Auto switching LP regulator - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #1

British Columbia
Auto switching LP regulator

How does this work? My first tank went empty, so I went out and turned on the full 2nd tanks on the drivers side. I still had no gas! I had to switch the tanks from one side to the other for it to work.

Larry710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

South Carolina
The way it is SUPPOSED to work as I understand, is this: Both tank valves should be on. The lever points to the tank you want it to draw from first. When that tank is exhausted, a red marker shows up in the glass window to tell you that you are now drawing from the opposite side. At this point you can move the lever to point to the tank in use. Doing that will clear the red marker. Then you can close the valve on the first (now empty) tank, disconnect and refill/replace it. When you do, the system will continue as is, and flip back over to the first tank, if it is now on, pressurized, and valve open.
In your situation, with only one tank open, the auto-shuttle could not work. It seems like it should have flipped with the handle when you switched sides. Might need some repair.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #3

Oklahoma
I shouldn't make much of a difference if the driver's tank was off. It would be the same as if the tank had just been replaced and turned on. The pressure from either tank will balance the regulator if it is working correctly.
My experience (from two), regulators is that if the single stage regulator is working, that's the regulator on the driver's tank, and the dual stage regulator doesn't switch over automatically and show the green flag it's time for a new regulator. No repairs can be made to them these days unless it's a high dollar job.

I had two dual stage regulators puke up on me so I'm just using the single stage regulator and replacing tanks when the passenger side tank gets empty.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote