2017 F350 CC SB Hitch advice V3200 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2017, 01:31 AM   #1

British Columbia
2017 F350 CC SB Hitch advice V3200

I just bought a 3200 Voltage and I am looking for a hitch. I have the factory prep kit. What are the turning capabilities of a fixed hitch with the short box? Should I look at a slider or something like an auto slide. Thanks for your experience and advice.

Topogigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #2

Florida
I have a goose neck ball and then bought the ANDERSON ULTIMATE 5th WHEEL CONNECTION... and is by far the best system I've ever used or heard about.. I can get 90* with my mega cab and makes zero slop or noise...and the way it's designed it's offset for SB pick ups but still transfers weight where it should!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #3

Nevada
Top, I used to have a short bed truck for my other camper, I had a slider, but I never used it in over 3 years.....BUT why take the chance, I have made 90% turns with it, but its nice to have just in case and most turns have been on flat ground, I don't know if it would make a difference, backing into a stall or driveway if its not flat??
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topogigo View Post
I just bought a 3200 Voltage and I am looking for a hitch. I have the factory prep kit. What are the turning capabilities of a fixed hitch with the short box? Should I look at a slider or something like an auto slide. Thanks for your experience and advice.
We tow a 2951 with a short bed without a slider. I believe the 2951 has the same front cap as your 3200. We can turn about 70-75 degrees or so without getting too close to the cab. For us, 70-75 deg. is more than enough for normal day-to-day driving. IMO, we'd rather not turn much more than that anyhow. 70-90 degree turns put a lot of strain on the trailer suspension components.

In any case, if you do get a slider make plenty of measurements before purchasing. Check how low the trailer's king pin assembly sits in the bed, If it's lower (in the bed) than usual the rear of the king pin assembly can actually slide back and hit the tailgate (or the bedrail sides) when some sliders are activated. Also, check the min. and max. adjustable height of any hitch you may purchase. Some adjust from 13-17 in., others 17-21. If you can, try to borrow a hitch to check how level your trailer is with the truck's sag to find out what adjustment range you need.

Good luck!
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #5

I have a 3200 in a short bed F250. I love my slider. If I ever purchased another it would also have a slider hitch. I have been into tight turns that were not planned like having to make a u turn because of traffic or even just headed the wrong way. Without a slider i think my cab or cap or both would be crunched. I strongly recommend a Pullrite slider. You don't have to release anything to get it to slide. It is automatic.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #6

North Carolina
Andersen Ultimate is what you seek
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #7

Colorado
The 2017 F350 SRW truck is about 4" higher in the bed than the 2016. You best be checking your heights of both the truck and hitch pin.
Having said that, get a B&W companion hitch that fits the Ford truck factory setup. Works great and 1/2 the price of the Ford factory fifth wheel. I don't think Anderson makes a hitch yet for the factory setup.
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:21 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
The 2017 F350 SRW truck is about 4" higher in the bed than the 2016. You best be checking your heights of both the truck and hitch pin.
Having said that, get a B&W companion hitch that fits the Ford truck factory setup. Works great and 1/2 the price of the Ford factory fifth wheel. I don't think Anderson makes a hitch yet for the factory setup.

The Andersen Ultimate mounts to the gooseneck ball.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #9

Wyoming
With a full 8' bed on my F-450, I have no dog in this fight. That said...

If I were going to go with a conventional hitch on a short (or medium) bed truck, I'd insist on having a slider. And I say that having the B&W Companion hitch that fits in the Ford hitch-prep package... but just wouldn't trust it in anything but an 8' bed truck.

As for the Anderson... after initially being VERY skeptical about such a contraption, I have changed my opinion and now consider it a very nice option, especially for a shorter bed truck.

The basis for my change is seeing it in use on my friend's truck over the course of a year now. Although it secures to the truck chassis via a gooseneck ball... its "tower" support structure is supported by 4 additional legs, giving it similar support as a conventional hitch. And though the tower's offset places the king pin's location further aft (virtually eliminating any cab-clearance concerns), the design keeps the weight right in the sweet spot on the chassis where it should be.

The Anderson really is a well thought-out, well designed system that is MUCH less expensive than a conventional hitch... with the added benefit of being much light weight.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:12 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Andersen Ultimate is what you seek

AMEN!!!!... love mine!

Old 03-04-2017, 01:14 AM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post

I know they were working on one for ram and ford puck system for a while now.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #12

British Columbia
Andersen Hitch

Thanks for all the advice. I called Andersen and their system will work with the factory gooseneck prep package. From all the reviews I have seen it looks like this is the way I am going to go.
Great guys to deal with. I sent them an email and they phoned me here in Canada. Is this the forum I complain about the 73 cent Canadian $ HAHA. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #13

Alberta
Let me know how you make out on this, as I am looking for a new set up for this spring for my 3200 and a 2017 F-350 short box with factory prep package as well. What is the price for the Andersen set up in our awesome Canadian dollar?

Thanks

Troy
2015 Commander 800XT
switz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #14

British Columbia
Canadian $

I am stopping into the factory in Idaho Falls at the end of the month. I will let you know then.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #15

Alberta
Perfect looks like an interesting concept, I am interested to see how will work with Tri Glide ,Trail-air pin box?
2015 Commander 800XT
switz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #16

California
Do you have any issues with the trailer not riding lever when hooked up to your 2017 super duty. I had a 2013 F-250 short bed and had issues with it not riding level and occasionally dragging on the ground. I also didn't like how the truck road when loaded because of the tongue weight exceeding the recommended rating of the truck so I recently (last Friday) got a 2017 350 Long bed. The truck sits even higher that the old one and am concerned that the problem will get worse. I am changing out the kingpin with a morryde because it has a smaller profile and can get closer to the bed rails(in tern lowering the front end a little bit) I might end up lifting the trailer by either using the blocks sold by (trailerblocks.com) or if that is not enough then having custom springs made to lift it higher.

I would love to hear what you other 3200 people have to say about how level it rides when hooked to your 2017 super duty.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #17

Wyoming
I had the same concerns about riding nose-high. Can't really say I had any handling issues... just concerned about front-to-rear tire wear.

Towed her that way for just under 10,000 miles with no real issues, other than I thought I was getting a little uneven left-right tire wear. To correct that I researched the Correct Track suspension item... which, when installed, had the added benefit of raising the rear 2". So I got that installed, which did raise the rear.

But one thing to mindful of when raising the rear... your ramp angle changes for loading/unloading your toys. I found that 2" equals about 20°-25° of change, making the ramp much steeper. As such, I now use my hydraulic jacks to raise the nose when loading & unloading toys to bring that ramp angle back down to a somewhat gentle slope.

Anyway, here are photos of the my rig taken last September on my way back to the east coast. All told I now have over 20,000 miles on the rig, and no issues from being nose-high.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #18

British Columbia
lift on the unit

The gentleman before me towed this unit with a 3500 Ram ccsb. It is also a high unit. He lifted the unit 2.5 inches at a semi shop. I think it will be ok. With the Andersen hitch I can reverse the pinbox hookup to shorten the effective length and hopefully lower the front. You can also raise and lower the front with the pin on the ball. That is if you have the bed clearance.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topogigo View Post
The gentleman before me towed this unit with a 3500 Ram ccsb. It is also a high unit. He lifted the unit 2.5 inches at a semi shop. I think it will be ok. With the Andersen hitch I can reverse the pinbox hookup to shorten the effective length and hopefully lower the front. You can also raise and lower the front with the pin on the ball. That is if you have the bed clearance.
I do have the clearance on the bed rails but my issue is that the hitch is all the way down and the kingpin is all the way up. There is a set of holes that shows that the pin box could go up but when I tried, the pin box hit the fame and could not go up any more.