Adding a Hitch - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #1

Texas
Adding a Hitch

I am interested in possibly adding a hitch to my 3200 so I can pull my Sea Doo to the lake this summer. Last summer, my wife would drive a separate vehicle towing the Sea Doo. While this isn't that big of a deal when we camp at the lake close to home, I would like to camp at lakes further away where taking two cars would be inconvenient.

I have heard of people adding hitches but I wanted to ask if any of you have done it. If so, I'm assuming it was custom work.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #2

Colorado
You are correct this will need to be custom work, if the 3200 is similar to the 3950 I have there's no rear cross bar to attach a bolt on hitch. I would recommend a 2X4 3/16 wall steel tube welded between the rear frame rails then weld in a 2" receiver in the middle should do just nicely and be plenty strong enough.

I've been thinking about doing this to my 3950 except with 3 2" receivers spaced evenly across the new cross bar. This will allow me to build a hanging platform (Removable) to add a forth quad to the rear of my setup. Drive up/off from the side of the new platform, then unpin and remove the platform to drop the tailgate.

-----------------------------
2011 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
2014 Dutchmen Voltage 3950
Toys: 2010 ArticCat ThunderCat 1000, 2012 Yahama Raptor 250, 2012 Yahama Grizzly 550 EPS

Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #3

Texas
Soonernation
I went by a welding shop and they told me they had put hitches on a number of fifth wheels. (Hoops in Denton). All they do is weld a piece of heavy angle iron to the inside of the back factory bumper and to the frame rails. They wanted around $300 to do this. I realized I had some heavy tube laying around so I did it myself and had no problems towing a ten foot trailer with my four wheeler on it. Just don't try to back up with the two trailers
Old 03-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

Colorado
I had one welded up locally for $150. I use it for a basket that carries my generator, fuel and spare water. Another place down the road quoted me $400. I can only assume that included wiring up the plug for lights?
Speaking of lights, I've been thinking of doing that. Anyone have a link for DIY installation? Would I tap into the lights off the back of the trailer?
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

Texas
I ended up just tapping into the lights at the back of the trailer.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmac View Post
Soonernation
I went by a welding shop and they told me they had put hitches on a number of fifth wheels. (Hoops in Denton). All they do is weld a piece of heavy angle iron to the inside of the back factory bumper and to the frame rails. They wanted around $300 to do this. I realized I had some heavy tube laying around so I did it myself and had no problems towing a ten foot trailer with my four wheeler on it. Just don't try to back up with the two trailers
Thanks for the info. I would weld mine myself but I don't believe my little 110v wire welder would do the trick.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote