Akuret Tires - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
Akuret Tires

I know there have been threads on this, but can't find them. Does anyone know if the Akuret tire blows and causes damage will they pay for the damage if it is a bad tire? I know proofing it could take forever, but was curious if anyne knows who has already gone through this ordeal! I was going to change tires when I got home from the last coamping trip. Whoops one trip to late.

Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #2

I am in the process of trying to get a claim settled with Lionshead AKA Akuret. I sent all the info to them over 2 weeks ago. I have not heard a peep. When I first started this claim I could not get a response from Lionshead. I ended up calling the claims person boss to get a response. I feel its going no where fast.

About the time I started this another board member here was working on theirs. He had to argue to get full replacement of the tires. They only wanted to replace one tire.

In my case I am asking not only for tire replacements but for damage incurred to the camper. I feel i have a snow ball chance in hell of recovering anything but one tire if even that. The company is saying in the beginning since it was out of warranty by a couple weeks its not covered unless I can show the tires are defective. This put me on the defensive right off. Well I responded a second tire was found to have a big bubble on the inside. That was evidence enough to me the tires are defective. We shall see but I still see it as problematic for me.

My advice is get rid of them asap before u looks a fender which will cost you thousands to repair.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Chapter Director

Ohio
I figured it would be a difficult task and I'm just not sure I want to fight it. I certainly don't them to replace one or all of the same brand!
Findlay, Oh.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #4

Florida
I have read a lot of bad comments on Akuret tires and they make them sound like junk but don't all tires sold in the US have to meet certain DOT specifications & standards?
2012 EZGO Custom Cart
hitman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Can you say Firestone/Bridgestone?

Firestone Tire Company has been plagued with tread belt detachment tire failures, (commonly referred to as tread separations), for decades. The two largest tire recalls in history were both Firestone tires as a result of tread belt separations. The first was the Firestone 500 recall which occurred in 1978. The more recent recall in 2000 was of Bridgestone/Firestone’s ATX, ATX II and Wilderness AT tires that were original equipment on Ford Explorers. This was the most massive tire recall in history.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #6

Colorado
I would like to point out that not all Firestone/Bridgestone tires are made in the US. They can also be made in Canada, Costa Rica, Brazil, and Mexico. Tire Rack is one of the few sites I have found that posts the country of origin on tires.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Can you say Firestone/Bridgestone?

Firestone Tire Company has been plagued with tread belt detachment tire failures, (commonly referred to as tread separations), for decades. The two largest tire recalls in history were both Firestone tires as a result of tread belt separations. The first was the Firestone 500 recall which occurred in 1978. The more recent recall in 2000 was of Bridgestone/Firestone’s ATX, ATX II and Wilderness AT tires that were original equipment on Ford Explorers. This was the most massive tire recall in history.
So I guess what you are saying is all tire makers regardless of country of origin have problems. And DOT standards must be very low. It is a miracle we dont have more blown tires on the freeway system!
2012 EZGO Custom Cart
hitman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #8

Oklahoma
It would be a good bet that each tire maker is trying to make a better tire for less cost to them. They have to keep up with higher speeds and higher temperature. Cars carrying heavier loads and cars with more power to the rear end.

DOT is DOT, I have no comment on their standards. It's government, nuff said.

So many imports coming into the US surely taxes any department that is charged with inspecting materials and basic requirements and standards for our imported items.

I mean, we can't get a quality RV from as far away as Indiana so how can we expect someone to keep a close eye on imports that are supposed to meet a standard.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman007 View Post
So I guess what you are saying is all tire makers regardless of country of origin have problems. And DOT standards must be very low. It is a miracle we dont have more blown tires on the freeway system!
No I was not really saying that, I was just saying that what you may consider to be a U.S. brand does not mean "Made in the USA". I do think that even if a tire is foreign made, if it is branded with a U.S. label you are likelier to end up with a better product and likely better customer service if there is a problem. Manufacturers, that are not hiding behind 'private' labels (like Akuret), I think tend to be better only because they have a reputation to try to uphold.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
I mean, we can't get a quality RV from as far away as Indiana so how can we expect someone to keep a close eye on imports that are supposed to meet a standard.
Too true! but I think there is a lot more competition in the tire world than Thor Industries faces in the RV world. Keen competition tends to drive quality.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #11

Oklahoma
But Chalkie, Thor Industries like some of the telco companies like some of the banks and financial instututions like the food industry acquire their competition.

I think we would be amazed if we 'drilled down' the ownership of our favorite product, or our least favorite product.

Didn't we have or still do have products imported from Japan that had a city named USA so they could put a 'Made in USA' stamp on it?

The end result in competitors is you don't actually know who the mothership is. You may not like this brand name so you purchase a different brand name but the item is the same thing with a different badge stuck on it. Does not Thor own Coleman or something like that?

We as consumers are at the mercy of manufacturers, not the other way around. When was the last time consumer dislike for a product brought a manufacturer down?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #12

Colorado
Quote:
But Chalkie, Thor Industries like some of the telco companies like some of the banks and financial instututions like the food industry acquire their competition.

I think we would be amazed if we 'drilled down' the ownership of our favorite product, or our least favorite product.
Yes, there are major players owning a number of brands. Take Campbell's Soup. They own Pace, Prego, Swanson, V8, Pepperidge Farms and many others. They still have plenty of competition from others like Nestle or Kraft Foods. Fortunately, the government will not let acquisitions go to the point of monopoly.

Quote:
Didn't we have or still do have products imported from Japan that had a city named USA so they could put a 'Made in USA' stamp on it?
Never heard that one.

Quote:
The end result in competitors is you don't actually know who the mothership is. You may not like this brand name so you purchase a different brand name but the item is the same thing with a different badge stuck on it. Does not Thor own Coleman or something like that?
Thor Industries is not bashful about telling you what their brands are. As far as Coleman is concerned, Thor bought the rights to the Coleman brand on campers only. Other than that, Coleman (camping gear) is still Coleman, sort of. They are owned by the Jarden Corporation (which also owns Sunbeam, Mr. Coffee, etc.) And then there is Coleman Heating and Air Conditioning. They make a/c's for RVs in addition to home stuff but they are owned by Johnson Controls. It really is not difficult with a little searching to find out who owns what or is owned by whom.

Quote:
We as consumers are at the mercy of manufacturers, not the other way around. When was the last time consumer dislike for a product brought a manufacturer down?
How about Suzuki? The company is not out of business but they no longer sell cars in the U.S. due to customer dislike. Or Kodak, again not entirely dead, but consumers changing preference to digital cameras nearly killed it. Not quite the same, but how often have you seen a fast food chain bring out something new only to kill a month or so later due to lack of demand? Consumers really do play a role in how well a business fares.

Heh! All this is way off topic from where this thread started but still makes the point - do some research before buying anything, tires is just another example of things not always being what they seem.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #13

Oklahoma
My mistake about USA Japan. It's USa China and a city in Russia.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
Chapter Director

Ohio
After calling Lionshead I have decided it is not worth my time to fight this. I really don't have anyway to proove the tire is faulty. There was nothing left of it. I do know the side walls are soft on the Akuret tires. I went and purchased Goodyear LT G614's. I also weighted the trailer prior to buying themjust to make sure there had not been a weight issue. There wasn't and the trailer was loaded. I may still play the game with Lionshead for awhile just to see what happens with them.

I do know from visiting another owners group this is just not a Dutchmen problem. Most all of the issues were with these off brand tires.

Also the warranty on the G614's if they are faulty and would blow they pay for the damage.

Findlay, Oh.