AC unit on the fritz - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

AC unit on the fritz

A little foresight help I would appreciate. Yesterday I entered my Voltage only to find it was warm inside. I usually leave the AC on 85 when in storage to keep humidity down in this hot humid Florida weather. I checked everything and everything was ok power wise. The bedroom AC worked fine when I turned it on.
I am somewhat knowledgeable about AC but never worked on a RV unit. I am thinking a Start capacitor or contactor is probably bad.
My question is; are these items easy to access and are they replaceable??
BTW the fan blows just no compressor running. I plan on crawling up on the roof this morning and see what I can find.. Is this a doable job or am I barking up the wrong tree to try to fix the unit since it is not that old.
NO, I don't know the brand of the unit but I'm guessing Dometic.
Any ideas or help I would appreciate.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #2

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
A little foresight help I would appreciate. Yesterday I entered my Voltage only to find it was warm inside. I usually leave the AC on 85 when in storage to keep humidity down in this hot humid Florida weather. I checked everything and everything was ok power wise. The bedroom AC worked fine when I turned it on.
I am somewhat knowledgeable about AC but never worked on a RV unit. I am thinking a Start capacitor or contactor is probably bad.
My question is; are these items easy to access and are they replaceable??
BTW the fan blows just no compressor running. I plan on crawling up on the roof this morning and see what I can find.. Is this a doable job or am I barking up the wrong tree to try to fix the unit since it is not that old.
NO, I don't know the brand of the unit but I'm guessing Dometic.
Any ideas or help I would appreciate.
I just had the same thing happen on my 2014 Voltage 3605. Went up on the roof and took the cover off to check things out. On top of compressor there is a nut holding on a cap. Under the cap are some wires. The white wire was burnt off the overload protector. It looks like it had just come loose. Cleaned up top of compressor where connector attaches and put new connector on white wire and turned power back on. Works great. Hope this helps. My AC is Dometic.
Trace

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tcivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #3

Yes that gives me hope. When you were under the hood did you see a start capacitor or contactor.??
Old 06-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #4

Tennessee
I won't be much help there. I am limited in my AC knowledge. YouTube and a friend who does commercial HVAC. I was just looking for anything obvious before I called some who really knew. Sorry

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tcivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
Mine was having intermittent problems when new, of course the dealer couldn't fix it. I found a white Molex type plug that goes into a 4" grey junction box was not plugged in tight. Snapped it in until the plug latched, been good ever since.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #6

update.... I took the hood off the AC unit. everything looked good. I checked the starting capacitor which checked good. All wiring looked good and all connections. I checked all the line voltages which were good. So I fired off the AC and the fan and compressor ran... HMMM..... after a few minutes I gave it the feel test. The high-pressure line was not hot and the low pressure not cold yet the compressor was definitely running. It seems the freon is my guess leaked somewhere or the compressor went south..
I appreciate all the tips as this was my first trip into an RV AC. Now I get to replace it.. ugggg
Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #7

Wyoming
Well that sucks... any chance you're still under warranty/extended warranty? If not the RV's warranty... maybe Dometic's on the unit?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #8

Arizona
Dometic offers a 2 year warranty (from in-service date on your Voltage) on their a/c units. Have to have problem diagnosed by a certified tech. Dometic typically won't pay for initial trouble call (I.e., mobile tech), but will pay for any warrantable repair or replacement after the technician verifies problem and in-service date.

Good luck!
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #9

Tom... no warranty.. i called CW... 1000 installed.. they had to order the black one. Remember you and I have the same rig..were headed to labrador and nova scotia in a couple months..since your perm camping your welcome to come join us.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #10

Wyoming
Quote:
...were headed to labrador and nova scotia in a couple months..since your perm camping your welcome to come join us.
Tempting, but I'm actually gonna be staying out west for the rest of the summer. Just roaming around a bit thru August, ending up in West Yellowstone for 10 days over the Labor Day holiday. After that it's Colorado and back into Utah for a bit before making my way down into Texas (South Padre) for the winter.

Sucks about your A/C... hope the replacement goes trouble-free.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:45 PM   #11

Tennessee
Mine was only 8 months old when it leaked all the freon out. I was in the middle of a trip so I bought a clamp-on piercing valve and gassed it up myself. Had to do it again about 5 months later. Did it again the next spring which was last year and it hasn't leaked since. I guess it must have got a piece of debri in the pinhole and stopped leaking. Been working great for a year and a half with no problems.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post
Mine was only 8 months old when it leaked all the freon out. I was in the middle of a trip so I bought a clamp-on piercing valve and gassed it up myself. Had to do it again about 5 months later. Did it again the next spring which was last year and it hasn't leaked since. I guess it must have got a piece of debri in the pinhole and stopped leaking. Been working great for a year and a half with no problems.
That's right, get er done like in the old days!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #13

Tom.....
while your out that way look for the hidden treasure hidden somewhere in the rockies..read the clues and find the treasure Forest Fenn placed. Its somewhere near you.,
Old 07-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Yes that gives me hope. When you were under the hood did you see a start capacitor or contactor.??
When you pull the cover everything is usually right there.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote