. Now it's time to do it again. I've got 3 of the wheels apart and am happy to say the Chinese cheap-o bearings and races look great.

Had to get new inner seals, of course. BTW, I had to order the less expensive seals from e-trailer because all I could find in town was the expensive Timken seals at $30 each (times 6). Yikes!

There was still plenty of grease in the bearings and I haven't added any grease since the last re-pack 4 years ago. Suffice it to say, I'm real happy with what I'm seeing in my bearings.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:00 PM   #2

Texas
Congrats. Always pays dividends when you DIY! And you know its done right.

How many miles would you say in that time?

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:42 AM   #3

Arizona
No idea on the miles. A few coast-to-coast and a bunch of shorter trips.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #4

Alaska
I have 117,000 miles on my TV have never repacked bearings. My trailer has probably 70 k never repacked. Keep bearing at proper tightness and add a small amount of grease 2 to 3 times a year. Most of my miles are straight down the road. Avoid u turns at all costs and keep air pressure up to snuff
Wbgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:57 AM   #5

Illinois
Technically, properly packed and well sealed bearings should last as long as the brakes without adding more grease. If you think back to when cars had these kind of bearings, they only got repacked during a brake job. The spindles with the ez lube are really meant for trailers that get submerged in water, like boat trailers, the grease forces out the water.

However, it is never a bad idea to pull the drums/hubs off every other year or so just to make sure the seals are intact and not spewing grease into the brake drum. This is especially important with EZ-Lube spindles since they can force grease past the seal if the grease is injected under too much pressure. Had that happen on one of the drums on my Coleman, three were in great shape, and of course the very last one was the one with a blown seal.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
Don't forget that the seals are the most important part as they keep the grease in and the krap out...also don't forget to adjust the brakes on a regular basis....

23satd5 is offline   Reply With Quote