atwood hot water heater - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2017, 12:46 AM   #1

Maryland
atwood hot water heater

Open the 3605 getting ready for the summer, Filled the hot water heater and fired right up let it run 15 mins no hot water ? not sure what do from here it's a Atwood
thx Bill

bill_covert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_covert View Post
Open the 3605 getting ready for the summer, Filled the hot water heater and fired right up let it run 15 mins no hot water ? not sure what do from here it's a Atwood
thx Bill
It may be in winterization mode still. Check those valves.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:28 AM   #3

South Carolina
Agree the valves are probably wrong. Wondering how you filled it?
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Agree the valves are probably wrong. Wondering how you filled it?
Might have missed one of the valves?

Do you have water flow when the hot water faucet is on? If so check the outside shower and make sure it is turned off too.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Maryland
Yes valves are open it's a 2016 both are in the wash bay, hot water tank filled check that before firing it up. thx still working on it I'll let u know
Old 05-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #6

Maryland
Sorry
yes on water flow will and will check outside shower
Thank u
Old 05-08-2017, 11:17 PM   #7

Maryland
Well ordering a Thermostat and thermal cut off wire will try that before calling in a pro,
thank u
Old 05-08-2017, 11:30 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Well ordering a Thermostat and thermal cut off wire will try that before calling in a pro,
thank u
You know, you can bypass those snap switches before you order the set. That way you'd know for sure if you need them.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #9

Maryland
Ok Sundancer how is that done I'm all thumps sometime lol just been learning a lot from you guys on the site so fill me in sir and I didn't see that on google either lol
thank you again what wealth of knowledge here.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Ok Sundancer how is that done I'm all thumps sometime lol just been learning a lot from you guys on the site so fill me in sir and I didn't see that on google either lol
thank you again what wealth of knowledge here.
A little explanation of them, they are a bi-metallic switch that is activated by heat and cold. The bi-metallic fingers of the switch are dissimilar metals, allowing one finger to open or close before the other one. These guys are NC or normally closed to allow the heater to heat the water to the set temperature and when the water gets hot they open and shut the burner off. That's the basic idea for them.

Looking at the switches straight on you'd remove the wire that comes from the control board and simply touch it to the other side of the switch. If it works the ECO is open, or bad. If that doesn't do it you can touch the control board wire to the far or left side of the THER switch.
Or you can take your volt meter and check continuity of the switches individually, with the wires off. There should be continuity on both of them, if not, one or both are bad.

Another thing, if you have a bad one you can get the same switch at the local heating and cooling shop. These switches are used as furnace fan control commonly. Just match temperature rating on them.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #11

Maryland
thank you sir will give that a try,
Old 05-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #12

Montana
Quote:
Yes valves are open it's a 2016 both are in the wash bay, hot water tank filled check that before firing it up. thx still working on it I'll let u know
Just to be thorough, when you say "valves are open" do you mean the bypass is open as well? For normal operation, the water tank inlet and outlet valves should be open and the bypass valve closed. For winterization, water tank inlet and outlet valves should be closed and the bypass valve should be open.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #13

Maryland
ewarnusa I my be winterize it wrong, what I do is open and drain all the faucets, shower and washer hook ups and the low drain tubes than drain the hot water heater by taking the plug and opening the pressure valve. than blow air thur the system and the showers and black tank wash out switch the 2bypass valves and run rv antifreeze thur the system and close one faucets at a time once I see antifreeze, doing this no antifreeze come out the hot water tank its a 2016 3605 voltage had no problems the 1st year till the end of the season the hot water was get warn not hot this year no hot water. been working late so have not been back on it yet I'll keep updating when done thank you for all the input it's a learning experience for me
Bill
Old 05-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #14

Montana
Sounds like you've got it right. You must have a two valve winterization setup vs the three valve like I was referring to. If you are sure your tank filled up, then the valves should be in the correct position. If cold/tepid water is all you get out of the hot water taps, then I suspect an outdoor shower has its taps open or something like that.

For normal operation with a two valve setup, the bottom (inlet) valve should be allowing water into the tank and bypassing the bypass; the top (outlet) should be allowing water out of the tank. Note in the picture below that it is in winterize mode, normal use would have the valves 90 degrees from their current positions.

The pic below is for normal use in a 3 valve setup. If you in fact have a 3 valve setup and opened the tank inlet and outlet valves but left the bypass open as well, then this would also result in the symptoms you've reported.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #15

Maryland
New thermostats are in and yes hot water again, Thank you to all that replied. I went on u tube for the replacement video and they made it look so easy lol,
thx again Bill