2951 power converter failures - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #1

North Carolina
2951 power converter failures

Howdy all, we have purchased a voltage 2951 that we have been staying in full time while we build a house since we sold our last. We love it, have adapted well I believe and don't have many complaints. I've come to the realization that because we full time I'm going to have to work on this thing even though it's under warranty. I do have one issue that I can't seem to find an answer to. About 6 months in my wife and kids were inside one day watching a movie, when the wife heard a loud pop and the camper filled with smoke. She called and after I got off of work I came home to find the original 75 amp 120v to 12v converter blown. I had a spare 90 amp off an audio display that I installed. Worked great. For about 40 days. Then again, pop, smoke, and no power. Checked it out again dead converter. Purchased a 100 amp powermax. Works great. For a week. No shorts I can find, no water intrusion, nothing. Any ideas what would kill multiple converters?

William May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #2

Tennessee
Have you checked your incoming power source for issues?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

North Carolina
I did actually have an issue with the plug working loose from kids driving bicycles and people walking over power cable. I've since zip tied it to the receptacle to stop it from working loose. I wondered if that could possibly be causing issues.
William May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #4

Tennessee
Maybe...but I'd consider a surge protector anyway. Surge Guard
Old 08-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #5

Colorado
I've discovered that with 50 amp service it is critical to keep ALL of the male plug parts shinny clean. I had one 110v leg of my cable get some corrosion on it and that caused all sorts of electrical issues. Since it was after the surge protector, I wasn't protected. I now carry a roll of emery sand paper and a small wire brush with me at all times. My son had the same problem where one AC unit would not work. Cleaning the connector solved the problem.
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lantern View Post
Maybe...but I'd consider a surge protector anyway. Surge Guard
Also suggest a look at the 30 and 50 amp Progressive Industries Electrical Management Systems. Lifetime warranty with outstanding, US-based tech support. Made in the USA. Proven, reliable design.
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
I've discovered that with 50 amp service it is critical to keep ALL of the male plug parts shinny clean. I had one 110v leg of my cable get some corrosion on it and that caused all sorts of electrical issues. Since it was after the surge protector, I wasn't protected. I now carry a roll of emery sand paper and a small wire brush with me at all times. My son had the same problem where one AC unit would not work. Cleaning the connector solved the problem.
some di-electric grease would help as well

Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote