adding gas to toy Hauler 5th Wheel fuel station - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #1

Arizona
adding gas to toy Hauler 5th Wheel fuel station

I have two 20 Gallon tanks, 1 is 1/2 full the other is 1/4 full, when I try to add gas the nozzle keep shutting off like the tanks are full. Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

fsbybw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #2

Michigan
They have a check valve at the far end of the filler neck. You have to run the pump slow to fill up. They are there to prevent gas sloshing up the neck and out of the cap vent when going down the road. Plus the filler neck has a very shallow angle that doesn't help either

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:51 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbybw1 View Post
I have two 20 Gallon tanks, 1 is 1/2 full the other is 1/4 full, when I try to add gas the nozzle keep shutting off like the tanks are full. Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Do you know for certain the level of the tanks or are you going by the LEDs? You may be full already.

If they are full you can see as the fuel rises in the filler neck when going slow before the nozzle clicks off..
The LEDs are mostly eye candy.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:02 AM   #4

Texas
Fix

Take a wooden dowel or even a 2' or longer piece of 1/4" fuel hose. Push it down the fill neck until you hit the check valve. Then push some more until you feel the valve give way. What you have now done is to have pushed the ball out through the valve and into the tank. Your issues are solved. The valve is a spring type value that will never get enough weight on it to actually function properly since there is no angle to the fill neck. I will note that it does not take all that much force, so if you find yourself pushing extremely hard you will need to change your angle of approach.

milharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #5

California
I turn the fuel nozzle sideways and sometimes that helps with the fuel flow. Also, as suggested above pump at about half speed and you might have more luck. The filler tube running into the tank is too shallow and needs to be steeper so the fuel will not back up so quickly and stop the pump. Once again another poor design by Dutchmen!
Old 10-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #6

Arizona
Thank you all, I really appreciate information.
fsbybw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:51 AM   #7

Oregon
I think this is correct:

1 gal propane = 4.2 pounds

20# tank has 4.6 gal max, tare of 18#, gas weight 19#, 37 pounds total when filled, or about 32# at 75%.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:12 PM   #8

Colorado
My 2005 Jeep Wrangler had a similar problem with the check valve, it's a common problem with them.
The reason (they say) is the plastic the check valve is made of reacts with the oxygenated crappy fuel and the plastic swells slightly, making the valve stick closed, or very stiff to open.
I removed mine lightly sanded the sliding piston type valve and it has been working as designed for 4 years.
Now this does not account for the shallow filler neck design.
But a sticking valve would be why some have more problems them others.

I only put rec90 or boat gas in my 3950 tanks, I don't have any fuel filling problems.
Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #9

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
I turn the fuel nozzle sideways and sometimes that helps with the fuel flow. Also, as suggested above pump at about half speed and you might have more luck. The filler tube running into the tank is too shallow and needs to be steeper so the fuel will not back up so quickly and stop the pump. Once again another poor design by Dutchmen!
The sideways nozzle works for me also. I have one local fuel station where when I am hooked up I can fill the truck with diesel and at the same time fuel the cell in the trailer with the nozzle sideways. Plus I can buy beer right in same parking lot!!!!!!!!!!! bonus!!!!
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:24 PM   #10

Montana
I think that if there is fuel in the tank and it sloshes it seats the ball and it won’t release then you can’t fill it. I knocked the balls out of both tanks, no more problem, I did have to replace one cap it was leaking ou5 the cap. The tanks won’t leak out of the vent.

erhardd is offline   Reply With Quote