BBQ Propane Quick Disconnect Mod?? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

Nevada
BBQ Propane Quick Disconnect Mod??

Howdy all,

Anybody have a propane quick disconnect added for the use of a portable grill? How did you make the set up? I've been searching and can't find anything on it. What kind of set ups do we have out there?

Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
Howdy all,

Anybody have a propane quick disconnect added for the use of a portable grill? How did you make the set up? I've been searching and can't find anything on it. What kind of set ups do we have out there?
I don't have one on our camper, but I installed one for natural gas in a house.

If I was looking to install one I would check a propane or BBQ store, they should have everything You need to do the job. If it's not something you are comfortable doing yourself, they could do it for you.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:06 AM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
Howdy all,

There are numerous posts about it this thread. http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...-mods-666.html
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:58 AM   #4

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMac View Post
There are numerous posts about it this thread. http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...-mods-666.html
I thought they're might be, but the search function within that thread never....ever...ever works for me. So I wasn't sure since nothing comes up in the regular search.
Race Bikes
Old 02-14-2016, 04:59 AM   #5

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I don't have one on our camper, but I installed one for natural gas in a house.

If I was looking to install one I would check a propane or BBQ store, they should have everything You need to do the job. If it's not something you are comfortable doing yourself, they could do it for you.
I'd do it, looks easy, but want to make sure...so I don't blow up.
Race Bikes
Old 02-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #6

Nevada
I ended up finding this thread and had all I needed:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...nect-1321.html
Race Bikes
Old 02-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Illinois
Don't have a quick disconnect but I just put a T on the tank and have a 12' hose I leave attached to the tank. Just screws on to my Weber Q 1000.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #8

Michigan
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ods-page2.html

593]Howdy all,

Anybody have a propane quick disconnect added for the use of a portable grill? How did you make the set up? I've been searching and can't find anything on it. What kind of set ups do we have out there?[/QUOTE]

Hope this helps.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
I didn’t see a shut off valve in any of the pictures in the threads. I’d recommend installing one right before the quick connect, and keep it closed while traveling. The check valves in those quick connect fittings can fail and that could be a problem if it were leaking while you were traveling. Again, just my two cents worth…

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
I didn’t see a shut off valve in any of the pictures in the threads. I’d recommend installing one right before the quick connect, and keep it closed while traveling. The check valves in those quick connect fittings can fail and that could be a problem if it were leaking while you were traveling. Again, just my two cents worth…
Not a bad suggestion!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #11

Arizona
You have to check if you BBQ uses high pressure or low pressure. I put my first quick connect on the low pressure side. My BBQ has it's own low pressure regulator. It didn't work the first time.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #12

Michigan
I removed my regulator from the grill and installed an adjustable regulator on the hose. Range of adjustment is great. I can low smoke cheese or sear a 2" thick steak
Old 02-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #13

Idaho
Quote:
It's a great idea to put a valve inline, in fact I have kicked around putting one on each appliance. As far as residential quick disconnects for bbq's go most, if not all, have a check valve so when disconnected they don't leak. Like I said that is residential stuff I cant say that the rv stuff is the same. Good luck........remember some dish soap and water in a spray bottle to check ALL joints for leaks.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:06 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
The check valve in the quick disconnect is the weak link in the system. Check valves on quick disconnects can and do fail. I've seen many of them fail in industrial applications, not to mention on my home compressed air system. I would never consider trusting that device as a shut off for combustible gas. I guess I'm just not that trusting having seen them fail.

Edit: This is a pretty nice gadget, or something similar would allow me to feel secure with it.
Camco Propane Quick-Connect Kit - Walmart.com

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:33 AM   #15

Idaho
Quote:
The check valve in the quick disconnect is the weak link in the system. Check valves on quick disconnects can and do fail. I've seen many of them fail in industrial applications, not to mention on my home compressed air system. I would never consider trusting that device as a shut off for combustible gas. I guess I'm just not that trusting having seen them fail.

Edit: This is a pretty nice gadget, or something similar would allow me to feel secure with it.
Camco Propane Quick-Connect Kit - Walmart.com
Safe over sorry cant loose.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #16

Michigan
There is also a device that I installed inline for my outdoor residential grill when I piped it into the house gas supply system that may be worth looking into for our campers. It looks like an ordinary fitting but it protects you against a broken hose should your grill get knocked over or carried away by heavy wind. If it detects a high gas flow rate, the internals slam shut. I will have to try to locate the info and post it later as I am not seeing it right now. There are also emergency automatic shutoff valves activated by heat as well.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
Safe over sorry cant loose.
The one I have has a lever on it that shuts off the gas, and this one (Camco one) also has that lever.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #18

New Jersey
I've had a bit of experience with those "flow limiting" valves as well..
I have a big burner that came with a turkey fryer kit. To keep from activating the flow limiting safety feature, I have to shut off the valve to the burner before I turn open the valve on the propane tank.. If I don't do that the sudden flow going to the burner actuates the flow limiting feature. The valves are supposed to reset to allow normal flow, but as they get older they get stuck in limiting mode. That means you only get a slight trickle of propane to your appliance.

To reset the valve you need to:
1) connect your appliance to the propane tank with the appliance valve closed.
2) open the propane tank valve for a moment and then close it. This pressurizes the hose.
3) unscrew the connection to the propane tank to release the pressure in the hose.

The reverse flow of gas from the hose back toward the tank connector resets the valve flow limiting feature...

Ain't technology great ???

All the best.
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstime RVer View Post
I've had a bit of experience with those "flow limiting" valves as well..
I have a big burner that came with a turkey fryer kit. To keep from activating the flow limiting safety feature, I have to shut off the valve to the burner before I turn open the valve on the propane tank.. If I don't do that the sudden flow going to the burner actuates the flow limiting feature. The valves are supposed to reset to allow normal flow, but as they get older they get stuck in limiting mode.

I had one of them suckers and it became such a PITA that I got rid of it. The damn thing would get silly and shut the burner off 2-3 times when I'm frying a turkey.

Ain't technology great ???
Only until it fails and you cut into a raw turkey.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #20

New Jersey
I wouldn't feel comfortable without a positive shut-off valve on a gas line.. All quick disconnects will eventually leak, and at the most inopportune time, according to Murphy the legislator.

As a minimum you could end up with empty propane tanks, and in the worst case a fireball!!!!!

Many years ago, before I knew any better, I wanted to empty a mostly empty 20 lb propane tank because the packing on the valve stem leaked, I opened the valve and set it out in the middle of our yard upside down (about 200 feet from the house). There was a slight breeze blowing. I noticed a mist where the propane flowed along the ground almost reaching the house.. in a panic, I ran to it and shut the valve off and took it to a propane refill station and left it with them. They said that they could safely empty the tank, and then proceeded to tell me how dumb/lucky I was!! Propane is very dense and with even a slight leak can accumulate in low spots, dissipating very slowly.. extremely dangerous.

Having said all that It still ticks me off that they don't have some way to manually reset those darn flow limiting device thingies !!!
Be safe and All the best.

Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote