Air system in Voltage? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #1

Texas
Air system in Voltage?

I am looking at dropping a DC Air compressor and Tank system in my 2013 Voltage 3990.

I am trying to figure out how much current I can draw through the dc converter. Does anyone know what the Amperage rating on the stock converters is?

The other option would be a direct wire to the battery bank. What would your battery recommendations be on a dual compressor system(40 amp max) with a 5 gallon tank?

My OEM Batteries are done at this point and, I need to replace them anyway. My unit came stock with 2 batteries, but I was considering adding 2 more 12 volt batteries(for a total of 4) and using one of them to run my compressors exclusively.

We rarely boondock, and are generally on shore power or genni when we are camping.

Any thoughts on my plan for the compressor power? Does anyone have experience installing something like this in their unit?

Any Help Appreciated.

George

gwking11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:13 AM   #2

Arizona
I have a portable air compressor that i use when camping for the toys, and also take with me when jeeping. Has clamps to connect to battery(s). I will likely be plumbing in some lines and disconnects on each side of the rv, so i can just hookup batt clamps and plug in when needed.

For batteries, i just posted this 4 6v batt conversion to work as a 12v system i just installed:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...html#post51670

The compressor i use is a Viair 450P, pretty strong on demand compressor goes up to 150 psi.

Jason

4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:08 AM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadzs View Post
I have a portable air compressor that i use when camping for the toys, and also take with me when jeeping. Has clamps to connect to battery(s). I will likely be plumbing in some lines and disconnects on each side of the rv, so i can just hookup batt clamps and plug in when needed.

For batteries, i just posted this 4 6v batt conversion to work as a 12v system i just installed:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...html#post51670

The compressor i use is a Viair 450P, pretty strong on demand compressor goes up to 150 psi.

Jason
I saw your post earlier. It looks like and awesome upgrade for the 5-ver, I am just not sure I need that much juice if I am not running an inverter tho. Some good deep cycle batteries should be good for what I do. Just not sure how well they will last with the compressors running full blast!

Any idea on what converter is installed stock on the voltages...i really don't wnat to unload my passthrough storage and take that panel off to find out, lol

george
Old 05-17-2017, 04:31 AM   #4

Arizona
If you do go with 2 batts, you may want to just go two 6v batts, instead of the 12v deep cycles. Lots of reasons why, but has already been covered to ehaustion on other posts and forums.
I am not yet running the inverter, but still hate to run outta juice so often and have to replace 12v deeps every year or two, as well as runn the genny too much. I had 4 12v deeps on my older class A, and two 6' on my last toy hauler, 6's IMO last much longer life wise and run down more.

Anyhow, my 2014 has a WFCO WF-6800 series Deckmount Converter.

Any batt setup, should do fine with a good 12v compressor, and wont run the batts down as fast as you may think, unless ot was cycling all the time for some reason. I use mine just to check and adjust pressures before hitting the road or trails.

Jason
4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 AM   #5

Texas
Yeah mine is used a lot on the first day(inflating inner tubes and floats) and then will pretty much just sit. probably wont even have it on the rest of the week, will just use it on demand.

as far as the 6v batteries is concerned I will look into it. at 84 bucks each i can pretty much get 4 of those for the price of 2 12v rv batteries anyway.

Just to make sure the schematic in my head is correct, I would wire into positive of battery 1 from charger, out neg of battery 1 to pos of second battery then out neg of second battery to charger. this would give me single 12v battery.

If I run 4 batteries I would do the same, just connecting the pos and neg ends of each series to the trailer. this would double my amps.

Sound about right?
Old 05-18-2017, 12:41 AM   #6

Arizona
Here is a good diagram as to how to connect batteries together for 12V systems.
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATT Wiring Diagram.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	4136
Old 05-18-2017, 12:47 AM   #7

Texas
Quote:

Jason
i am considering running a dual Viair 450C setup with 5 gallon tank. All onboard of course. I already have an air system in my truck for the helper bags, but it is not a very strong system. I tried to air up my 5'ver spare roadside with it, and the spare just laughed at me..lol

I may start with just one of the compressors and see how that goes. I can always add a second compressor later.

I also considered doing a dual compressor with different cutoff pressures. that way when the tank is empty I would get a big push, but then around 125 or so I could just run one compressor. Haven't ironed it all out in my head yet, and I need the system basically next week, so I am not sure what route I am going to take.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwking11 View Post
I saw your post earlier. It looks like and awesome upgrade for the 5-ver, I am just not sure I need that much juice if I am not running an inverter tho. Some good deep cycle batteries should be good for what I do. Just not sure how well they will last with the compressors running full blast!

Any idea on what converter is installed stock on the voltages...i really don't wnat to unload my passthrough storage and take that panel off to find out, lol

george
George - stock converter that was in my 2014 3950:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inverter 2.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	4137  
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #9

Texas
Thanks for all the help!! I assume I also have a 100 amp converter, but I wonder how stout it is? 100 amp seems like way more than these trailers need...basically just running a few lights and the car stereo in the back most of the time...i would guess the hydraulics for the slides and auto-level pull around 30 amps max, so even if you are running everything at once I would think no more than 60 amps or so. Makes me wonder if the converters are weak, so they over shoot to compensate!
Old 05-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #10

Texas
Thanks. That is a great graphic...it is going in my cloud storage!
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion Hitch
Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 AM   #11

Colorado
I'm curious, why not just get a 110v compressor from home depot or wherever for $150 and use your genny to run it as needed? Keep your 12v system and batteries for items you use on a regular basis.
Generally a 110v compressor will pump more air faster then a 12v.
Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:01 AM   #12

Arizona
So did you get the air system up and going? Pics?

Are you going to run quick Disconnects on each side? That is what I am planning to do, and have them in the Propane cabinet, that way I can run my slinky type hose to either side tires to be able to top off all the tires before rolling out, and to reach all the truck tires as well.

I figure I will place the compressor up front next to the battery bin, and use a quick disconnect on the pump, as well as a shutoff connected to the batts and plug that can convert to batt clamps to remove as needed when going jeeping and airing down and up as needed. Or, if needed, to help air up someone else remotely using their battery.

Gear
Old 05-24-2017, 03:43 AM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts View Post
I'm curious, why not just get a 110v compressor from home depot or wherever for $150 and use your genny to run it as needed? Keep your 12v system and batteries for items you use on a regular basis.
Generally a 110v compressor will pump more air faster then a 12v.
For me, a portable air compressor makes the most sense, as even if i had a 110v compressor just for the 5er, i would still have to bring the portable. Need the portable for jeepin, and duning also. Sometimes, we de bead a tire in the dunes and can go back to camp to get the portable. Or air way down when jeepin, a compressor is mandatory. Also, the portable saves space and weight and hate loading two of the same type of item. The portable i have is a good on demand unit, may take a lil longer as it is tankless, but it gets it done without the bulk of a compressor with a tank. The 4 6v batts wont care too much when it is used.

Gear
Old 05-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #14

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts View Post
I'm curious, why not just get a 110v compressor from home depot or wherever
I have a portable Craftsman 2.5 gal 110v model that I take with me, for me it is more about "one more thing to pack" when going out.

On my last weekend trip I had a blowout on the trailer. Since it was just a short trip, I did not pack the portable compressor and had to make do...thankfully i have an air system on my truck, but it is way under-powered to be airing up tires roadside.

I have thought about hard mounting a 110v compressor and tank separately in the TH tho. The 12v system seems easier to me for some reason.

For this years trip, I will be relegated to the 110v portable again...just found out i need all new tires on the dually for 1200 bucks, so the air system dream will have to wait!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #15

Texas
Quote:
So did you get the air system up and going? Pics?
Nope, no air system this trip...just realized i need new tires all around on the dually for 1200 bucks, so the air system dream is on pause.

Quote:
Are you going to run quick Disconnects on each side?
Yes i would put quick connects on either side of the trailer, but I always carry a 50' air hose with me, so reaching is no problem. It will be more for convenience.

Quote:
I figure I will place the compressor up front next to the battery bin
In my setup, i had planned to drop the compressor and the tanks in the back. I was going to mount them to the frame rails behind the gas tanks. in my 3990 I have enough room back there for them I think!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #16

Arizona
I am going to try to get mine setup over the next couple days, I will let you know how it goes.
I am planning to use PEX tubing and fittings. Then have a 30" slinky type hose in each propane cabinet that will get to each side tires on RV and Ram. I was looking at locating my 12V compressor just in front of the Hydraulic tank on the left wall in my front compartment. May have to weld in some angle iron to the wall to create a shelf for the compressor to sit in place and still be removable, as well as have some storage underneath it next to the batt bin.

We shall see how it goes, it started getting pretty hot out here in AZ, about 106 yesterday, so that may slow the work down, as well as heading to the river this weekend.

Gear
Old 05-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #17

Arizona
[QUOTE=gwking11;51931]Nope, no air system this trip...just realized i need new tires all around on the dually for 1200 bucks, so the air system dream is on pause.

Its always tires, tires, tires. UGH . I feel your pain.

Last year, I had just bought new Michelin tires for my F150 FX4, then a month later decided to trade it off for a Ram 2500. I also purchased a 31' Fleetwood TH, and replaced all 6 tires as they were suspect. We had that for about 8 months, and decided we wanted more creature comforts and purchased the Voltage. The Voltage had GY Marathon E rated tires, so I replaced them all with Sailun G rated Rib tires.

Needless to say, I'm a little tired of tires.

But for me, good tires is just as important as having a good insurance policy.

Last year on a trip to the Dunes, a buddy blew a tire, and it took out about 20' of fiberglass and trim on his 5er, about 3' high . Honestly, I kinda blame it on him, he had to be pushing 75mph on he D rated 15" ST tires when he flew passed us going 65. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race.

Gear
Old 05-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #18

Texas
yeah on my old Bunkhouse 5'ver, we blew out and took the skirting off from the front wheel back. thought i learned my lesson on that one, but i guess not!! The tires on my voltage are only 3 years old, seems way too early for them to be having trouble...but low and behold, blew one on the last trip
Old 05-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #19

Texas
Quote:
as well as heading to the river this weekend.

Gear
What river?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #20

Arizona
Lake Havasu. Affectionately called The River here, as it is part of the Colorado River.

Name:	IMG_0403.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	4154

Name:	01f3c0e53012984ab966e73b4aabdca0af38ed2673.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	4155

Tags
air compressor, batteries, dc converter, dc power