2015 V series and some cold weather low 20F temps. camping - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2015, 02:49 AM   #1

Colorado
2015 V series and some cold weather low 20F temps. camping

We are headed up to do some cold weather camping in the mountains this coming weekend. We are hoping to not have any issues. We are expecting temps down in the low 20F and maybe lower over night. Daytime temps should reach the mid 50F. I've wrapped the fresh water drain valves and the low point drains with insulation. Converted my 12 volt battery to a 6 volt x 4 for added run time. I would like to
boon dock on this trip but If i really have to I can pay at a RV site with hook ups. Should I do anything else to prepare for the cold weather?

Any quick tips would really help.

Oh ya, I'm trying to beat the snow through the mountains so I'll be leaving on Wednesday.

As always thanks for any ideas.

bkuuz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:17 AM   #2

Wyoming
Since you're boondocking, I'm assuming you'll be carrying your own water. But if you decide to RV park it, and use their water hookup... you may wanna think about either insulating your water hose (those pool noodle floaties work great), or buying a heated hose. Otherwise, you may find you have no water for your morning shower (or toilet).

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Since you're boondocking, I'm assuming you'll be carrying your own water. But if you decide to RV park it, and use their water hookup... you may wanna think about either insulating your water hose (those pool noodle floaties work great), or buying a heated hose. Otherwise, you may find you have no water for your morning shower (or toilet).
My always plan... when I pull into an RV park the first thing I do is fill up my water tank. Then hook up park water. If I have to pull the hose due to cold weather, I have water, if the power goes out and the park is on well water, I have water. That has happened several times. Be prepared!

To the OP, how do you plan to keep your batteries topped up if you are boondocking? Generator, solar? While the 6 volt x 4 does give you some added capacity you will want to keep them charged up.

Other than that HAVE FUN!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

Colorado
Thanks for the response guys.

ATCguy, I wasn't planning on buying a heated hose this trip. Not sure how much I would use it being we don't typically go to camp grounds.

Wahoonc, I have both an onboard generator and I just picked up a 60 watt solar panel.

I feel like the biggest issue for freezing right now is the low point drains and the fresh water drains that stick four or five inches out the bottom of the trailer. I have tank heaters and will run them but those legs sticking so far down will be dead spots from the heat.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #5

Oklahoma
In that kind of cold weather you can expect the furnace to suck up the propane quickly. If you have cloudy days the solar panel is out of the equation so should only be felt as an extra.
Basically you will be living off the generator so you'll want to be able to start the generator in the morning after a long cold night of the furnace fan draining your battery bank.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #6

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuuz1 View Post
...I feel like the biggest issue for freezing right now is the low point drains and the fresh water drains that stick four or five inches out the bottom of the trailer. I have tank heaters and will run them but those legs sticking so far down will be dead spots from the heat.
Again, those pool noodles work great, and can be found at just about any Wal-Mart or Target store. Just cut to desired length, cut a slit down the side, and slide them over top.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #7

British Columbia
BK, you can use one of those water pipe heat strips to make your own heated hose. I made my heated hose with the heating strip, then wrapped the hose with insulation, then wraped the whole thing with strips of of a tarp that I cut up.

For the low point drains I wrapped them up with plenty of insulation. I am thinking of putting a "Trap Door" for the low point drains, so I can shove them up into the belly.

The biggest problem that I have had with cold weather camping is trying to stay ahead of the humidity. The humidity has a habit of finding it's "low point" and if you don't stay ahead of it you will create a great climate for mold and mildew.

I leave the bathroom fan running on low, use plenty of air dry and mop up as much of the condensation as I can and get it out of the camper.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #8

Colorado
Everyone,

thanks for the replies. All very good ideas.

hddecker, how do you stay ahead of the humidity?
Old 10-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuuz1 View Post
Everyone,

thanks for the replies. All very good ideas.

hddecker, how do you stay ahead of the humidity?
Your biggest contributor of moisture is most likely the shower, when we can we shower somewhere else, like rec centers or swimming pools.

We have a bunch of those synthetic chamois that suck up water, to wipe down the windows and walls as required.

We run the bathroom fan on low 24/7, leave the closet and any cabinet doors on outside walls open to allow air circulation.

Last but not least use lots of Calcium Chloride, that's the overpriced stuff called Dry-z-air at the RV store. Works out to around $8-10 a pound if you buy it there. Or as I do, buy Calcium Chloride in 50# buckets at a chemical supply company at $1 a pound.

My wife bought some plastic strainers from the dollar store, they sit on the rim of 1 gallon ice cream buckets. We use about 2 pounds of Calcium Chloride per strainer and set out 5 of them throughout the camper.

When we get home we put a dehumidifier in the camper and run it for about a week, turn the fans on at a medium speed, then set out fresh Calcium Chloride/ice cream buckets. Leave all the cabinet doors and closets open.

I also use a moisture meter to check in the little nooks and cranies that they haven't got alot of moisture. If I find any damp spaces I put a heater in with the fan set on low, keep checking until you bring the moisture level back down.

Most of the big box home improvement stores have moisture meters, I don't know what the price would be now, if I remember correctly, I paid around $20 for my made in the USA meter back 30 years or more. The original purpose was to check moisture content of my firewood, but it saved me from making some very costly decisions when I was shopping for an old Airstream. That choked me, I drove for 10 hours to look at the Airstream only to find the seller lied to me about moisture damage.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #10

California
Camping in 20 degree temperatures something thankfully I know nothing about.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
And I don't won't too!!!

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #12

Wyoming
I didn't want to... had no intention to... but got caught in a snowstorm in Texas last year. Four days... in south TEXAS... Who'd have thought?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-30-2015, 12:10 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
And I don't won't too!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
You ain't lived until you spend a weekend camping in freezing weather.

This is another one of lifes little mysteries that got me to thinking.

I might be able kill two birds with one stone. I hate the skylight in the shower and I hate humidity. If I can find fix the skylight part equation, I can add a fan in the shower and extend the shower walls to the ceiling.

I love lifes little mysteries!
Old 12-26-2015, 04:27 AM   #14

Alberta
Our camping season has been extended greatly with our "polar" or "arctic" package in our voltage. We have moved our camping season start dates to late march and end dates around early November. normal night temps of -10degC at night, and could reach 5degC during the day. we are located west of Edmonton Alberta, and if anyone knows Alberta weather, we can get snow and ice in August. We enjoy the double pane windows, and higher output furnace. We do, however winterize the rig in October with Rv plumbing anti freeze, and pack water in 5 gallon water bottles with a pump. we boil water on the stove or camp fire to wash dishes and wash up. no water down drains except the toilet, but put 10 gallons of Rv antifreeze in the black holding tank to prevent solid freeze up. We use an electric baseboard heater to keep the garage warm, as its floor is not insulated like the rest of the coach, so it tends to be a lot cooler in there. Haven't come across issues with condensation, I guess, perhaps the use of electric heater and fireplace may dry the air some as opposed to the furnace, that crates condensation with the burning of LPG.

My wife really does not enjoy it, but I grew up in the boy scouts movement where we did lots of camps in winter in tents and lean-to's. Its a relief to be off the ground, LOL

2012 Can-Am Commander XT 1000, 1998 golwing GL1500
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote