3895 Jacks/Frame Noises - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #1

California
3895 Jacks/Frame Noises

Hello,

I have a 2015 3895. I noticed when it's up on all six jacks that it makes a lot of noise. It creaks and cracks quite often. I'm not sure it is the frame or the jacks not withstanding the weight.

My in-laws are staying in it at a RV park, and called me to express their concern with the noises and how often it's happening. It's happening multiple times a day. Sometimes within minutes of each other.

Have any of you had this issue? If so, what did you find out? I am taking it back to the dealer in a few weeks for other warranty work anyhow. But I'd like to get a jump on the issue.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Jwoody205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwoody205 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2015 3895. I noticed when it's up on all six jacks that it makes a lot of noise. It creaks and cracks quite often. I'm not sure it is the frame or the jacks not withstanding the weight.

My in-laws are staying in it at a RV park, and called me to express their concern with the noises and how often it's happening. It's happening multiple times a day. Sometimes within minutes of each other.

Have any of you had this issue? If so, what did you find out? I am taking it back to the dealer in a few weeks for other warranty work anyhow. But I'd like to get a jump on the issue.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Some of the members with hydraulic jacks have found a cure for the popping jacks.

You can try and do a search or maybe better, one of the members will come along soon with the answer.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

Indiana
Yes, I have. Apparently, you have the six point leveling system from Lippert. Some have experienced this issue and others have not.

This issue has been discussed extensively on forums, such as; Heartland (Big Horn, Landmark), and Redwood. Owners of these fifth wheel units are taking a turkey baster and removing a quart of hydraulic fluid out of the hydraulic reservoir. They are then pouring a quart of Catapillar oil or Yamaha Fork oil into the reservoir. Then run all the hydraulic leveling jacks manually several times to get the oil through the lines and to the hydraulic rams (jacks).

I used the Cat oil from Catapillar equipment. I was in Florida at the time and they knew exactly what I needed when I asked. They said that they've sold a lot for the hydraulic system on fifth wheel trailers.

I cannot tell you what the part number of the oil that I used due to me flying home for the Christmas. I left my 5er and that empty quart bottle in Florida.

The quart was just under $ 40.00 with sales tax.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:51 AM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
Yes, I have. Apparently, you have the six point leveling system from Lippert. Some have experienced this issue and others have not.

This issue has been discussed extensively on forums, such as; Heartland (Big Horn, Landmark), and Redwood. Owners of these fifth wheel units are taking a turkey baster and removing a quart of hydraulic fluid out of the hydraulic reservoir. They are then pouring a quart of Catapillar oil or Yamaha Fork oil into the reservoir. Then run all the hydraulic leveling jacks manually several times to get the oil through the lines and to the hydraulic rams (jacks).

I used the Cat oil from Catapillar equipment. I was in Florida at the time and they knew exactly what I needed when I asked. They said that they've sold a lot for the hydraulic system on fifth wheel trailers.

I cannot tell you what the part number of the oil that I used due to me flying home for the Christmas. I left my 5er and that empty quart bottle in Florida.

The quart was just under $ 40.00 with sales tax.
Thanks for that info. I will have to look into that. So it sounds like they used garbage hydraulic fluid. Was it Cat that knew exactly what you needed? Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #5

California
$40.00 for a quart of hydraulic oil I'm a Service Manager at a Kubota tractor dealership. Our Kubota hyd. oil is $47.15 for 2 1/2 gallons.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

Indiana
No. This isn't just oil. It's an additive to reduce the shake & vibration that hydraulics can get.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 12-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwoody205 View Post
Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Heres a link to the info you ned to resolve your popping. A few of us on here have done this and it works.
http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...sheet/0295.pdf
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #8

Maryland
The directions say to fully extend the jacks...are they no kidding saying to run them full stroke and pick the old girl straight up off the ground? May be a good time to do some maintenance...

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
The directions say to fully extend the jacks...are they no kidding saying to run them full stroke and pick the old girl straight up off the ground? May be a good time to do some maintenance...

Cale
No need to lift unit.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #10

Michigan
It is an anti-stiction additive
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #11

California
Just wanted to update everyone. I did purchase 1U-9891 Hydraulic Oil Additive from CAT. I took a quart of the hydraulic fluid out and added a quart of the additive. Yes it was expensive at $30 a quart. I then exercised the a six jacks 5 times to make sure the additive mixed in. My in laws are still in the trailer and said they haven't heard a single pop. The $30 was worth the investment. You can use motorcycle fork oil too, but I figured the CAT additive would be higher quality.

Thank you all for your responses and help. Happy holidays!

Jason
Old 12-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #12

Wyoming
Question: When you say you exercised the jacks... how did you do that?

Did you hitch up the rig, and then extend & retract the jacks a few times... or did you just raise & lower the rig on its own?

Reason I ask is, I'm currently at an RV resort in AZ for the winter... and with the temperature swings we've been having lately, mine is popping like crazy. It's always popped a little here & there, but nothing like it's doing now.

Thanks...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

Did you hitch up the rig, and then extend & retract the jacks a few times... or did you just raise & lower the rig on its own?

Reason I ask is, I'm currently at an RV resort in AZ for the winter... and with the temperature swings we've been having lately, mine is popping like crazy. It's always popped a little here & there, but nothing like it's doing now.

Thanks...
Tom man, it's your neighbor's pill bottles you hear popping when the weather changes.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

Thanks...
I just hooked it up to my truck and extended and retracted them 5 times. You can do it without the truck. However, you nose will dip pretty low so make sure everything is secure inside. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #15

Wyoming
Yep, that's what I had planned on doing... glad to hear that's all I gotta do.

Sundancer... Yeah, I'm sure that could be some of it. I am one of the 'youngsters'' here at the resort.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #16

Indiana
When I added my CAT additive I didn't hook up to the TV. I did the manual override and extended all six rams to full extend. Once all were extended I pushed retract so that all six rams retracted. Did this 4 or 5 times. Just do it until you feel like you've mixed the additive trough the hydraulic lines.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 12-27-2014, 03:03 AM   #17

Tennessee
I definitely learned something here, my jacks are doing this too! Learn something eveyday! One of my jacks in the front is leaking slightly. I took pictures and sent to dealer, they're supposed to order a new one before my warranty runs out in February. I'll replace, just get me a new one and I'll return the defected one. We'll see what happens.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:10 AM   #18

Wyoming
Went into town (Phoenix) and got a quart of the CAT stuff today. Not too bad... $25.38. I'll get it done tomorrow...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE