Battery Replacement - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #1

Arizona
Battery Replacement

2015 Voltage 3200

So....2 months into ownership, the battery is dead, won't hold a charge. I don't have time to mess with the 4 - 6vbattery upgrade, so I just want to replace it and deal with it next time around.

What is the best type of battery to replace the factory one with?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #2

Oklahoma
I would get a true deep cycle battery. Not a combo marine/starting battery. Deep cycle batteries are not rated by CCAs or MCCAs so if a battery has a label with those ratings it isn't a true deep cycle battery regardless what the sticker says.

You'll probably need to go to a real battery store for a deep cycle. They will show you different deep cycles with various storage capacities of amphours, not CCAs.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #3

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I would get a true deep cycle battery. Not a combo marine/starting battery. Deep cycle batteries are not rated by CCAs or MCCAs so if a battery has a label with those ratings it isn't a true deep cycle battery regardless what the sticker says.

You'll probably need to go to a real battery store for a deep cycle. They will show you different deep cycles with various storage capacities of amphours, not CCAs.
Makes sense! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. A quick Google about deep cycle, lead me to this article. I'll post it in case someone finds it interesting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
House RV Battery

The best house RV batteries are a different breed altogether. Starting batteries are designed to provide a huge amount of power (amps) in a short burst (a few seconds) to get an engine going, but house RV batteries are designed to provide a much smaller amount of amps but over a long period of time, hours instead of seconds. Furthermore, the house RV battery is often heavily discharged before being fully recharged again, what is known a “deep cycling”.

A RV battery designed for lower power and deep cycling will last longer and perform better than an engine starting battery. The best deep cycle batteries will last three to four times longer than a starting RV battery under the same conditions. Deep cycle battery capacity is measured in AH (Amp-Hours), meaning the total number of amps of power it can deliver over a 20 hour period. An alternative measurement is called RC (Reserve Capacity), which is the number of minutes the battery can sustain a 25 amp load. You don’t have to understand the method of measuring to know that “more is better”, so a battery with a larger AH or RC rating is better (more capacity) than a smaller one. Unfortunately, there is no meaningful way to compare AH and RC values, so make sure you compare apples to apples.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #4

California
Just put in 2 6V golf cart batteries. It's a quick & easy fix.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #5

Arizona
I had 4 6 volt golf cart batteries in my small slide in truck camper. They were a nightmare. Always needing water, gassing and making a black mess. I re-built my battery compartments and replaced the 4 six volts with 2 125 ah 12 volt agm batteries. They ROCK. They cost a lot more but are so well worth the cost. They charge quicker, stay charged longer, never need water, don't get hot and have an expected life of 10 year. And you can mount them where ever you want.

I do have a bunch of solar on both my truck camper and my Voltage. The Voltage still has the 6 volt interstates and they are doing OK. When they go out they will be replace with the agm batteries.

Below is a link to Amazon. Free shipping and no tax when I bought mine several months ago. If you go to the manufactures website you will see a large variety of sizes available.

Good Luck
Arlan

Amazon.com: Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle 12v 125ah SLA rechargeable Battery for Use with Pv Solar Panels,Smart chargers wind Turbine and Inverters: Electronics
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #6

Tennessee
I agree, AGM's are the only way to go. Used them for years. Trouble free... in the long run, they're worth every penny. My opinion ... opinions may vary of course
Old 08-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
125 ah 12 volt agm batteries. They ROCK.
AGM batteries are awesome. Three years ago on a trip, not with a camper, one of the truck batteries died. With a diesel two batteries are pretty much a given. Replaced both batteries with AGM's and have never looked back. When we got the camper, the single battery was soon replaced with 2 AGM's. No maintenance, they can be laid on their side or upside down, bouncing and jouncing has no affect on them. Yes, they DO cost more, but worth every penny IMHO.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #8

Arizona
Thanks!!! I will see what site fits the 3200 and order AGM!
Old 08-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
I had 4 6 volt golf cart batteries in my small slide in truck camper. They were a nightmare. Always needing water, gassing and making a black mess. I re-built my battery compartments and replaced the 4 six volts with 2 125 ah 12 volt agm batteries. They ROCK. They cost a lot more but are so well worth the cost. They charge quicker, stay charged longer, never need water, don't get hot and have an expected life of 10 year. And you can mount them where ever you want.

I do have a bunch of solar on both my truck camper and my Voltage. The Voltage still has the 6 volt interstates and they are doing OK. When they go out they will be replace with the agm batteries.

Below is a link to Amazon. Free shipping and no tax when I bought mine several months ago. If you go to the manufactures website you will see a large variety of sizes available.

Good Luck
Arlan

Amazon.com: Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle 12v 125ah SLA rechargeable Battery for Use with Pv Solar Panels,Smart chargers wind Turbine and Inverters: Electronics

Thanks for sharing about AGM vs 6v ones.
Did you fit 2 in the factory vented compartment, or what did you do?
Old 08-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #10

Nevada
The dealer installed two batteries in mine, but they didn't last long. One was a bad ass Deka deep cycle and the other was a no name brand. I couldn't fathom why they did that, but different manufactures batteries don't mix. I added a third battery for generator starting only, and installed AMP L START trickle charger for it that runs off the house batteries. I personally don't require a whole lot from the house batteries, so I replaced the pair with deep cycles from Sam's Club (Duracell?), they're still doing ok and didn't brake the bank.
Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmons View Post
Thanks for sharing about AGM vs 6v ones.
Did you fit 2 in the factory vented compartment, or what did you do?
My Voltage still has a vented 4 battery compartment. It still has the 6 Volt Interstate batteries.

The camper I have with the AGM batteries is a different story altogether. I built and non vented compartment in the bottom of one of my rear closets for one AGM battery. The second AGM is located in an abandoned generator compartment.

So if you should decide to go with the AGM batteries you don't need a vented compartment. Just a way to keep them from moving when you travel. And don't set your BBQ on top of them.

When the 6 Volts in the Toy-hauler start to fade I will be forced to decide what route to take. I haven't checked but the Vmax AGM batteries my also come in 6 Volt and if the dimensions are exact I will likely use my existing battery box as it is a very nice box.

If your battery is in a single vented box in your generator compartment you should have room for (and I'm just guessing) 4 or perhaps 6 batteries beside your generator. Just plan for expansion in the future. And a note. Solar is getting really inexpensive these days.

I just re-read your original post. You just want to replace the dead one. Measure it and put an AGM in the existing box. Later if you want you can expand.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
My Voltage still has a vented 4 battery compartment. It still has the 6 Volt Interstate batteries.

The camper I have with the AGM batteries is a different story altogether. I built and non vented compartment in the bottom of one of my rear closets for one AGM battery. The second AGM is located in an abandoned generator compartment.

So if you should decide to go with the AGM batteries you don't need a vented compartment. Just a way to keep them from moving when you travel. And don't set your BBQ on top of them.

When the 6 Volts in the Toy-hauler start to fade I will be forced to decide what route to take. I haven't checked but the Vmax AGM batteries my also come in 6 Volt and if the dimensions are exact I will likely use my existing battery box as it is a very nice box.

If your battery is in a single vented box in your generator compartment you should have room for (and I'm just guessing) 4 or perhaps 6 batteries beside your generator. Just plan for expansion in the future. And a note. Solar is getting really inexpensive these days.

I just re-read your original post. You just want to replace the dead one. Measure it and put an AGM in the existing box. Later if you want you can expand.

Great post! Good to know that AGM don't have to be vented, so I may just get two and secure them and build a wood shelf so I can put things above them (like cables).

What type of solar charger are you using?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Great post! Good to know that AGM don't have to be vented, so I may just get two and secure them and build a wood shelf so I can put things above them (like cables).

What type of solar charger are you using?
As far as the solar regulator I am using this Amazon.com: Go Power! GP-PWM-30 30 Amp Solar Regulator: Automotive. On my slide in camper. I have a mix of different panels on the camper. Total is about 20 amps max.

In the Voltage I have a Blue Sky Solar Boost with Digital Control Panel. I like my inexpensive Go Power controller better.

The last panels I bought were 7.35 amp and I paid $300 each out the door.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
As far as the solar regulator I am using this Amazon.com: Go Power! GP-PWM-30 30 Amp Solar Regulator: Automotive. On my slide in camper. I have a mix of different panels on the camper. Total is about 20 amps max.

In the Voltage I have a Blue Sky Solar Boost with Digital Control Panel. I like my inexpensive Go Power controller better.

The last panels I bought were 7.35 amp and I paid $300 each out the door.
Thanks for sharing and sorry for all the n-b questions.

Why do you like the GP over the Blue Sky?
For solar panels, can you point me in the right direction? (This stuff overwhelms me because I don't know enough about it.)
Old 08-09-2014, 02:41 AM   #15

Colorado
You know, the AGM batteries are nice. But an Optima gel battery is the very best. You can go yellow top or blue top for deep cycle.

Optima guarantees you can install it, leave it for a year, and it will still have 98% of charge. I have them in my heavy equipment, don't need a lot of cranking amps...but the excavator sometimes sits for months. Since I put in a blue top Optima. Starts every time!

Just a thought,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:15 AM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
You know, the AGM batteries are nice. But an Optima gel battery is the very best. You can go yellow top or blue top for deep cycle.

Optima guarantees you can install it, leave it for a year, and it will still have 98% of charge. I have them in my heavy equipment, don't need a lot of cranking amps...but the excavator sometimes sits for months. Since I put in a blue top Optima. Starts every time!

Just a thought,

Pirate
We are talking apples and oranges here, Pirate.

Love the Optima Yellow tops for a starting battery. I have two in my Dodge with the Camper. The Camper itself though has it's own 12 volt reserve AGM setup, with solar on board to keep it all topped off to the max.

I have both Yellow Tops and AGM's in the same vehicle. Yellow Tops in the tow vehicle, AGM's in the living quarters.

My Voltage is another story. When l I need to replace my starting batteries. It will most likely be with Yellow Tops. When I need to replace my house batteries, it will be AGM.

Arlan
Old 08-09-2014, 04:47 AM   #17

Arizona
Quote:
Thanks for sharing and sorry for all the n-b questions.

Why do you like the GP over the Blue Sky?
For solar panels, can you point me in the right direction? (This stuff overwhelms me because I don't know enough about it.)
The Go Power is simple, easy to install and is 1/4th the cost. Did I mention simple and easy? It does the same job with much less effort on the user and installers end.

I have a mix of solar panels on my Slide-in. Six panels total with 2 AGM batteries. So, the solar adds up to about 20 amps and the 2 AGM batteries are 125 AH each. My Go Power controller is 30 Amp Max and EASY to understand and it is set up perfect, right out of the box.

As far as pointing you toward solar panels. That's a tough one as there are so many choices out there. I think these days they are pretty much all good for 25 years. Three of the six I have on my camper were installed in the year 2000 and are still working. Install the biggest you can afford and can fit on your roof with room to add on in the future. Get panels that have a junction box. If you can find them. The non junction box panels are the most common these day. They work just fine, but you have to have them in a line (daisy chained together) . In other words you can't do like I did on my camper and have them mismatched and located in a bunch of different locations. I don't know if that made any sense but solar is really quite simple.

You can't have to many panels for your battery bank. The regulator will just trickle down and maintain. If we are talking about just maintaining one trailer battery for generator staring and some lighting, then one panel would be fine.

I have on my Voltage 4 solar panels (30 AMPS) and 4 six volt batteries. This runs my lights (LED is a must) my Televisions, and DVR Satellite Box. A couple of Mac Laptops and other "stuff" through a 2000 amp inverter.

My camper has 6 panels of different make and sizes (20 AMPS worth). 2 AGM batteries = 250 AH's. I use the batteries for lights, computer, TV and Satillte. Plus charging other small devices. If I have my vehicle positioned correctly (solar wise). I am charged up before I get out of bed. I am old and lazy!

I can post some photos later if anyone is interested.

Sleepy time now.

Arlan
Old 08-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #18

Arizona
Quote:
The Go Power is simple, easy to install and is 1/4th the cost. Did I mention simple and easy? It does the same job with much less effort on the user and installers end.

I have a mix of solar panels on my Slide-in. Six panels total with 2 AGM batteries. So, the solar adds up to about 20 amps and the 2 AGM batteries are 125 AH each. My Go Power controller is 30 Amp Max and EASY to understand and it is set up perfect, right out of the box.

As far as pointing you toward solar panels. That's a tough one as there are so many choices out there. I think these days they are pretty much all good for 25 years. Three of the six I have on my camper were installed in the year 2000 and are still working. Install the biggest you can afford and can fit on your roof with room to add on in the future. Get panels that have a junction box. If you can find them. The non junction box panels are the most common these day. They work just fine, but you have to have them in a line (daisy chained together) . In other words you can't do like I did on my camper and have them mismatched and located in a bunch of different locations. I don't know if that made any sense but solar is really quite simple.

You can't have to many panels for your battery bank. The regulator will just trickle down and maintain. If we are talking about just maintaining one trailer battery for generator staring and some lighting, then one panel would be fine.

I have on my Voltage 4 solar panels (30 AMPS) and 4 six volt batteries. This runs my lights (LED is a must) my Televisions, and DVR Satellite Box. A couple of Mac Laptops and other "stuff" through a 2000 amp inverter.

My camper has 6 panels of different make and sizes (20 AMPS worth). 2 AGM batteries = 250 AH's. I use the batteries for lights, computer, TV and Satillte. Plus charging other small devices. If I have my vehicle positioned correctly (solar wise). I am charged up before I get out of bed. I am old and lazy!

Sleepy time now.

Arlan
Arlan, seriously good post. Thanks for taking time to explain it to me. I would love some pictures. I went ahead and ordered 2 AGM's, and I like the idea of your set up. What make/brand of inverter do you have?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #19

Tennessee
Quote:

Sleepy time now.

Arlan
I would like to see the pictures if not too much trouble.... this is something I may consider.
Thanks
Old 08-10-2014, 12:49 AM   #20

Arizona
Quote:
Arlan, seriously good post. Thanks for taking time to explain it to me. I would love some pictures. I went ahead and ordered 2 AGM's, and I like the idea of your set up. What make/brand of inverter do you have?
Any pictures of my Voltage will mostly just show solar panels on the roof, the location on the controller and the inverter. I can't give much detail on the installation though. I can give some but not much. My inverter is a Xantrex Amazon.com : Xantrex Freedom 458 12-volt 2000 Watt Inverter / Charger Single Input-single Output (81-2010-12) : Vehicle Power Inverters : Car Electronics with the Xantrex System Control Panel Amazon.com: Xantrex System Control Panel - 809-0921: Car Electronics. The solar contoller is Blue Sky Solar Boost with display. Again, the Go Power is much less complicated. Everything in the Voltage was installed by the dealership. They did a great job. I really don't know how that entire system was installed. When removed from shore power and the inverter is on, I have power to all non GFI plugs.

The solar and inverter on camper I have been talking about was done by me. But it's a whole different ball game there. I put the panels on the roof, ran wire to the controller. From the controller the wires go out to the batteries. Then I used three small inverters in two different locations. One for my TV and Satellite. The other two are in the dinette area for computer use and charging other devices.

I could get some photos of the camper install but it would not be of much help in the Voltage application.

I see you are in Phoenix. I am in Quartzsite and in the winter time there is a great solar company that has been around for here years. Solar Bill's is the place. Getting the solar run to your batteries would be pretty straight forward. Installing an inverter/charger is beyond me.

If you have not yet done so. One of the best things you can do to conserve battery power is to change all of you light bulbs to LED.

I'll get a few pictures anyway. Don't know how much they will help.

Guess I got off on a tangent here as the original post was about What Battery do I want.