2016 3970 Slide Walls - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2016, 02:26 AM   #1

Maine
2016 3970 Slide Walls

Hello all,

I am looking to mount something in the living room on my slide wall below the window (where a couch used to be). Anyone know what the construction type is? I am guessing it's different from the main walls?

Thank you in advance!

boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:44 AM   #2

British Columbia
Anything that you know about construction, forget it. The way a camper is built defies logic.

I believe that all of the exterior walls are built the same. If you read throughPirates post on adding garage cabinets you can see an open wall. More Garage Cabinets - Page 4 - Dutchmen Owners

Are you actually going to hang something on the wall or are you just wanting to anchor something. I have an aversion to putting any holes in any walls walls in our camper, so if it won't hang on with industrial strength double sided tape, velcro, Command Strips or PL Premium, it has to be anchored to the floor.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

Maine
Decker,

I am trying to attach a desk to the wall that requires being anchored to the wall in order to work. I already have a hole saw crossection of the main wall from when I installed my dryer vent. I'm looking to confirm if it is the same type, thickness etc, for the slide wall. Then I can make an educated choice on hardware to use.

Thank you
Old 04-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

British Columbia
Keep in mind that my rig is nine years old, so who knows how many times they have changed construction methods in that time. But the slide walls in mine are the same thickness as the main walls.

I would pop the screens of of your slide window and one on the main wall and measure them. If you don't have a measuring tool such as a micrometer that is large enough, use a bar clamp as a big caliper, slide the bar clamp into contact with the inner and outer surfaces and mark the bar, then do the same with the other wall.

Soinds like you're of to a rocky start with you new camper, I hope everything works out for you and you get to enjoying it.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #5

Maine
Decker,

Thanks for the tip. It certainly has been a rocky start, but I hopefully get all the bugs out before we start using it.

We have decided to take our family into full time RVing next month and as such I am hopeful to get all of this stuff resolved soon.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostme View Post
Decker,

Thanks for the tip. It certainly has been a rocky start, but I hopefully get all the bugs out before we start using it.

We have decided to take our family into full time RVing next month and as such I am hopeful to get all of this stuff resolved soon.
Your welcome.

Sounds like an adventure. It's a great way to learn about the history, people, customs and cultures that make up our countries.

Happy travels.