AC Breaker Tripping - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Texas
AC Breaker Tripping

A couple trips ago, the bedroom AC started tripping the breaker. Thinking it may be dirty coils, I got up on the roof and cleaned them on both units. It's still happening. I can run the fan no problem. It will even run fine when the compressor kicks on. It will trip the breaker after running for some random amount of time. Usually no less than 5 or 10 min. I reset the breaker and it will run again sometimes for an even longer period.

Is it possible this is a bad breaker? I checked in the panel to ensure the connections are good. I've never experienced a breaker going bad at home so this seemed unlikely even though there were people on the web stating the need to replace the breaker.

I'm hoping the unit isn't bad. If it is, does anyone know if these are covered under most extended warranties?

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #2

Oklahoma
I replace the breakers for the ACs every six months. Any longer than that and they will start tripping. They are about $20 and a pretty cheap fix.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

Idaho
It could be the breaker getting week. I would try to get an amp draw on the unit before replacing the breaker just to be sure its not an over draw. We see this a lot with residential HVAC equipment. Breakers do get weak and start to trip as they get warm and I would have to assume that the RV industry uses the cheapest stuff they can find. I doubt its a problem with the AC, typically it would trip the breaker on start up or not run at all.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #4

California
Interesting my 13.5k in the bedroom trips the breaker every time I first turn it on. After I reset it it never fails again.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Interesting my 13.5k in the bedroom trips the breaker every time I first turn it on. After I reset it it never fails again.
That's also very common, as the compressor sits unused the oil in the refrigerant will migrate to valves at the compressor. This will cause what we call slugging the compressor and make the first start up of the year a littler harder which will sometimes cause a breaker to trip or fuses to blow. Often times we install a hard start kit inline with the capacitor just to give it a little more boost on fire up, more typical on older units. Keep in mind I work on commercial and residential HVAC equipment but it should be the same story with an RV AC.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #6

California
I have added a start capacitor to both the A/C on my Voltage. The bedroom one will run a awhile before it trips the breaker. Reset it and never a problem after that.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:14 AM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbabi View Post
I replace the breakers for the ACs every six months. Any longer than that and they will start tripping.
Really? I guess I should change mine - they're 5 years old.

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote